Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many of you are former FromSoftware fans?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
After Dark Souls 3 (never played Sekiro since I don't like the setting of it).

I found original Dark Souls 2 lacking in many aspects (world building, graphics, multiplayer), and thus was heavily disappointed by it. Therefore my hype for Dark Souls 3 was pretty low. Turns out Dark Souls 3 was as worse as Dark Souls 2, because it moved the whole gameplay aspect into a completely different direction (with main offenders being roll spam becoming the norm, game being too linear, and normal poise from DS1 gone). Elden Ring fucked up multiplayer even more, and the open world aspect was completely unnecessary (with the game having flaws that every other big open world also has). I found that game to be a really bore to play through.

Maybe I just grew tired of the whole formula, but I am pretty much done with the Souls series as a whole really.
Sekiro is their best game so far

Dr1f7

Scholar
idk if i gave up on them entirely, maybe just the souls entries. i beat + loved dark souls 1 and sekiro, would have liked to play bloodborne.. I'm certainly not nearly as hype about them as I was 10 years ago, tho

i've started ds2/3/ER and gotten like 10% of the way through each but honestly the games are just tiresome to play they're just really hard and since I've played thru dark souls 1, 2/3/ and ER just feel like more of the same so I'm not really motivated to ram my head against a boss for 30 attempts just to see whatever next reused asset they throw at you. the imbalance is frustrating too, because the builds I like to play in those games always seem to be the weakest and most punishing.

though I do always have fun screwing around with invasions/co-op whenever they release a new souls title, even though their terrible netcode sucks and their ai can't handle fighting more than 1 pc

more interested in going back and trying their old titles like king's field and that one horror game, and looking forward to them making more games that aren't dark souls

Arvennios

Educated
I have yet to play a "Souls" game, but I did play "Kuon" for a bit back in the day, does that count ? Anyway, it was too creepy and scary for my liking, but that song/lullaby stuck with me to this day.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Fanboy showed me another Elden Ring pic, and I still just think: depressing.

4322551-eldenring-20220420171951.jpg

FromSoftware became so one-note.

I don't think I'm imagining that FromSoftware went for a dimmer color pallet in recent years.

"And the image isn't even in HDR," he said. Elden Ring is one of the games that looks worse in HDR. More washed out. If you want to almost feel the warmth of light, play The Last Guardian in HDR.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
ER was on the whole, disappointing to me. They butchered multiplayer, the combat became about spamming ashes and the open world is completely unnecessary and actually detracts from the experience.

I haven't given up on them but I'm genuinely not interested in another souls game unless I hear it's going to be dungeon and invasion focused.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elden Ring is my favorite game of theirs right after the original Dark Souls.
I don't care about boss fights much so the spirit ashes are a good addition to get them over with more quickly, and I play offline with mods, don't like multiplayer aspects invading my single player games.
The open world is great, the legacy dungeons even better, there's a lot to explore and discover and I'm an explorefag at heart so that's the most important part of an RPG for me.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Boo Hoo: The Thread

I'm so sorry FS is infinitely better than your favorite dev. Realistically speaking there could only ever be one who made masterpiece after masterpiece after masterpiece, so on and so forth.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
Loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Liked Bloodborne. Once the series became rollspam retardation around Dark Souls 2/Dark Souls 3 I completely lost interest.

I played a bit of Elden Ring and it wasn't bad but I have zero interest in open world games at this point.

It's funny to me how many people don't realize that Fromsoft has a pretty massive catalogue of games outside of the soulsborne stuff - for example, there's a pretty kickass PS2 horror game by them called Kuon which even has a bit of Souls DNA to it.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I played a bit of Elden Ring and it wasn't bad but I have zero interest in open world games at this point.
That's too bad because open world games haven't been this good in a long ass time. Elden Ring, Dragon's Dogma 2, and Tears of the Kingdom/BotW are pure incline. The days of Ubisoft style open world games are dead.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
That's too bad because open world games haven't been this good in a long ass time. Elden Ring, Dragon's Dogma 2, and Tears of the Kingdom/BotW are pure incline. The days of Ubisoft style open world games are dead.
My problem with open-world games is that they're not usually designed with the open-world in mind. BOTW/Tears of the Kingdom is an exception to this and it's spectacular. One of the few games that have perfected open world game design.

When I played Elden Ring I didn't feel like the open world actually added anything to the gameplay and lost interest like 10 hours in.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
My problem with open-world games is that they're not usually designed with the open-world in mind. BOTW/Tears of the Kingdom is an exception to this and it's spectacular. One of the few games that have perfected open world game design.

When I played Elden Ring I didn't feel like the open world actually added anything to the gameplay and lost interest like 10 hours in.
I agree that the open world format didn't benefit the Dark Souls formula quite as much as it did Zelda. Elden Ring doesn't have all of the fun physics shit that made BotW and TotK so much fun.

Ezekiel

Arcane
You can't build a big open world and make fighting the only gameplay. Way too monotonous. Can't believe one of the Souls fans told me (before I had played Elden Ring) that the stamina in Breath of the Wild should be unlimited when you're not fighting or seen. It's so stupid in Elden Ring; highlights how unsuited FromSoftware's design is to an open world.

abija

Prophet
Enjoy wonderful vistas, explore carefuly handcrafted world, kill shit. Simple and fun. Maybe stop projecting your dumb fuckery into the world.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The best thing about Souls games was the multiplayer aspect. Reading other players' messages, summoning allies, dealing with invanders. The fandom downplayed this to focus on bosses, 'the meta' and lore.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Me.

Gave up on them because of the increased focus on action but without any improvements to action gameplay. FromSoftware's boss combat sucks and always has sucked. :)

Since deliberate map design, cool online interactions and good music are long gone, there's no reason at all to play FromSoft games.
Perfect summary.

For me, the decline in map design is by far the most significant reason. In 200 hours or so (2 and a half playthroughs) of Elden Ring, I have never felt the amazement I felt like a couple dozen times during my first playthroughs of Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2. Endless boring wastelands of mostly nothing, with some "legacy dungeons" (right) thrown in that can't hold a candle to the best areas of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2, and copy-pasted shit everywhere.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Make enemies faster, give them trickier animations, longer combos, more rapid stamina, more devastating hits. But no real enhancements for you. Not that feints, prolonged windups, delayed hits and such would help you as the player, since the AI is so simplistic.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
But no real enhancements for you.
Except that is not true, so all your blah blah blah starts on a wrong foundation.
Oh joy, switching weapon style now requires TWO buttons. Try not to mess up. Needed to move event actions to top face button so that you could jump more easily, because mostly sticking with the dated control scheme no matter what.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You can't build a big open world and make fighting the only gameplay. Way too monotonous. Can't believe one of the Souls fans told me (before I had played Elden Ring) that the stamina in Breath of the Wild should be unlimited when you're not fighting or seen. It's so stupid in Elden Ring; highlights how unsuited FromSoftware's design is to an open world.
Ah, this made it click for me why Elden Ring soured for me after a while' it really is all combat. The worst part is, they did a fakeout of pretending to have other things to do. But the material/crafting system is a giant waste of time, since out of a 80 hour game you might spend a total of 5 minutes productively gathering or crafting materials, if that, and the rest is just endless disappointment at finding garbage to make more garbage. It dangled the prospect of exploring to find hidden loot, but I swear I found more arteria leaves than genuinely exciting pieces of equipment in chests. Why are those even in the game? What madman would decide to fill so many chests with what amounts to a joke item? People meme about the swamps but it's the item placement guy that's really gone off the deep end.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
People meme about the swamps but it's the item placement guy that's really gone off the deep end.
I am enjoying the DLC but said item guy has really committed to the bit and has decided that the reward that players want the most for completing legacy dungeons or finding out of the way hidden areas is a cookbook. I guess at least the 'CAN I BEAT ELDEN RING USING ONLY CONSUMABLES??' youtube guys will get a little variety.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom