Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I bought a Spiderweb game today, so help me God...

Curratum

I've been indulging my more autistic side lately and finally decided to buy a Spiderweb game this morning. Grabbed Avernum: Escape from the Pit as it was on sale, later discovered I had at some point bought Avadon 1 and forgotten about it.

I like exposition, lore and dungeoneering, but I'm a bit allergic to difficult combat and drawn-out turn-based battles. Should I play on Easy or Normal?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Vogel's idea of difficulty = even moar HP bloat, so just stick to Easy or Normal. Unless you know what you're doing or you accidentally stumble on the correct party + skill setup, anything above Normal will be a painful slog.

barghwata

Savant
I've been indulging my more autistic side lately and finally decided to buy a Spiderweb game this morning. Grabbed Avernum: Escape from the Pit as it was on sale, later discovered I had at some point bought Avadon 1 and forgotten about it.

I like exposition, lore and dungeoneering, but I'm a bit allergic to difficult combat and drawn-out turn-based battles. Should I play on Easy or Normal?

As other people already mentioned, spiderweb games are great in a lot of aspects (exploration, lore, writing, quest design etc...) but pretty weak when it comes to encounter design, you'll find yourself fighting waves of uninteresting and boring enemies, and they're gonna keep getting more and more bloated HP and damage the more you advance in the game, and eventually it just becomes a pain in the ass.

The harder difficulty isn't going to translate into more interesting encounters and tactical battles, instead it's just going to force you to grind and backtrack to heal alot so i advise you try playing on Normal, if that doesn't work for you you can the change the difficulty later.

Curratum

As other people already mentioned, spiderweb games are great in a lot of aspects (exploration, lore, writing, quest design etc...) but pretty weak when it comes to encounter design, you'll find yourself fighting waves of uninteresting and boring enemies, and they're gonna keep getting more and more bloated HP and damage the more you advance in the game, and eventually it just becomes a pain in the ass.

The harder difficulty isn't going to translate into more interesting encounters and tactical battles, instead it's just going to force you to grind and backtrack to heal alot so i advise you try playing on Normal, if that doesn't work for you you can the change the difficulty later.

Oh, if you can change diff mid-save, that would be perfect. I hadn't had time to see how everything is set up ingame. Thanks!

Curratum

So what resolution am I supposed to play this at? What do you use? 1080p everything is an ant on the screen, 720p is sort of ok, but looks weird. Maybe 1600 x 900?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The first time I ever heard of the Codex, was Vogel talking about how terrible it was in some GDC-like forum, around the time he released the first Avadon game.

Curratum

I can't imagine a lot of people OUTSIDE the Codex paying for his games...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom