Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Showgunners (formerly Homicidal All-Stars) - turn-based tactics in a brutal late 21st century reality show from Hard West creators

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
You better have proper melee in this one. Click to expand... looks like melee is the only way to go deterministic?
@Kacper Szymczak what is this rng that im seeing
how can you possibly watch a 1 minute trailer and extrapolate something like this, tell me

indeed you tried to hide mechanic well. I did spot running to melee was 'guaranteed hit', while once there were percentages shown for unknown action.
Can one expect something like luck system from wild west after all?

Developer
You better have proper melee in this one. Click to expand... looks like melee is the only way to go deterministic?
@Kacper Szymczak what is this rng that im seeing
how can you possibly watch a 1 minute trailer and extrapolate something like this, tell me

indeed you tried to hide mechanic well. I did spot running to melee was 'guaranteed hit', while once there were percentages shown for unknown action.
Can one expect something like luck system from wild west after all?
Not at all.
Our research indicates that no one actually gives a f*ck, and it only complicates things for everyone.
So no.
We went with an rng that actually works, instead of trying to solve rng's problems with an alternative system.

Overall, it's far less a gimmicky game, or a "designer's game" - ie. a game designed to impress other designers, not necessarily, you know, actual people who play games for fun.
With HAS, my goal was primarly to - for once - make a game for other people, that's primarily exciting and fun.
It's by far the best game I've ever made, albeit least ambitious on paper.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is hard to say from that trailer if this will be worth playing. I hope you didn't go all Firaxis Xcom on us.

Developer
It is hard to say from that trailer if this will be worth playing. I hope you didn't go all Firaxis Xcom on us.
not sure I understand the sentiment, but I feel like I need to manage the expectations here

the closest point of reference to HAS is Mutant: Year Zero, except:
* combat is good
* abilities are great
* no duck with a shotgun
* very tight intense combat
* no stealth, that is: no way to win combat before combat
* actual gameplay in exploration

Compared to all the other games out there, HAS is all hand-crafted and carefully tuned. We made sure every combat encounter is significantly different, all enemies are distinct, choosing your team for a mission affects gameplay to a huge degree.

It's also much shorter and tighter - missions are significantly shorter and tightly packed with action, we rely on waves of enemies (as in Into The Breach), as opposed to missions taking forever to end.

In most missions you play with 3 characters (out of 6) to make sure it's not a grand complex strategy but a fast-paced tactical fuckery. I dare say its the fastest tactical game out there.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Not at all.
Our research indicates that no one actually gives a f*ck, and it only complicates things for everyone.
So no.
We went with an rng that actually works, instead of trying to solve rng's problems with an alternative system.
You_Were_The_Chosen_One.jpg

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In most missions you play with 3 characters (out of 6) to make sure it's not a grand complex strategy but a fast-paced tactical fuckery. I dare say its the fastest tactical game out there.

Only 3 characters field team is pretty sad.
By the way, have you played Dungeon of Naheulbeuk?

Looking at the trailer, the game is pretty brutal, with such a limited roster, is it one casualty and game's over?

Developer
you guys have such strong opinions about experiences you haven't had, that I wish I had such confidence about anything in life

nay

Looking at the trailer, the game is pretty brutal, with such a limited roster, is it one casualty and game's over?
nope:
* when a character is down, the rest get a temp boost
* all downed characters are revived after combat
* it's only when all are down that a game over occurs

the closest point of reference to HAS is Mutant: Year Zero, except
:|

And better camera controls, too, I hope.
it does seem better!

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
you guys have such strong opinions about experiences you haven't had, that I wish I had such confidence about anything in life

Well, I'm looking forward to it, have it wishlisted on Steam already.
Given I have yet to see how it plays, but it does not change the fact that in most squad tactics even 4 characters feel pretty limited to my taste.
What is this, baby's first tacticool?

nay

The joke "I don't read books, coz I'm a writer, not a reader" never gets old I guess.
Give it a look if you get a chance, it's one of the best tacticools in the recent years.
It shares some similarities with your game - pre-made unique characters, handcrafted encounters, fun gameplay.
Except you control more characters than in your entire cast.

Codex Year of the Donut
If I were to discuss a TV show where a group of contestants was competing in events and they got to select a limited number of contestants for events with differing challenges I'd perhaps theorize that picking contestants with certain strengths for certain activities would then become an important strategic decision
:backawayslowly:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well you don't have time to game I guess. We get to choose from 100+ games, to lower it to 5 or 1 we need to eliminate unwanted ones based on what is small info like having even less soldiers than Firaxis Xcom which was already bad at 4-6.

agris

Arcane
Patron
What does this actually mean? Is this one of those pseudo RNGs that, if you miss a shot, the next shot has a greater chance to hit to make the player feel better?

* when a character is down, the rest get a temp boost
Lame, do we get participation trophies too even if we don't win? Really, what's the thinking here other than to make it easier?

Game has cool aesthetics though, old FASA is an apt description. Although the UI is pretty bloated, aka looks industry-standard.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Hard West was pretty good. I remember not too long ago there was another dev here advertising his Running Man inspired roguelike called "Lethal Running". Didn't care for that so much, but I'll have to pick this one up when it comes out. From the supernatural wild west to this Running Man style stuff, you guys sure have good taste in coming up with settings for your games.

Developer
The joke "I don't read books, coz I'm a writer, not a reader" never gets old I guess.
HA
not true though, I play plenty
I am kinda tired with tbt though xD
unless they're exceptional

Give it a look if you get a chance, it's one of the best tacticools in the recent years.
It shares some similarities with your game - pre-made unique characters, handcrafted encounters, fun gameplay.
it does sound promising
but I looked
it is a rare case where aesthetics are so bland I don't think I will be able to stomach that
I mean, how many cutesy fantasy games can a human organism withstand, really

If I were to discuss a TV show where a group of contestants was competing in events and they got to select a limited number of contestants for events with differing challenges I'd perhaps theorize that picking contestants with certain strengths for certain activities would then become an important strategic decision
:backawayslowly:
yes, that is how it works

Well you don't have time to game I guess. We get to choose from 100+ games, to lower it to 5 or 1 we need to eliminate unwanted ones based on what is small info like having even less soldiers than Firaxis Xcom which was already bad at 4-6.
we're constantly moving towards smaller games of higher and higher quality, so you can skip the other, bloated ones and just play the good ones instead

What does this actually mean? Is this one of those pseudo RNGs that, if you miss a shot, the next shot has a greater chance to hit to make the player feel better?
you mean like almost all RNGs out there?
_maybe_

Lame, do we get participation trophies too even if we don't win? Really, what's the thinking here other than to make it easier?
well this is game design 101, i expected more of this forum tbh
the point is to reduce the difficulty spike resulting from losing a third of your team
sharp dififculty spikes are number one reason good games get dropped or refunded
it is known!

Game has cool aesthetics though, old FASA is an apt description. Although the UI is pretty bloated, aka looks industry-standard.
UI feeling like industry standard is literally what any UI designer worth their salt should aspire to
the alternative is UI that looks nothing like what gamers are used to
why not make a car steering wheel a triangle that you control with your left foot

Hard West was pretty good. I remember not too long ago there was another dev here advertising his Running Man inspired roguelike called "Lethal Running". Didn't care for that so much, but I'll have to pick this one up when it comes out. From the supernatural wild west to this Running Man style stuff, you guys sure have good taste in coming up with settings for your games.
I actually consider this my main talent, that and having things work together to make the mood and vibes strong
thank you very much, I really appreciate this comment

Codex Year of the Donut
it does sound promising
but I looked
it is a rare case where aesthetics are so bland I don't think I will be able to stomach that
It's based on a french(bear with me here) comic, rather well done humor which is very rare for the genre. Nobody was really expecting it to be good, but it was generally well received on the forum almost knocking Wasteland 3 out of its 2020 RPGOTY spot despite being much more of a tactical game. I concur with Nortar, good game and definitely good research material for gamedevs making similar games.

Developer
It's based on a french(bear with me here) comic, rather well done humor which is very rare for the genre. Nobody was really expecting it to be good, but it was generally well received on the forum almost knocking Wasteland 3 out of its 2020 RPGOTY spot despite being much more of a tactical game. I concur with Nortar, good game and definitely good research material for gamedevs making similar games.
sigh

1659431631259.png

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
why not make a car steering wheel a triangle that you control with your left foot
It's all fun and games until the pointy ends have their revenge for being stepped on that's why.

I actually consider this my main talent, that and having things work together to make the mood and vibes strong
Yeah, whatever Phantom Doctrine's faults you nailed the vibe like an amphetamaniac with a nailgun.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
it does sound promising
but I looked

True that.
I wonder how many players who prefer their tacticools to be deeper and more complex than nuXcoms missed this gem of a game just because of it's visual style.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
it does sound promising
but I looked

True that.
I wonder how many players who prefer their tacticools to be deeper and more complex than nuXcoms missed this gem of a game just because of it's visual style.
Heh if you thought this art style was bad, wait till we get you to Troubleshooter Abandoned Children.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Hard West was fucking brilliant, so definitely have my eye on this.

One of the things which made it so brilliant though was the stunning commentary by Death, and the atmospheric overworld. Interested to see how they replace that here.

Falksi

Arcane

Tbh I think Hard West often worked best when you were as a 3.

4 was fun, but it did mean some scenarios were a bit easy, and the 4th member was a bit of a spare-part/meat shield.

3 was tight and more precarious, and would be more in keeping with the tense vibe required to convey the feeling of being trapped in a deathshow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom