Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How often do you skip cutscenes?

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
When I was younger I thought sitting still watching digital characters sitting still doing exposition might add something extra to the games and improve the experience.

I have grown up since.

ds

Cipher
Patron
There are so many games doing away with cutscenes to deliver their story through solid gameplay (SOMA, Obra Dinn, The Outer Wilds, etc.) that I believe cutscenes are the lazy developer solution. If anything, I'd rather have the wall-of-text-in-your-face approach of Age of Decadence and read a well-written paragraph than to suffer through those tedious moments that are almost never interesting nor well played.
SOMA at least has Half-Life-esque totally-not-a-cutscene NPC monologues. Done badly where you are confined to a relatively small area without anything for the player to do these can be much worse than real cutscenes because without a cutscene interface there is also no way to skip them and are forced to watch things play out. In SOMA an additional problem is that the protagonist isn't silent and you have to listen to the character you are supposedly playing right now make statements that are retarded with even an average players understanding of what's going on.

A game without any story is nihilistic. The games that lack a story tend to be old arcade games, where obtaining the highest score and mastering the game was a "story" in and of itself. But even if you're talking about a Japanese SHMUP, the visuals alone tell a vague story of some kind. Some even include short story segments/cutscenes that can be fast forwarded.
Games should strive to tell their story through the gameplay first and only resort to other options when that's not possible (and even then, consider a story better suited to the medium).

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
SOMA at least has Half-Life-esque totally-not-a-cutscene NPC monologues. Done badly where you are confined to a relatively small area without anything for the player to do these can be much worse than real cutscenes because without a cutscene interface there is also no way to skip them and are forced to watch things play out. In SOMA an additional problem is that the protagonist isn't silent and you have to listen to the character you are supposedly playing right now make statements that are retarded with even an average players understanding of what's going on.
I'd rather have those monologues when you're in control of your character, but you're right the SOMA protagonist is tiring sometimes.
Still better for immersion than KCD that has a cutscene everytime you pick weeds or talk to your dog.

ds

Cipher
Patron
I'd rather have those monologues when you're in control of your character, but you're right the SOMA protagonist is tiring sometimes.
Yes, done well they are infinitely better than taking control away from the player.

Iucounu

Educated
There are so many games doing away with cutscenes to deliver their story through solid gameplay (SOMA, Obra Dinn, The Outer Wilds, etc.) that I believe cutscenes are the lazy developer solution. If anything, I'd rather have the wall-of-text-in-your-face approach of Age of Decadence and read a well-written paragraph than to suffer through those tedious moments that are almost never interesting nor well played.
SOMA at least has Half-Life-esque totally-not-a-cutscene NPC monologues. Done badly where you are confined to a relatively small area without anything for the player to do
Not sure what you mean there. In SOMA almost all talking is related to quests, meaning you have a quest to do, and with as much freedom of movement as can be expected in a corridor game. Often the talking is also the logical result of player action, like interacting with communication devices, in contrast with most cutscene games where control is taken away from the player at any unexpected and/or inconvenient moment.

these can be much worse than real cutscenes because without a cutscene interface there is also no way to skip them and are forced to watch things play out.
Obviously you can't skip the very quests that the talking is part of. But the writing in SOMA is so much better than the inane cutscenes in most other games that I don't see why you'd even want that in the first place.

There is one part where you are stuck riding the elevator into the abyss while Catherine talks a little, but I see her talking there as a way to make the long ride more interesting than if nothing happened.

A game without any story is nihilistic. The games that lack a story tend to be old arcade games, where obtaining the highest score and mastering the game was a "story" in and of itself. But even if you're talking about a Japanese SHMUP, the visuals alone tell a vague story of some kind. Some even include short story segments/cutscenes that can be fast forwarded.
Games should strive to tell their story through the gameplay first and only resort to other options when that's not possible (and even then, consider a story better suited to the medium).
Agree completely.

Losus4

Novice
I simply don't play games which are story-centric to begin with. When I click "new game" I want to immediately be dropped into the world and have the game just get out of my way. Best for this is STALKER: Anomaly... the game just randomly places you in the world with no cutscenes, forced dialogue or any instances in which control is snatched away from the player.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Cutscenes are not for skipping unless it's not my first time seeing them. Usually.
Dialogues that take forever to get to the point are for practicing speedreading.
Books, notes and datapads containing paragraphs of irrelivant shit about some totally original fictional world are for skipping. Usually.
There's a specific type of cutscene I skip on instinct and I don't know why. A lot of indie games do it. There's a type of intro cutscene right after you click new game where there'll be a panning shot of an old faded map, and then an old english guy will start narrating with some shit like "In the Year 448 of the Era of Alberon, two kingdoms battled for dominance" and 100% of the time I'm like fuck this, I don't care, I'll just glean whatever I need from playing the game.
Writer who can't make you feel immersed from the very first sound yer old english guy makes is a hack writer.
On a slightly more serious note Dungeon Lords is a good example of a starting narration done right methinks.

Zlaja

Arcane
What really drives ME up the wall are not cutscenes of questionable quality, but rather those annoying forced slow-walk sequenses, where the protagonist is having a conversation with another character and you have to endure the whole story exposition thing with no chance to skip that crap.

Iucounu

Educated
What really drives ME up the wall are not cutscenes of questionable quality, but rather those annoying forced slow-walk sequenses, where the protagonist is having a conversation with another character and you have to endure the whole story exposition thing with no chance to skip that crap.
You mean those where the NPC walks much slower than the protagonist, so you have to wait for the NPC again and again?

I agree as well, but there are setpieces and interactions that are simply impossible to convey through gameplay. Even the likes of Half-Life originally had a few cutscenes, one including a female scientist that was supposed to betray you to the marines, but those had to be scrapped due to time constraints. Did it's removal have any impact on Half-Life's barebones plot?, no, but it shows that even Valve felt some cutscenes were necessary to add flavor to the game. Even that one scene where you are dumped in the trash compactor was a cutscene, not gameplay. I can think of many moments in games that simply wouldn't click as well if it were told while I was shooting at monsters, or walking along a corridor. I also do not think walls of text are an appropriate way to tell a video game story either, far too static and dull for an interactive medium.

I will say the last time I enjoyed ANY story in a video game was Left 4 Dead 2. That game does exactly what you are saying, as the entire game's plot is told through humurous character dialogue and the environment. But it works because it doesn't take itself seriously, it's not trying to be another "Walking Dead" or "Dawn of the Dead" style rant against mankind. The exact opposite to Left 4 Dead 2, is The Last of Us. Which was written by a jew and tries to take itself TOO seriously, and as a result is loaded with cutscenes and subversive themes. Cutscenes are the game, in essence.

So to me it's a balancing act. Remove as much unnecessary chaff and bloat from the game as possible, but where necessary add a few short cutscenes to add a bit of "punch" to the game.

I never skip "real" cutscenes that are important for the story. But I often skip these cutscene-like dialogues with voiced NPCs once I am finished reading the subtitles. I don't need to see and hear a zoomed in NPC face with voiceover.

Froila

Educated
Most game screenwriters and authors are completely pathetic, so there is no point to pay extra attention on their creative efforts.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I agree as well, but there are setpieces and interactions that are simply impossible to convey through gameplay. Even the likes of Half-Life originally had a few cutscenes, one including a female scientist that was supposed to betray you to the marines, but those had to be scrapped due to time constraints. Did it's removal have any impact on Half-Life's barebones plot?, no, but it shows that even Valve felt some cutscenes were necessary to add flavor to the game. Even that one scene where you are dumped in the trash compactor was a cutscene, not gameplay. I can think of many moments in games that simply wouldn't click as well if it were told while I was shooting at monsters, or walking along a corridor. I also do not think walls of text are an appropriate way to tell a video game story either, far too static and dull for an interactive medium.

I will say the last time I enjoyed ANY story in a video game was Left 4 Dead 2. That game does exactly what you are saying, as the entire game's plot is told through humurous character dialogue and the environment. But it works because it doesn't take itself seriously, it's not trying to be another "Walking Dead" or "Dawn of the Dead" style rant against mankind. The exact opposite to Left 4 Dead 2, is The Last of Us. Which was written by a jew and tries to take itself TOO seriously, and as a result is loaded with cutscenes and subversive themes. Cutscenes are the game, in essence.

So to me it's a balancing act. Remove as much unnecessary chaff and bloat from the game as possible, but where necessary add a few short cutscenes to add a bit of "punch" to the game.
Half-Life had ingame cutscenes, which are the best kind of cutscenes, to be honest, as they make sense within the game world.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I skip them more and more. Have been doing it to some extent for years. I try, but the devs are almost all so pretentious and bad at it.
When I start game and try to find proper graphic settings to be sure I can play it properly.

Half-Life had ingame cutscenes, which are the best kind of cutscenes, to be honest, as they make sense within the game world.
But those are the worst kind, because they're baked into the gameplay and you can't skip them. The way Half-Life did it was the 'most' disrespectful to the player. At least genuine cutscenes are usually skippable, but with Half-Life you either have to sit through the ENTIRE opening tram ride sequence every time, or use a console command. Which is far from the intended way to experience the game and doesn't excuse it at all.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
I tried several times back then, always rage-quit 10 minutes in or so.
Played Counterstrike as well when it got popular, but returned to Quake3 quite quickly.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I skip them more and more. Have been doing it to some extent for years. I try, but the devs are almost all so pretentious and bad at it.
When I start game and try to find proper graphic settings to be sure I can play it properly.
You talking about cutscene before first settings screen? Why do they do that? Or throwing right into cutscene followed by gameplay. No point presenting the cutscene to me if I haven't even made sure yet that it plays correctly on my setup.

Edit: Oh, no, that's not what you meant. I get it. Benchmark tests should be more common.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i found half-life to be pretty meh. enjoyed unreal and even blood 2 much more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom