Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read I am Jack the Ripper on my way to Heaven. (LR: From Hell)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
HOUSE MUSIC ONLY HANS OBERLANDER

Vaarna_Aarne

Chapter 6

03Koz.jpg

iGULk.jpg

astCi.jpg

4EDOT.jpg

lWbDq.jpg

rPHfv.jpg

d5a6i.jpg

s11Xn.jpg

Tf7cP.jpg

s6U9R.jpg

BU5Ug.jpg

H9G4r.jpg

b8IM2.jpg

HwrYe.jpg

j5D9f.jpg

tv77w.jpg

fFbbz.jpg

R50bM.jpg

f2P4T.jpg

1CqvS.jpg

uYgJ4.jpg

t3DIh.jpg

gr8PL.jpg

0q2YN.jpg

3PaIh.jpg

V8LWu.jpg

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Hrm. The bit with Gull as he's hallucinating (?) a rather modern building, is it supposed to be a jab at what was said earlier in the comic regarding certain events ushering in modern developments? Like the somethingsomething (Hastings?) murders which brought about the creation of the police force?

Vaarna_Aarne

Hrm. The bit with Gull as he's hallucinating (?) a rather modern building, is it supposed to be a jab at what was said earlier in the comic regarding certain events ushering in modern developments? Like the somethingsomething (Hastings?) murders which brought about the creation of the police force?
Oh yes, indeed they are. We'll be seeing a lot about Gull's visions and madness in the future. If you haven't noticed, his mighty work has already done results. A certain someone was conceived in Austria a few chapters earlier (eerie coincidence btw). And the building Gull sees is a the same place one hundred years in the future.

This whole aspect ties in with how Moore (and others apparently) view the Whitechapel murders as something of an apocalyptic capstone to the Victorian era, and the first ushering of the twentieth century.

And of course, keep in mind the pamphlet by James Hinton's son that was referenced earlier. It's important.

Radisshu

Prophet
Yeah, most of everything else he's done is either Superhero fiction or Superhero metafiction.
Out of curiosity, do you define V For Vendetta as superhero fiction?
Partly, yeah. V (the character) essentially follows the framework of a typical superhero or supervillain, especially the origin story. I'm not sure I'd say that's its main genre, but there are many traces of it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yeah, most of everything else he's done is either Superhero fiction or Superhero metafiction.
Partly, yeah. V (the character) essentially follows the framework of a typical superhero or supervillain, especially the origin story. I'm not sure I'd say that's its main genre, but there are many traces of it.
Fair enough, and correct in many ways as well. So what do you have against capefaggotry?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
And of course, keep in mind the pamphlet by James Hinton's son that was referenced earlier. It's important.

I guess that makes this a good opportunity to go back and reread a lot of stuff that I didn't pay that much attention to and see it under a new light to discover elemental truths which might or might not shatter my mind.

Tigranes

Arcane
To be honest I'm reading it as break-time material between, well, reading philosophy, and I'm probably missing a lot of these threads. Really liked the depiction of Whitechapel, though, and how its inhabitants developed their own standards of love and fuck, friendship, etc. Not so much the case with the police force who typify the 'right ol' dickheads' thing, but then...

Vaarna_Aarne

I guess that makes this a good opportunity to go back and reread a lot of stuff that I didn't pay that much attention to and see it under a new light to discover elemental truths which might or might not shatter my mind.
Basically just the musings on the nature of time and our perceptions of it. Relevant phrases will be repeated again later.

Vaarna_Aarne

To be honest I'm reading it as break-time material between, well, reading philosophy, and I'm probably missing a lot of these threads. Really liked the depiction of Whitechapel, though, and how its inhabitants developed their own standards of love and fuck, friendship, etc. Not so much the case with the police force who typify the 'right ol' dickheads' thing, but then...
Well, seeing how Whitechapel and London was at the time, I think Moore is justified with his depiction of the upper rows of society. Besides, Abberline is given a very positive portrayal and he's a rozzer alright.

Radisshu

Prophet
Fair enough, and correct in many ways as well. So what do you have against capefaggotry?
Nothing, really, but I'm always impressed when a comic completely break the conventions of its medium.

grotsnik

Arcane
The dickhead coppers bit is even more true to life than you'd imagine, sadly. The Metropolitan Police Service has a fascinating legacy of (and continuing problem with) corruption, casual brutality, deception enabled by a sense of tight-knit solidarity, and an astonishingly antagonistic relationship with the poorer-end inhabitants of the city. There's a great story about one Constable Ashford, who strolled up to a prostitute in Whitechapel a decade after the Ripper murders and tried the usual trick of blackmailing her into offering her services to him for free. The prostitute refused, and then attempted to pick up a proper client across the road; the copper lost it, knocked the client down and began kicking him frenziedly in the crotch until his urethra burst. Ashford was found guilty of misconduct.

Luckily stuff like that no longer oh wait.

Vaarna_Aarne

The dickhead coppers bit is even more true to life than you'd imagine, sadly. The Metropolitan Police Service has a fascinating legacy of (and continuing problem with) corruption, casual brutality, deception enabled by a sense of tight-knit solidarity, and an astonishingly antagonistic relationship with the poorer-end inhabitants of the city. There's a great story about one Constable Ashford, who strolled up to a prostitute in Whitechapel a decade after the Ripper murders and tried the usual trick of blackmailing her into offering her services to him for free. The prostitute refused, and then attempted to pick up a proper client across the road; the copper lost it, knocked the client down and began kicking him frenziedly in the crotch until his urethra burst. Ashford was found guilty of misconduct.

Luckily stuff like that no longer oh wait.
Yea, the more you read about Victorian London, the more distance you want to the "good old days" as quickly as possible.

Vaarna_Aarne

Warning! The following chapter is extremely graphic and may disturb those not familiar with WHY the Jack the Ripper murders were so burned into English mass consciousness. Alternatively, if you're JarlFrank you may find it extremely arousing.

Vaarna_Aarne

If you've been feeling squemish already, it's best to lie down and think of England for a while.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Yeats and The Golden Dawn, what a bunch of losers :) Also, that sketch of The Flea is scarier than anything in the comic... Blake never disappoints.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom