Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How will FO3 influence TESV?

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Okay, CF, whilst I do enjoy all your moronic shit here, explain the merit of this thread and I will give you a cookie.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Cloaked Figure said:
well, we could have a discussion about 'How will FO3 influence TESV' since fo3 sold better than oblivion, they will obviously want to put those elements that made it sell more into TES. discussing what those elements might be, was the point of this thread.

but i guess all you rabid thistle niggers trying to get ccc cna'tr be stopped.

Fail. There. Is. No. TESV. It is an announced title. Why don't we discuss at length every game that's not even on the horizon in comparison to titles created earlier by the same developer. Or. I don't know. Discuss topics that have some grounding in reality. These fucking idiotic threads about NOTHING are completely moot.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Cloaked Figure said:
how do u explain bethesda copyrighting skyfall or w/e it's called? huh? they did that for shits n giggles, eh?eh?

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, CF. In fact, I spend a lot of time being completely perplexed by some of the things you post.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Fuck, why did I actually believe I would get a reasonable response from you? Oh, and stop creating idiotic threads.

That is all.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tintin said:
Jaesun said:
If you honestly had actual enjoyment from Morrowind and Oblivion, then then well, I guess the wonderful world of a better RPG will be heading your way, with TESV.

I still have no fucking interest in it, and don''t fucking care.
I'll stop trolling. :oops:

Enjoying a game has nothing to do with how good of an RPG it is. Do you not enjoy any games other than RPGs?

I agree. Morrowind... To be honest, It bored me to tears, so I never finished it. Culdcept, I honestly enjoyed it much better than Morrowind. In fact it is a blast to play with friends.

Tintin said:
Oblivion was a pretty good action-RPG game, and Morrowind was a great one, with the added bonus of an interesting world and story...

So was Vampire: Bloodlines. Vampire:Bloodlines had a MUCH better storyline than Morrowind/Oblivion. It also had much better combat.

Tintin said:
If you're already set on not fucking caring then why post about it?

Just my opinions. Have a problem with that?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Drakron said:
The Elder Scrolls is one thing and Fallout is another.

I doubt they are going to ditch their basic "raise skill by using it" system in favor of XP system, also I doubt they are going to add skill checks since the series never had then.

Also to the dumbfuck population in here ... you could blame Bethsoft from adding some elements, as children but if they did not added then you lot would be bitching about then not being in the name, I realize Bethsoft added some thing to make it "Fallout" without realizing the pitfall that "damned if we do, damned if we dont" that would always come from the usual suspects.

Fallout 3 being a worst game is likely because of you.

They don't care what we think.

Anyway, about Edler Scrolls and Fallout being different, I don't think they'll be bringing c&c and multiple-outcome quests in with TESV. I remember Pete Hines saying in an interview once that a main feature of an Edler Scrolls game is not fucking yourself out of any options, that you'll be able to see everything there is in the game in one playthrough. I don't think they'll try to change that to make it more "Fallout"-ish. I've only played Morrowind and Oblivion though, so I can't be sure if what he said was true. I know Daggerfall is mostly well-liked here. Did that game have any meaningful c&c?

bhlaab

Erudite
Prediction: It will be like Oblivion except somewhat nicer looking and with one catch-all "Combat" skill instead of seperate ones for Swords, Axes, etc

bhlaab

Erudite
Skyrim will be a grassy England forest and the player will be constantly followed by a wise cracking argonian voiced by Cory Feldman

Rhalle

Magister
It's not an idiotic thread; it's a perfectly good question.

If one actually liked Oblivion-- real RPG or not-- but didn't think FO3 was particularly good (we are rare, I know), it might be worth speculating about what 4.7m sales in thirty minutes or whatever gives Bethesda a green light to do in their next installment of Elder Scrolls.

And the sorry answer is, if Bethesda uses Fallout as a carte blanche to get away with shittiness, that TESV will have far less content, lots of elided content bound to be DLC that makes the gameworld feel empty, embarassingly shit dialogue trees instead of well-formed linear ones, zoned overland gameplay, less attention to detail, MMO-inspired kill and collect quests, pure filler NPCs, poor chaining of sidqequests, fewer main quests, even shallower NPC interaction, art direction and marketing hype taking over for everything else, filler content and non-content that pretends to be content, and loads of console tweens calling it the best game ever.

And if you actually liked Oblivion, the prospect of that sucks.

Personally I doubt TESV's core mechanics will change, but any of that other stuff seems rather likely-- to me, anyway.

Texas Red

Whiner
Cloaked Figure said:
Gonna have to agree with your opinion on the linear dialogs in Oblivion, they are well done, and voice acted pretty well. Uriel Septim, in particular, was a great character. You have to admit, the beginning of Obliv actually made it seem like the rest of the game would be worth a damn.

The beginning was a boring dungeon crawl. FO 3 is much better.

1eyedking

Erudite
The only thing I know is that it will have flaming swords.

As for the rest, I expect lulzier levels of dumbing down.

'Tis gonna be a sight to behold.

Rhalle

Magister
Cloaked Figure said:
Gonna have to agree with your opinion on the linear dialogs in Oblivion, they are well done, and voice acted pretty well. Uriel Septim, in particular, was a great character. You have to admit, the beginning of Obliv actually made it seem like the rest of the game would be worth a damn.
There's tons of memorable characters and NPC interactions and great moments of NPC dialogue in Oblivion. Great set-pieces, too.

Fallout 3 has a single character that behaves something like the scores of characters in Oblivion do: Moira Brown. As (intentionally) irritating as she is, she's the only world NPC proper that's remotely likable or memorable. And interaction with her is not even up to Oblivion's level of NPC relationship via narrative. NPCs on the whole are standalone generators of ambiance and FedEx terminals. In Oblivion, every PC mattered, and practically every location had something substantive attached to it; places weren't just 'points of interest'-- which in FO3 almost always means nothing more than decayed architecture eye candy, random bad guys, and a map marker. And the optional material chains to the other stuff masterfully, unlike in FO3, which requires that if you want something to do you have to run around aimlessly, perhaps for hours.

Gamers new to the genre, drawn to it by guns and gore, seem to think that this kind of 'exploration' and 'character choice' is wonderful. They are morons.

Also, I guess Bethesda missed the memo that NWN2's ending, replete with unsatisfying PC death, Photoshop-painted storyboards and a meager voice-over of player choices was perhaps the shittiest ending ever.

It will be very disappointing to me if Bethesda abandons all the things they did so right in TESIV to be an inferior Bioware.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I suspect they will integrate VATS somehow into the game since its popular reception. Melee decapitation and arrows would definitely please the mainstream. For those looking for slight choice & consequences would only find it within the side quests only. Bethesda seem to hate rewriting major dialogues and I predict they will again hire prominent voice actor again to voice an important character.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I predict that Bethesda will begin developing TES5 shorty after Fallout 4. It will be called The Elder Scrolls V: Fallout V

Fallout is the future of The Elder Scrolls. Literally.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Rhalle said:
Also, I guess Bethesda missed the memo that NWN2's ending, replete with unsatisfying PC death, Photoshop-painted storyboards and a meager voice-over of player choices was perhaps the shittiest ending ever.

That's ONE ending. You can also choose the selfish ending, and they don't make you out to be a coward like in Fallout 3. It was a satisfying ending, and in my opinion the right one.

And what's bad about the storyboards? It's identical to Fallout 1 and 2 endings.

It will be very disappointing to me if Bethesda abandons all the things they did so right in TESIV to be an inferior Bioware.

The writing in Fallout 3 is equal to and sometimes better than most of what Bioware does.

Data4

Arcane
Honestly, I'd be happy if the Radiant AI worked as staged in the Chorrall section of the E3 demo of Oblivion.

Since I haven't played FO3 beyond a couple of hours, nor do I have plans on ever touching it again, I can only guess on some things, good or bad. Eye of the beholder, and all that.

1. There will be 2-3 big named stars as voice actors, taking up probably 90% of the VA budget.

2. The rest of the characters will be voiced by 10 people they randomly got off the street, since they can't afford any more.

3. A basic outline of the plot will be developed and distributed to local Maryland elementary schools to be fleshed out as a creative writing contest/project. The winner will have their story be the main quest. Michael Kirkbride will look at the lore he's developed, look at the story results, throw his hands in the air in frustration, and swear off ever contracting for work with Bethesda and instead will seek out real RPG developers.

4. Someone in the office might have a good idea. Pete and Todd will descend upon him like flies on shit and adamantly exclaim "THAT'S NOT THE WAY WE DO THINGS HERE!!!"

Rhalle

Magister
Dicksmoker said:
Rhalle said:

That's ONE ending. You can also choose the selfish ending, and they don't make you out to be a coward like in Fallout 3. It was a satisfying ending, and in my opinion the right one. And what's bad about the storyboards? It's identical to Fallout 1 and 2 endings.

I don't want to avoid your point, but let me say: I'm not into the whole multiple ending business. Just give me a good one, one without a hands-off cinematic and a pastiche slideshow telling me what I did in the game. I know what I did, dammit. I don't need the game reviewing my own actions for me like some sort of filmstrip highlight reel. Give me a real ending.

Now here's a funny that shall serve as self-conscious strawman:

20f6q6o.png

Dicksmoker said:
The writing in Fallout 3 is equal to and sometimes better than most of what Bioware does.

I think what remains good about Fallout 3's dialogue is what is comparably most Oblivion about it-- that is, what the NPCs actually say when the trees aren't in the way. There might be the whole multiple outcomes stuff but NPCs typically don't form any relationship with you that matters, like they do in Oblivion. However, some of the old Bethesda charm manages to survive despite all of it.

I agree with you that what Bethesda puts in the mouths of their NPCs is often much better, more interesting and more engaging than what Bioware manages; but I can't agree with that for Fallout 3 as a whole.

What was added to facilitate the branching trees--the PC choices, of course, are often horrific, pure Bioware slag: restate premise nicely, perhaps in the form of a question; express tonal uncertainty while restating premise; snappily refute premise with a dash of profanity to keep it interesting and keep your evil quotient up. That sort of junk, which doesn't always happen but is there enough, is in no way (to my mind, anyhow), better than a solidly written but linear experience like the ones that Bethesda has always offered in the past, and which I'd personally hate to see them abandon in TESV simply because doing it in FO3 made them seem like geniuses to the uninitiated and earned them huge piles of cash.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Rhalle said:
I don't want to avoid your point, but let me say: I'm not into the whole multiple ending business. Just give me a good one, one without a hands-off cinematic and a pastiche slideshow telling me what I did in the game. I know what I did, dammit. I don't need the game reviewing my own actions for me like some sort of filmstrip highlight reel. Give me a real ending.

Before we continue, I think I'll need to know your opinions on Deus Ex's three endings.

I think what remains good about Fallout 3's dialogue is what is comparably most Oblivion about it-- that is, what the NPCs actually say when the trees aren't in the way. There might be the whole multiple outcomes stuff but NPCs typically don't form any relationship with you that matters, like they do in Oblivion. However, some of the old Bethesda charm manages to survive despite all of it.

Huh? I honestly don't know where you're coming from on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom