Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horror Adventure, I summon thee Codex!

Drakron

Arcane
The Zero / Fatal Frame / Project Zero games.

The only horror were the God damn controls, imagine what is like playing a adventure game with a Resident Evil type of camera, except when in combat it changes to a FPS ... with a fucking controller ... and the enemies turn invisible.

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
The only horror were the God damn controls, imagine what is like playing a adventure game with a Resident Evil type of camera, except when in combat it changes to a FPS ... with a fucking controller ... and the enemies turn invisible.

The game is nothing but a love letter to asian horror, so if you don't enjoy that you will not find it interesting or scary.

Other than that, Learn2play. :obviously:

You are not suposed to fight like an action game or like resident evil, the entire point of the combat is to study the patterns of the ghosts while playing defensively until you can predict what they are going to do, they maneuver into a place where you can exploit that in as few shots as possible while the area's geography play against you.

But then your criticism can be used against most of the survival horror genre so maybe you should not play games in that genre as part of the point is that the characters control like an out of control truck intentionally: You are not a commando guy with a well toned and trained body fighting ghosts with magical weapons, you are a teen girl who went there after school to find her brother and who's trying to keep the camera focused on a crazed murderous supernatural monster that teleport arounds, becomes invisible, can come out of the floor and walls, attacks from the weirdest angles, and is fucking insane to take a photograph at the very last moment before it kills her for maximun damage, a throwback, and maybe a stun to follow up with a combo.

Since you used adventure games as an example think of the fights as timing puzzles instead of action battles and you should do fine. Some examples...

Eyeless lady disappeared while advancing towards you? She's now coming at you from behind, and from inside the wall if you were backed into a corner, so run to the opposite side of the room, turn around, and try to line up a good shot.

Crawling girl always moves the head in a weird way when she's right up to you and before attacking, so you need to just be aiming where her head will be when the fatal frame appears, and reverse the direction when she's coming by the roof.

Kimono box girl is unkillable until she has started her attack and revealed her face, so keep the camera trailed where her face should be behind her hair, and shoot the very moment she peeks through as she will not do so until she's two steps away from you.

The Kusabi always moves his head up and to your right before one shotting you so just place the camera where his head will be and wait for the fatal frame (but don't get distracted or waste the shot because then he will one-shot you).

Reika slows time for you before teleporting in a random direction and coming at you with her one-shotting attack, and given the slow time effect you will have no time to change directions if you are running and she teleports in front of you (which she loves to do), so just stop right where you are when she slows down time and don't move until you are sure you know where she's NOT coming from, as from a standing position you can run in every direction without delay.

Etc.

If you are finding the controls clunky and unresponsive you are doing it wrong. Is not an action game, and the controls are perfectly fine as they are: I can attest it is possible to clear the games without ever getting killed and rarely getting touched even on hard and beyond if you play defensively instead of thinking you are strong man and must kill monsters fast and pro-actively. All you need is pattern recognition and focus on dodging around when facing new ghosts while you learn how each of them behaves before trying to actually disperse them. If you actually need controls that allow for fast reflexes and reactions once you start actively fighting them then you should spend more time studying their behaviour before actively fighting them.

Holy crap White Day is RIGHT UP MY ALLEY. Thanks for the tip, gotta hunt it down now.

Treave is awesome. Can you read Korean too or did you manage to get the english patch to work?

There's this Japanese doujin horror game, Corpse Party.

I did not knew there was a PC98 version of it. Is the voice acting in PC version worth having to play it in Japanese or is it better to just get the PSP one and be done with it? Are there any other differences between the two of them?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Treave is awesome. Can you read Korean too or did you manage to get the english patch to work?

No, sadly my Korean is non-functional. I can read the alphabet but I haven't learnt enough words yet. Got the English patch to work, with all the Korean Applocale messing around that it entails. The game has great atmosphere, but I'm not too convinced about the game mechanics of the five element key finding. I'm guessing there's some greater meaning to all this. The poor translation doesn't help... But I'll take whatever Asian horror game I can get. It's even more niche than turn-based RPGs.

I did not knew there was a PC98 version of it. Is the voice acting in PC version worth having to play it in Japanese or is it better to just get the PSP one and be done with it? Are there any other differences between the two of them?

I hold the PSP version to be the best, but again mileage may vary in terms of creepiness - there's always a personal factor for this sorta thing. Most of the scenes in the PC and PSP version are similar, just with different art. If you are the sort that absolutely loves poor doujin art ala Higurashi & Umineko style, you might prefer the PC version. Besides that, there's nothing in the PC Corpse Party that isn't on the PSP, and the PSP has the advantage of coming with more extra scenarios to play through. PSP's voice-acting is also better to me. I remember that the PC version didn't seem to be fully voiced.

Also, since it's you, the PSP sequel, Corpse Party: Book of Shadows should be even more appealing: First-person elementary school crawling. Only in Japanese for now, but that shouldn't be a problem. ;)

RatFink

Educated
Darkness Within.

Very good game but have you or anyone tried the sequel? Never heard people say anything about that one after it was released. Should probably give it a try one of these days.

If you loved the first...its worth it i say....They did the 3D OK enough...but You'll miss the Myst-view on occasions.

it's really good! captures lovecraftian horror really well! some memorable sets, few really awesome! i would say not as good as the first one, but a worthy successor! just try it! my guess is you wont regret it!

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Try to find some horror text adventure games. Those can be quite effective if you're into that sort of thing. Playing those games was actually pretty unnerving, much more so than when I played any games with graphics.

This. A good introduction to this genre is Lurking Horror, which to my surprise has not been mentioned yet in this thread.

The best one, and one of the best text adventures in general, is the amazing Anchorhead.

Frtictional Games list it as one of their main inspirations.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Alpha Polaris is a recent and fun indie horror adventure that foregoes gore for atmoshpere. The production values are top and the arctic base it is set in provides a great setting.
Eh... I find the writing to be rather bad, can't believe the game is locked to a single resolution (in this day and age?), and found the symbol puzzles infuriating.
On the other hand - hot inuit sex! :bounce:

CorpseZeb

Learned
... sex?! Well, well... That healthy fact, moving a few places up the box with Alpha Polaris, in the adventure-to-play queue.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
:necro:

Can anyone recommend any good horror adventure games from the last few years? I really liked Alpha Polaris and I have been looking for something similar, but to no avail.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Can anyone recommend any good horror adventure games from the last few years? I really liked Alpha Polaris and I have been looking for something similar, but to no avail.

What? "Donald Trump's Road to the White House" isn't good enough for you? Catch it live on Friday for the full horrific event!

But on-topic? You're kinda hosed. SOMA might be up your alley but odds are good you've been there, done that.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Surely you should give Stasis a try, especially given its local provenance.

V_K

Arcane

Goetia is pretty good and innovative.
Fran Bow too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom