Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read I am Jack the Ripper on my way to Heaven. (LR: From Hell)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
But if you just straight up don't like superhero comics, you won't like the rest of his works. You can totally read and appreciate From Hell, though.
He still has a lot of other non-superhero works.

Vaarna_Aarne

Chapter 4

8TjCA.jpg

D20aQ.jpg

wskkj.jpg

kqa0E.jpg

wGOa1.jpg

3TXk5.jpg

PKHER.jpg

ZHx1R.jpg

QewMU.jpg

rfX2j.jpg

j7Kde.jpg

YPWFo.jpg

sYqd2.jpg

ae3rQ.jpg

Dibce.jpg

MBfUs.jpg

qFXGH.jpg

qnsJA.jpg

FUdMo.jpg

VQbZ2.jpg

5HC33.jpg

8XP7T.jpg

j78rO.jpg

6wvnO.jpg

y8Pg2.jpg

FOYSZ.jpg

yFHRM.jpg

MyLB5.jpg

FsXGE.jpg

RDKi8.jpg

Yahd4.jpg

CSV9K.jpg

SS6KE.jpg

bcyB0.jpg

ZrwIC.jpg

I74GI.jpg

x03dT.jpg

fGj9l.jpg

2irUb.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

:thumbsup: We just need Black Cat to approve the symbolism...
Actually a more important part here is that Gull is being a prophet as well. Just note the things he says to Netley as they ride around London. What do you think he means with calling down the sun itself? Atom bomb, moar liek Atum bomb.

Another good one is his ominous allusion to the power of symbols, when taken in conjunction with his talk of the sun and suns...

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Yeah, that first update with them just riding around and Gull talking was pretty entertaining, even if nothing really happened.

Tigranes

Arcane
I glazed over in that part when he just went on the city tour, but it's definitely interesting. Codex is giving me the opportunity to re-evaluate comic books, since the more common superhero titles always seemed boring-shit to me.

Moar.

Radisshu

Prophet
Yeah, most of everything else he's done is either Superhero fiction or Superhero metafiction.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
While I've read and appreciated other comics you've posted, I do agree with everyone else that the more crude, down-to-earth imagery in From Hell, coupled with the theme and setting, sets it right apart from his other works (that I know of).

Very much enjoying it, do post more.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, I was hoping you'd have questions or something similar, those are more handy than bumping.

But going back to Gull speaking about symbols, the reason why it's such an ominous prophecy (Gull will make a lot of these) is because both the swastika and the red star are solar symbols.

Tigranes

Arcane
How much of the story so far is working from 'historical' material (especially given the number of contemporary theories about Jack the Ripper)?

It's tough for me to go with the flow with these kinds of totally-disengaged-cool-genius-maniac characters that will have not an ounce of hesitation pulling out people's hearts and such. Of course, the other option these days seems to be full on Freudian emo, which is worse, but that's the thing, the characters seem to be either perfectly at ease with their (vile) selves or rent catatonic with contradiction. Will be interesting to see if we get a more nuanced look into the mind of Gull.

Vaarna_Aarne

How much of the story so far is working from 'historical' material (especially given the number of contemporary theories about Jack the Ripper)?

It's tough for me to go with the flow with these kinds of totally-disengaged-cool-genius-maniac characters that will have not an ounce of hesitation pulling out people's hearts and such. Of course, the other option these days seems to be full on Freudian emo, which is worse, but that's the thing, the characters seem to be either perfectly at ease with their (vile) selves or rent catatonic with contradiction. Will be interesting to see if we get a more nuanced look into the mind of Gull.
Alan Moore himself states that he did not make a story about what he thought happened (he shows his personal thoughts on the subject at the appendix comic I'll post at the end), but the one that was most dramatically pleasing, which is the Stephen Knight's theory. You'll get a list of all the theories and a history of Ripperology at the end of the comic, since I'll post Dance Of The Gull-catchers (the aforementioned appendix comic) at the end. Suffice to say, sir William Gull being tasked by the Queen and Freemasons to prevent a royal scandal is actually one of the most sensible theories.

Historically, the circumstances and events general public would be aware of are real, as are forensic details of the murders. Several conversations and even a few lines are historically accurate. Moore helpfully points out both these and dramatic liberties he's taken for some scenes in his appendix (read, I'm selling the book to you, go buy it if you like it), a good example is the presence of a poet of the time reading one of his poems to create a contrast to a scene.

As for Gull's behaviour, he's actually apparently very psychologically accurate, as his behaviour and mindset are modelled after delusional serial killer psychology (the appendix has Moore explain quite a bit about the subject and why Gull is doing what). We'll get a lot deeper into his madness as the killings go on.

grotsnik

Arcane

I was hesitant to comment on it, because like Vaarna says, I think Moore goes into detail about this himself later on and he clearly knows his stuff, but this is an immensely handy resource as we go through the murders (if you read the Mary Ann Nicholls entry or any of the contemporary newspaper reports on the crime, you'll see that much of the dialogue of the initial witnesses in From Hell and the exact location where her body was found have been taken straight from the records.) The whole 'poisoned grapes' bit is a fascinating bit of total bollocks, though, as far as I know: an elderly shopkeeper told the police he'd seen nobody suspicious around his grocer's stall that night in an initial statement, then changed his mind and told a couple of private detectives and the papers that he'd sold a bunch of grapes to one of the victims and the Ripper himself. The timings in his story don't add up, he gave several differing descriptions of the murderer and victim which seemed to be based on inaccurate press reports more than on first-hand experience, and he continued to try and court publicity by telling the press that the Ripper had turned up on the street and started giving him 'frightful glares'. No grapes were found in any of the victims' bodies.

Vaarna_Aarne

I was hesitant to comment on it, because like Vaarna says, I think Moore goes into detail about this himself later on and he clearly knows his stuff, but this is an immensely handy resource as we go through the murders (if you read the Mary Ann Nicholls entry or any of the contemporary newspaper reports on the crime, you'll see that much of the dialogue of the initial witnesses in From Hell and the exact location where her body was found have been taken straight from the records.) The whole 'poisoned grapes' bit is a fascinating bit of total bollocks, though, as far as I know: an elderly shopkeeper told the police he'd seen nobody suspicious around his grocer's stall that night in an initial statement, then changed his mind and told a couple of private detectives and the papers that he'd sold a bunch of grapes to one of the victims and the Ripper himself. The timings in his story don't add up, he gave several differing descriptions of the murderer and victim which seemed to be based on inaccurate press reports more than on first-hand experience, and he continued to try and court publicity by telling the press that the Ripper had turned up on the street and started giving him 'frightful glares'. No grapes were found in any of the victims' bodies.
Let's not delve into Koch's Snowflake too much though, shall we? ;)

Vaarna_Aarne

While I've read and appreciated other comics you've posted, I do agree with everyone else that the more crude, down-to-earth imagery in From Hell, coupled with the theme and setting, sets it right apart from his other works (that I know of).

Very much enjoying it, do post more.
If you want similar comics, I recommend getting into Guy Delisle's travel diaries. A good starting point is his breakthrough work, Pyoungyang, which is about the few months he spent in North Korea as a foreign expert consultant in an animation studio (for example, those Corto Maltese animations have all their legwork animation done in North Korea because it's cheaper to do that there than in China nowadays). His best work is his latest, recounting his year in Jerusalem. Very down-to-earth, slice of life kind of stuff, but the things he encounters and places he stays at and comments on from an outsider's perspective make them absolutely fascinating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom