Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many of you are former FromSoftware fans?

Stoned Ape

Savant
Boo Hoo: The Thread

I'm so sorry FS is infinitely better than your favorite dev. Realistically speaking there could only ever be one who made masterpiece after masterpiece after masterpiece, so on and so forth.
I enjoy Elden Ring considerably less than I do Capcom's ARPGs. Although the exploration and visual design is fantastic, I find it a far more frustrating experience to play and I far prefer the gameplay loop of DD:DA or DD2.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

I'm so sorry FS is infinitely better than your favorite dev. Realistically speaking there could only ever be one who made masterpiece after masterpiece after masterpiece, so on and so forth.
I enjoy Elden Ring considerably less than I do Capcom's ARPGs. Although the exploration and visual design is fantastic, I find it a far more frustrating experience to play and I far prefer the gameplay loop of DD:DA or DD2.
DD2 is in fact better than Elden Ring.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron

DD2 is in fact better than Elden Ring.
DD2 showcases the decline of Capcom, while Elden Ring showcases the decline of Fromsoft.
They both should've been better than they turned out to be, considering the previous games.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Realistically speaking there could only ever be one who made masterpiece after masterpiece after masterpiece, so on and so forth.

Sure, but Shigeru Miyamoto works for another company altogether.

Make enemies faster, give them trickier animations, longer combos, more rapid stamina, more devastating hits. But no real enhancements for you.

Spirit ashes and ashes of war are figments of my imagination, I suppose.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I don't know what that shit is. Gonna explore the south, but feel like I'm cheating after you told me.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Lol guys defending souls games even though they are not that good compared to the previous entries.

The most irritating thing about souls fans is that they think that it is the best in the whole entire universe of video games and defend it to death. Iam playing elden ring and i can say that this game has one of the worse open world compared to other action rpgs. I feel there is no strategy in the placement of enemies in elden ring and it has been voted as one of the greatest rpgs of all time.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Fanboy showed me another Elden Ring pic, and I still just think: depressing.

4322551-eldenring-20220420171951.jpg

FromSoftware became so one-note.

I don't think I'm imagining that FromSoftware went for a dimmer color pallet in recent years.

"And the image isn't even in HDR," he said. Elden Ring is one of the games that looks worse in HDR. More washed out. If you want to almost feel the warmth of light, play The Last Guardian in HDR.
Is that how it's supposed to look? Because on my setup there is less color, the reason I keep mentioning Roger Deakins.

ELDEN-RING-2024-06-24-19-41-1.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
I don't know what that shit is. Gonna explore the south, but feel like I'm cheating after you told me.
Just thoroughly explore next time you're beating head against a wall. It's the game's way of telling you you're not ready yet. It's really RPGaming 101.
Thought I was in the Elden Ring thread. "You" meaning Zed.

Couldn't tell you how much I explored these areas. Don't know what most of them are until I warp there again.

ELDEN-RING-2024-06-24-13-56.jpg
IIRC, you should have sufficiently explored Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula to have obtained four golden seeds (enough to increase the number of flask charges from 4 to 7), have obtained four sacred tears (upgrading the flask effect from +0 to +4), have obtained enough smithing stones to upgrade your preferred weapon to +6, and found a number of useful weapons, armor, items (especially the green turtle talisman), ashes of war, and spirit ashes (including the jellyfish).

Anyway, I crossed the southern bridge before the fogged part of the map. But was already bored again by the time I got there. Would NEVER make an open world if I had their resources.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I space out my playthroughs of Fromsoft games because they are so similar and its easy to overfeed on the genre, but i still like what they do and i am among the minority of people here who think Elden Ring is one of their best works.

Yuber

Educated
After 4 Souls games it got boring. Was always the same just with different areas.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Is that how it's supposed to look? Because on my setup there is less color, the reason I keep mentioning Roger Deakins.

It's on the bland side. It sucks that it's the only area in the open world game.
I mean, he's using this pic as a gotcha.

4324488-eldenring-20220327174944.jpg

Telling me my TV is messed up because my screenshots look wrong, as if display determines screenshot color/brightness. How can you not see that it's dim, like there's a cloud permanently over the whole land.

Ezekiel

Arcane
"I understand how it works perfectly fine. You show me screenshots with no color on them, as if you were looking at a wall of rocks. No shit it looks dull, its one color on your screen. I took this picture with actual colors on the screen, so if this looks dull to you, on YOUR monitor, then you have a massive issue with your monitor."

Urgh...

MasPingon

Arcane

It's on the bland side. It sucks that it's the only area in the open world game.
I mean, he's using this pic as a gotcha.

4324488-eldenring-20220327174944.jpg

Telling me my TV is messed up because my screenshots look wrong, as if display determines screenshot color/brightness. How can you not see that it's dim, like there's a cloud permanently over the whole land.
We call it fog. And yes, in Elden Ring there is also a fog sometimes.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The only thing I really want now is Sekiro 2.

I loved the classic souls combat but too much of a good thing is bad and I agree it's gotten stale. The boss design of "fucker is comboing and spinning like a blender for a minute and then gives you a second-long attack window.... rinse and repeat" is getting way too retarded, especially compared to phenomenal boss fights like Genichiro, Owl or Sword Saint.

The only problem of the Sekiro combat is it's really only suited for fights with humanoids, so no dragons or amazing beasts like DD2, but fuck it, playing SotE now and I need a palate cleanser.

I had lots of fun with Sekiro but I'm wondering if it would be a great idea to continue it. They probably would just come up with annoying ways to make combat harder, because their sequel always has to remain challenging for veterans of series. Though I guess a second game might still be decent enough. If they'd actually expand the combat to allow of larger variety of playstyles, could even be great. Just doesn't seem likely given the "evolution" of Souls combat.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Well, continued south, came to Castle Morne. Found another try-hard shit boss. Series just been serving the same consumers for too long. Inbred. Just circling around, rolling, rolling, rolling, as they do these spinning attacks, all the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom