Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How did CD Projekt finance Witcher 2?

Andhaira

Arcane
The Witcher 1 came out in 2007. The Witcher 2 came out in 2011. That's 4 years during which CD Projekt released no product. Are you telling me that TW 1's sales were so much that they covered the development costs of TW1 AND covered the development cost of Witcher 2 (which took 4 years)?

I find that hard to believe.

So how did CD Projekt pay their bills for 4 years?

Monocause

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
The Witcher 1 came out in 2007. The Witcher 2 came out in 2011. That's 4 years during which CD Projekt released no product. Are you telling me that TW 1's sales were so much that they covered the development costs of TW1 AND covered the development cost of Witcher 2 (which took 4 years)?

We stole a couple of German cars more than usual, that's how we did it. And since we Pollacks roll together this year we piled up some money to fund TW2. The fact that CD Projekt is afaik the biggest video game distributor in CE and has produced localised versions of popular games for the local market only helped but most of it came from stolen German cars. You yell "Hans, see hier, lager schnapps und zweiwurst niedermachen stoss ja der arsch zum autobahn!" and they always leave their car for you to steal. Easy as pie.

Black_Willow

Arcane
AndhairaX said:

You know that CD Projekt is a game publisher, right? Oh, and they own GOG.

Ah, but you miss the true question my dear Andhaira; How did they get the money to make The Witcher 1 in the first place???

dr_evil.jpg

Andhaira

Arcane
Oh ok, so they are the publisher. So how did the developer fund their development for 4 years?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I heard CD Projekt talking and heard them saying something like "retards" and "free dosbox config for money"

Currently I'm trying to find a logical connection between these

Andhaira

Arcane
Jaesun said:
This is why your country is still a 3rd would shit hole AndhairaX.

And yet, there is no homosexuality in Pakistan. So even in despair, there is some incline at the least. :smug:

Now, someone ANSWER MY DAMN QUESTION! :x

Ptosio

Arcane
They made money on publishing and then invested that in the Witcher 1, which sales helped financing the Witcher 2. Which part of it you don't understand?

The sotry I read some time ago on some Polish website went somehow like this: CDP was founded in the first half of the nineties and soon became one of the biggest game distributors in Poland. That didn't account for much as the market was heavily piracy ridden. One of their ideas on how to make Poles buy original games was to fully localise them with the voiceover made by famous actors: they did it with Baldurs Gate and managed to sold almost 20,000 copies which was considered a great success at that time. They made friends with Bioware and Interplay and continued to make money by preparing rich, fully voiced local editions of games like BG2, Planescape and Icewind Dale. In 2001 though, Interplay decided to consolise themselves and didn't release Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on PCs. CDP wen Kodex-furious with "What the fuck is that supposed to mean whot are you even thinking. Don't you know that in Poland there is no console and there won't be no potato for us. Do this new shit for PCs we demand you faggots" for which they replied "oh, silly Pollacks, don't you know that the new shit is to be streamlined to the consoles only? Stop bitchig idiots, if you want this on a PC then do it yourself, lol" and then CD Projekt felt their potato pride being spit on and said "Oh, fuck you Interplay, you thinks we can't do that? Don't understimate the potato, we'd port the fucking game so that the better people can play it to, douchebags". What finally happened though is that Interplay went into financial and legal troubles and CDP could do BG no more. But they already saw the future of decline very clearly and knew if they didn't start to make their own games, there'd be no games to sell to the elitists PC potato consumers any more and henceforth they realized they had to produce something on their own.

That's right, bitches, the early signs of consolisation spotted in 2001 were directly responsible for the fact that you are playing The Witcher 2 today. How'bout that, huh?

So, in early 2002 (yeah, it took them 5 years+ to make a goddammit game and it was still in a beta stage when they released it) they set up a games development studio in Warsaw with an aim to produce quality RPGs for the local and foreign audiences and fed them potato all that time as, as you might not know in Pakistan, potatoes grow out of another potatoes. The rest is history.

That be a potato history in a nutshell.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AndhairaX said:

Blow jobs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom