Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you treat your hardware?

Ghoulem

Erudite
Recently my friend bought a used xbox360-controller (Halo-edition). Today he brought it over to my house so we could play 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa before it was released to every other Norwegian peon wallowing in the mud outside. Then he noticed that it had bitemarks on it. Wtf?

The only thing I've ever broken is a singstar microphone after loosing an Ace of Spades-duel to a homosexual. My best friend has gone through more keyboards than Emerson, Lake and Palmer. He also destroyed his 200£ computer screen after losing some hardly significant match while playing Football Manager.

So how do you treat your equipment? Have you ever bashed your head into the screen after being bloombazzled by Oblivion, poured paint in your cabinet after dying with your lvl 78 Paladin on Hardcore Diablo II? Or are you a very controlled individual who only channel your negative emotions through message boards on RPG-based internetsites?

I used to bite and throw around my older console controllers, hehe. Some of those games could be very fucking frustrating. They are a little yellow too, probably due to my tears.

I still have two snes controllers with bite marks. There's something liberating about proving your physical superiority over the machine that just defeated you. I miss yelling insults at the top of my lungs, only to have them fall on deaf npc ears :(

Perhaps I should start doing that again? It was a very efficient stress reliever (then again, I didn't have to worry about cardiac arrest at the time)

Luzur

Good Sir
i threw my NES controllers on the floor alot, but i calmed down when i got older.

and i broke some joysticks on the C64, but that was mostly when playing Sex Games.

CrimHead

Scholar
Spilled orange juice on my keyboard once... Had to take out all my keys and clean the inside since I'm playing on a laptop.

But no, I never do anything like that out of frustration.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I spill drink and food on my keyboard all the time. I don't break hardware thought. If I get angry I throw empty bottles at the wall or something.

888 posts. Yeeeeah.

Micmu

Magister
I broke like 8 keyboards, usually out of frustration. It's kinda funny how all the keys shoot all over the room if you hit it with both fists full force :)
I kicked the box once and ruined the hard drive.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I treat my hardware with the respect it deserves.

Work properly and it will live for as long as it can. Piss me off and it ends up beneath my car's wheels.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
When I'm frustrated. Usually when shit doesn't work and it should, I vent my frustration on the desk by hitting it hard.

I treat my hardware well, it treats me well in return. Sometimes it just has it's bitchy moment... like everything.

desocupado

Magister
I don't hit/bite/kick my stuff, but since I live about 50 meters from the ocean in a tropical country, the humidity destroys everything. If I turn off my pc and let it cool off, it does not turn on again.

I once took a hammer to an opened CD drive, then put it back together and took it to a PC store to ask if there was maybe something wrong with it and if they could fix it.

Nowdays, I'm pretty mellow.

VooghKhloor

Novice
WhiskeyWolf said:
When I'm frustrated. Usually when shit doesn't work and it should, I vent my frustration on the desk by hitting it hard.
That's what I usually did. Until I manged to draw blood by hitting too hard. After doing that a couple of times, I decided to calm down a bit.
Usually, such rage inducements were caused by various game with shitty controls and camera. These days I just calmly stop whatever I'm doing when it's starting to frustrate me, and do something else.

I have managed to accidentally spill drinks on a couple of keyboards and a laptop, though.

spectre

Arcane
I once spilled beer on my laptop by accident. Poor thing didn't like it one bit and hasn't been the same since.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I treat it very well, even when it pisses me off. I'm just calm person in general and never let my emotions take over.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Compared to 8-bit days I treat it really well but current joysticks / pads couldn't handle the Track & Field / Decathlon abuse anyways so it just makes sense. I wouldn't mind one of those X-arcade joysticks to have a real go at Track & Field & co with mame without the fear of everything going to pieces instantly.

1eyedking

Erudite
I'm a pretty irascible guy, so yes, I've broken quite a couple of hardware pieces in the past, particularly lots of keyboard legs (including their patched versions, and their makeshift replacements).

Frau Bishop

Erudite
When I was young I broke a Competition Pro. With a steel saw.
It took some time, but I was very angry. And it was a just cause.
Nowadays I'm a good ruler, no cruel punishment anymore. Vaccuming the fans every month has to be enough combined with some manual dusting.

Hmmm. I was looking for related pics just for the sake of it and I found this.
NSFW possibly, so just a link:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7849/hoover.jpg

Is he doing it wrong? It looks somehow different.

relootz

Scholar
Frau Bishop said:
When I was young I broke a Competition Pro. With a steel saw.
It took some time, but I was very angry. And it was a just cause.
Nowadays I'm a good ruler, no cruel punishment anymore. Vaccuming the fans every month has to be enough combined with some manual dusting.

Hmmm. I was looking for related pics just for the sake of it and I found this.
NSFW possibly, so just a link:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7849/hoover.jpg

Is he doing it wrong? It looks somehow different.

:mad: frau bishop grrrr

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom