Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How RPGs Were A 30-Year Detour

MisterStone

Arcane
Hey guyz back when you were a kid playing PnP Dungeons and Dragons, at heart you really just wanted to be LARPing. I mean, look how LARPing obsoleted all PnP games amirite?

Gondolin

Arcane
matt.png

Matthew Findley worked with Mr. Fargo at Interplay Entertainment since 1989.

Decline of an oldfag.

MisterStone

Arcane
So if we were to interview this guy ourselves, what would be some good questions? One that stands out in my mind:

"How does it feel to be working on a shitty Prince of Persia ripoff?"

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
There's kind of this convergence across all games where the genres are really getting blurred. Like, I don't think people playing BioShock realize they're playing an RPG. Or even in Grand Theft Auto, you go into the weight room and pump up your character. There are all these elements of your character getting better. That's what those games are really about.

This sounds familiar.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5141/biowa ... s-audience
With Dragon Age II’s release imminent, senior producer Fernando Melo feels the sequel has far more reach than Origins, even potentially attracting the same kind of crowd that flocks to gaming’s biggest franchise, Call Of Duty.

Speaking to NowGamer Melo said: “We have data that shows there are a lot of people that enjoy playing RPGs although they won’t necessarily call them RPGs. They’ll play Fallout, Assassin’s Creed and even Call Of Duty, which have these progression elements – you’re putting points into things – but they don’t necessarily associate that as an RPG. So we think that if we expand that out we’ll attract a much bigger audience.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6 ... php?page=4
For me, I guess, fundamentally, there are more people who are ready to play RPGs than realize it. These are people who will play FarmVille. These are people who have shot enough people in the head that they've leveled up in Medal of Honor. They've gained XP and have received awards as a result. That's an RPG mechanic. They've played [Grand Theft Auto] San Andreas and they've run enough, and gotten buff enough, that their endurance is a higher. They've leveled.

So I think there's more people out there with RPGs, and then it's honestly on RPGs to try to figure out how to take the mechanics that people are actually loving in other genres and say, "No, no, no. We had those years ago, but we understand that they kind of were scary."

So there was no mandate, but I mean there were decisions that we made as a team that said, "Okay, this is, I think, more welcoming." Not "dumbed down" or anything like that, but welcoming. Like starting the game, your character walks up, says something kind of over the top, and immediately starts exploding Darkspawn. I haven't set my decks at all. I haven't spent points.

What it does, is it lets you get into the game and go, "Okay, cool. This is what their combat is like. I get that." Then the next thing you do is build your character.

Then you level up and you start spending points, and the RPG mechanics are introduced in a way that's gradual, in a way that welcomes someone who would otherwise maybe go, "Whoa! Too complex!" and shut it off immediately, and lets them slide into it without even recognizing it ‑‑ which frankly, ideally increases the overall RPG customer base, which means we can make more RPGs, which means I can play more RPGs that I don't know the ending to. I like that.

Mortmal

Arcane
micmu said:
My C64 was so powerful it ran mostly action games.

Commodore machines were waaaay ahead of their time , ah the C64

last_ninja_2_screenshot.jpg

ninja3.gif

Adventure games with real time , fast paced action!

bdefendercrown.gif

Real time fencing, jousting , sieging!!

bsentinel.gif

Real time strategying !

timesoflore.gif

An action rpg with real time combat!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well when the classic RPG designers go full retard, it doesn't surprise me that some obscure dude goes even further to get some recognition from the industry.

Shemar

Educated
Vagiel said:
I realize its marketing talk, i realize he does not mean it, but it still hurts...
No, he does. The world is full of morons that just don't get it and many of them are running the gaming industry.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I used to think that older gamers would've known the differences between Ultima or the Gold Box titles and Golden Axe and Galaga and been able to choose a preference one way or the other. I now realize they're all the same thing, just some better realize the fullness of the action potential they strive for.

:retarded:

MCA
When I play RPGs, I really want to go out there and get some action but legal technological limitations prevent me from experiencing anything for real short of LARPing with morons, so I am limited to this ridiculous trend of "vee-dee-oh gayems". God, how archaic. I can't wait for future for action games to become obsolete!

grdja

Augur
Why do they even bother to bring the "no game would have ever been boring dumb turn based if only we had NextGen(tm) technology back then" argument?

Their audience learned to read and write in the 3rd millennium, they don't know of anything other than NextGen(tm)

CorpseZeb

Learned
Why everyone sound so surprised? In spite of lack definition of Role Playing Game (we have only somewhat fuzzy set of core, proper RPG titles, to which we can add some games or remove them, but this still not a definition, but bunch of examples) every game can be called “Role Playing WOW Button Experience” – from Sudoku to Crysis 2.

But, yeah, I wondering why many developers nowadays insist on calling their action game a rpg game. Is't some magical selling point? (sort like... look, mom, this is serious rpg not stupid action game, y'know, these zombies have not only boobs but statistic also...).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Disgusting subhuman vermin. Filthy larper scum.

Matt Burton said:
I can't get past the line "I think these games always wanted to be action games at their heart. I think all those old turn-based games, it's just that's all the technology would allow."

Oh, yeah, if those designers back in the day had only had better tech, they'd have made Hunted instead of Pool of Radiance and Wasteland. If only!

I really wish designers would seriously study videogame history instead of buying into the linear view that what is made with better tech is inherently better. Any good designer would know better than that.
At least one man there stands up for the truth :love: .

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I fully expect Hunted to be as 'awesome' as that Bard's Tale remake.

Achilles

Arcane
Jasede said:
I want to press a button and something awesome happens!!!

That only happens in RPGs, in action games you don't even have to press the button. You just do awesome stuff, all the time. Get with the times bro!

FT7k4.gif

VentilatorOfDoom said:
that's definitely part of it. I mean, the reason those games were turn-based sword battles is that was the only option you had. I think, now you get that twitch element of "me at the controller." When you take the monster down because you successfully hit, blocked, switched to exploding arrows, and shot him in the head, you're getting that same depth that you would have had through 30 years ago D&D experience, but it's happening fast-paced, quick, and in real-time for a modern audience that wants to see action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom