Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age How to Enjoy Dragon Age: Origins

Butter

Arcane
Patron
i just started PoE 2, but PoE 1 wasnt even close to DAO, i actually dont know how you stood that game and cant stand DAO, theres a bunch of trash mobs in PoE 1 on top of the most expositive dialogue in the entire medium. its very bad.
I managed to finish PoE, and have gone back more than once to replay it. I cannot say the same for DAO.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is there a mod that tastefully cuts like half of the thrash mobs out of the game? And increases the difficulty perhaps? I would never try to playcthis game again without something like that.
I managed to finish PoE,
At least DAO gives you xp for its trash mobs. PoE is a dopamine fast of crpgs.

Monolith

Prophet
My sister kept bugging me about how great DA:O was and that I need to give it another try. So I did. I did get hooked briefly as some combat encounters kept kicking my ass if i didn't deploy typical cheesy tactics.

But I couldn't take the story / characters / dialogs / bland worldbuilding and the cringe. It is bad. BAD bad. I don't remember having played anything worse. Are the remaining Dragon Age games the same? I remember Vault Dweller praised DA Inquisition quite a bit but I just can't imagine how anything good can come out of that setting and backdrop.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
These are the baseline mods you need imo -
Q3lCxDZ.jpeg

The underlined textures are optional but are good. As far as I can gather, there are no good difficulty mods apart from the AI mod.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I really don't know what's up with this obsession over romances and fictional characters fucking.

behold_a_man

Educated
It's "tactical" in a way that:
1. Kill mage first.
Have you ever seen a game where starting a combat by killing a squishy enemy with the greatest amount of options is consistently suboptimal? And mages, in pretty much all games they appear, are the characters with low health pools and many things to screw me over with.

Also, I don't think the amount of combat encounters is a problem in a game that wanted to showcase its combat system and character development. If anything can be a problem, it is the system not being good enough, progression being too slow or meaningless, or encounter design being highly unsatisfactory. Personally, I enjoyed the combat and character development here more than in any Dungeons & Dragons game (I haven't played Begue's games or Temple of Elemental Evil though); most encounters didn't have anything memorable about them, but the same can be said about most games with a focus on fighting.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The city elf quests had some hardcore evil options. Like taking a bribe to let your friend get raped by a noble.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
If you play as a dwarf noble there's a bit more political intrigue as one of your brothers falsely accuses you of killing the King and you get exiled and ultimately made a Gray Warden because of it. One of the better origin stories, they did dwarves justice in DAO in a way they never did again
One of the few things i actually liked about the plot was how you get a bad ending for dwarfs if you don't let the treacherous brother win the throne. His opposition is too much of a bitch to shake the status quo and will get his ass assassinated unless you give him golems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom