Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I just beat Mass Effect 1

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ass Turd 2 retard confirmed. :lol:
Is that the best you can do?

All of the games are popamole. You actually think you're better because you prefer the first one? Sad.
I haven't cared for the series since the disaster that was the shitty sequel which only utterly retarded morons would like and deem better than the first.
Oh so you do. Yeah, really sad. Was 1 your first """rpg""" or something?

The rest of your turd post is so laughable it is not even worth responding to anymore
He says, probably crying to himself softly. It's ok, no need to respond. Retreat off into your corner. No one here will mock you for being a massive faggot. :M

Oh and I cannot read? That is ironic considering your very first point shows that your reading comprehension is in the gutter.
Have a nice day.
:shitposting:

Ice burn. Really showed me. :M

Mass Effect 2 had a pretty garbage plot, all things considered. In the grand scheme of things, it was a waste of time
I get this, but the quality of the writing improved if you don't view it in respect to what it meant to the series as a whole. Because when you get down to it, ME1's choices were all pretty much negated by ME3 too. Some minor callbacks and Rex or the alien queen could be alive, but that's it.

For example, Mordin was 100x the character that Rex was in 1. Or Kaiden. Or any of them.

Not that any of the characters were a masterpiece. Zaheed was basically the new Canderous. But there was just a heck of a lot more soul to them.

The writing had more flavor and didn't feel like a ripoff of Clone Wars era SW like the first one did.

"EMBRACE ETERNITY, CHOSEN ONE!" lol, come on. This is what you are lauding? :lol:

Planet exploration in a space exploration game? Waste of time, lol!
Did you actually feel you were exploring a planet when wandering around a square filled with 2 to 3 points of interest on a GPS? Were you 8?

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Guys, seriously, don't debate gameplay in Mass Effect games. It was shit for all the trilogy. Try to imagine Mass Effect without the space opera part, would anyone give a single flying fuck about the whole series?

It was the characters, voice acting, story, that made people care. The shooting parts were serviceable and the... exploration, was a fucking chore in the whole trilogy.

Mass Effect trilogy is one of those "games", where watching the "movie version" on Youtube gives you essentially all the good while removing the bad and wasteful, and you end up getting all there is to get while spending a fraction of the time and no money...

Exactly. It was a choose your own adventure sci fi movie and you were the star. Anything that got in the way of that, be it a minigame or autistically bouncing through filler was an annoyance to all but the apparent vaccine-inclined train enthusiasts I've been arguing with.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tell me, are trains inexplicably fascinating to you?
I'm glad I never had this fascination, despite spending a pretty decent amount of my childhood reading encyclopedias about vehicles. I think TGVs, Shinkansen, and Maglevs are a technological breakthrough, but ultimately it's just a people mover, and I could never understand people who obsess over those run-of-the-mill commuter trains.

Codex Year of the Donut
3 is the best entry in the series
one of the tiny parts that I really like are all the NPCs having conversations with each other everywhere.

Honestly I also think they really amped the production values up in ME2. Everything looks really good, still. Grunt in particular looks fantastic. It looks so much better than ME1. There's better music, and there's better camera work with the cutscenes. It's pretty good.

The gameplay is okay. I'm making it work by being a Vanguard and just slamming into people and shotgunning them, great fun.

2 is the worst entry
they push all the non-humanoid aliens into the background, essentially strip all RPG elements from it, dumbed down the combat heavily, turned insanity into a bullet sponge mode, and managed to (somehow) include an even worse vehicle.
All the areas feel extremely tiny and cramped, they're just a bunch of hallways. The game is on rails from start to finish. There's nothing like exploring the citadel of ME1.
"flying" the ship around on the map was a terrible design decision, ME1 has by far the best galaxy map interface
all the shitty minigames everywhere
also, it ends just as it feels like it's beginning. Seriously, the last mission is right after getting the final team member.

Last edited:

DayofBlow

Educated

TPS shooty yes, narrative no. No baggage from prior games, viewed on its own it still sucks. It's like an entire game made of the atrocious writing the Collector plot has in ME2. Tuchanka is regarded as the best part, and it's the arc where the one reaperbro sent to invade a billion population capital planet is guarding a building they don't need and gets eaten by a giant worm. It is actually just a dumber version of something from Gears of War 2.

krilcebre

Learned
Who the fuck plays Mass Effect for gameplay? It has interesting narrative for space opera lovers tho, I enjoyed it from that perspective.

Sykar

Arcane

TPS shooty yes, narrative no. No baggage from prior games, viewed on its own it still sucks. It's like an entire game made of the atrocious writing the Collector plot has in ME2. Tuchanka is regarded as the best part, and it's the arc where the one reaperbro sent to invade a billion population capital planet is guarding a building they don't need and gets eaten by a giant worm. It is actually just a dumber version of something from Gears of War 2.

Hard to fix the narrative disaster which started in ME 2 without some serious retconning though.

Freddie

Savant
I never got the butthurt about this. You dont have to do this nearly as much as you had to roam random empty planets in ME1. It's 100x faster and unless you aim to probe every planet in the game, it doesn't take much time.

Mostly I think this is about the autists who loved bouncing around unrealistically in the mako for 80 hours, while larping a moon rover.

replaced it with the most boring gameplay possible, literally whack-a-mole in space garbage.
minigames are lame, but ME1 had minigames too.

no, the most boring gameplay possible was running around a giant empty square hunting for datapads or resources that ultimately will mean nothing. the mako was garbage and I was glad to see it taken out back and shot.
There's the thing that the best outcome from ME2 final mission depends of fully upgraded Normandy, which upgrades depends from resources gathered by Planet Scanning mini-game, so isn't optional content if player aims for the best possible outcome.

Planetary exploration in ME1 is mostly optional. Finding datapads, etc. yep, don't need them really. I think there was some sort of trivial reward in M3 if imported character had found all the Asari writings, but again, trivial.

So spending more time in ME1 planetary exploration than in ME2 planet scanning doesn't happen but players with OCD or whatever.

There's also a bug that can have quite a bit of influence how Mako handles, but I don't really care to go over all that again.

Sykar

Arcane
one of the tiny parts that I really like are all the NPCs having conversations with each other everywhere.

Honestly I also think they really amped the production values up in ME2. Everything looks really good, still. Grunt in particular looks fantastic. It looks so much better than ME1. There's better music, and there's better camera work with the cutscenes. It's pretty good.

The gameplay is okay. I'm making it work by being a Vanguard and just slamming into people and shotgunning them, great fun.

2 is the worst entry
they push all the non-humanoid aliens into the background, essentially strip all RPG elements from it, dumbed down the combat heavily, turned insanity into a bullet sponge mode, and managed to (somehow) include an even worse vehicle.
All the areas feel extremely tiny and cramped, they're just a bunch of hallways. The game is on rails from start to finish. There's nothing like exploring the citadel of ME1.
"flying" the ship around on the map was a terrible design decision, ME1 has by far the best galaxy map interface
all the shitty minigames everywhere
also, it ends just as it feels like it's beginning. Seriously, the last mission is right after getting the final team member.

Mass Effect 3 literally has gameplay sections in where they lie to you about what you're doing. At the beginning they attempt to make tension by giving you limited ammo to "hold off the reapons" but unloading all of your magazines into the ground has the same effect. There's a turian planet with a turret section where you dont need to do anything to pass it, and there's another section where you are told to use a turret to shoot a reaper, but not shooting the reaper actually accomplishes the same result. It's a bad, boring, rushed game.

ME 2 resurrected you from literally atomic particles after your disintegration in the atmosphere. For some reason the entire crew and the most modern ship we know of and taken on countless enemies, like the Geth and Saren, was taken out by a single ship of, as we know now, some nobody servants of the Reapers, yet somehow they were completely absent during the first game. If they done the same during the first game, then it would have resulted in Sovereign being successful with his mission. The writing of the rest of ME 2 is about as awful and retarded as its beginning with barely any exceptions.

Last edited:

There's the thing that the best outcome from ME2 final mission depends of fully upgraded Normandy, which upgrades depends from resources gathered by Planet Scanning mini-game, so isn't optional content if player aims for the best possible outcome.
I know. You don't need to scan every planet to do this. Not even close. Yes, you'll have to do it a few times and probably spend less time on it that one away mission to a big empty square map in ME1's mako missions. Also, you can find a lot of resources on planets.

Planetary exploration in ME1 is mostly optional.
Just like scanning in ME2. "Mostly."

So spending more time in ME1 planetary exploration than in ME2 planet scanning doesn't happen but players with OCD or whatever.
Bullshit. Unless you are a complete retard and can't figure out planet scanning in ME2. It takes, what, a minute or two to strip 90% of the good resources out of a planet? Maybe less once you know what you are doing and upgrade the scanner.

I mean, unless you are just an OCD sped and you spend 20 minutes trying to get every last ounce out of a planet and use up all your probes and go back and buy more probes and piss them away again because you're an idiot and can't figure out the minigame and oh wow that's all of you, isn't it? :lol:

But seriously, you all keep whinging about the minigame as if it takes any time or effort whatsoever. Again, this is bullshit. You just want the Mako. People have even offered you mods that remove the minigame, but the truth is that you just want to sperg out with your dumb 6-wheeled rocket car on random empty, poorly textured planets for countless hours.

There's also a bug that can have quite a bit of influence how Mako handles, but I don't really care to go over all that again.
Never noticed it, but I'll take your word for it.

So it's buggy on top of being a piece of shit?

Nothing. Of. Value. Was. Lost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loostreaks

Learned
Game was excellent for it's worldbuilding, music and the setting ( outside of the main story), plus the gameplay is not as bad as people make it out to be ( shotguns and snipers were actually very satisfying). And classes, biotics/magic were interesting take in sci-fi (rpg).
At the same time, it had by far the worst character progression, itemization/economy and exploration in the entire genre. Entire half of the game is a pointless slog of clearing planets that look like something that's been procedurally generated, along with bare bones quests.
Bioware's direction as rpg designer became clear from that interview during ME2, when Muzyka said: "Well, we saw how Gears handled combat, so we better leave rpg mechanics out of it and just focus on story/c&c".
It's baffling how Bioware squandered opportunity they had with this franchise.

Freddie

Savant
I know. You don't need to scan every planet to do this. Not even close. Yes, you'll have to do it a few times and probably spend less time on it that one away mission to a big empty square map in ME1's mako missions. Also, you can find a lot of resources on planets.

Planetary exploration in ME1 is mostly optional.
Just like scanning in ME2. "Mostly."

Bullshit. Unless you are a complete retard and can't figure out planet scanning in ME2. It takes, what, a minute or two to strip 90% of the good resources out of a planet? Maybe less once you know what you are doing and upgrade the scanner.

I mean, unless you are just an OCD sped and you spend 20 minutes trying to get every last ounce out of a planet and use up all your probes and go back and buy more probes and piss them away again because you're an idiot and can't figure out the minigame and oh wow that's all of you, isn't it? :lol:

But seriously, you all keep whinging about the minigame as if it takes any time or effort whatsoever. Again, this is bullshit. You just want the Mako. People have even offered you mods that remove the minigame, but the truth is that you just want to sperg out with your dumb 6-wheeled rocket car on random empty, poorly textured planets for countless hours.

Never noticed it, but I'll take your word for it.

So it's buggy on top of being a piece of shit?

Nothing. Of. Value. Was. Lost.

Actually I remember 5 mission where Mako was relevan't and 4 of them happens to be main campaign missions. There was one planetary exploration mission which was required? Tied to some plot on Citadel. Or was that also a side quest?

I don't know I never needed to lose my nerve with Mako. I actually liked that there were environmental hazards and most of all the scale of things. I used to set up ambushes with my snipers or snipe myself and in ME1 that was actually workable and then in ME2 it was... max distance to enemy was like 250 yards? In a corridor.

No, really no. I take Mako over that every day.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Mass Effect 1 was better in terms of story/atmosphere, at least in my eyes. I remember completing it back when it was released and eagerly anticipating the sequel because i was hooked into its universe. It's mechanics were serviceable, it obviously was very light on RPG elements but it worked as a playable space opera and that was what mattered.

Mass Effect 2 had a pretty garbage plot, all things considered. In the grand scheme of things, it was a waste of time, just another installment for EA to get moar cash. But the gameplay flow was improved, they dropped all pretenses of being an RPG and embraced their Gears of Wars roots, and it made a better game to play in the end.
Mass effect 1s plot was the best of the lot, yes. Mass effect 2 had a lot of flaws, but the aspect of working for cerberus, a shadowy, secretive organization headed by a pragmatic, autocrat was an interesting premise to play through. It's a shame the plot didn't serve much of a purpose. It was also the beginning of the disgusting dlc practices as well. I remember them beginning putting on-disc dlc with mass effect 2, specifically the prothean, who looked nothing like the statues of the protheans from the first game.

Actually I remember 5 mission where Mako was relevan't and 4 of them happens to be main campaign missions.
You clearly don't even remember the game, so why argue about it? smh

All the main quest planets required the mako at some point. And they were the only times the mako was remotely interesting.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding you. Your english broke a bit in that post fsr...
I don't know I never needed to lose my nerve with Mako.
You didn't even need to think with it. It was basically a win button for all combat that involved it.

Freddie

Savant
Game was excellent for it's worldbuilding, music and the setting ( outside of the main story), plus the gameplay is not as bad as people make it out to be ( shotguns and snipers were actually very satisfying). And classes, biotics/magic were interesting take in sci-fi (rpg).
At the same time, it had by far the worst character progression, itemization/economy and exploration in the entire genre. Entire half of the game is a pointless slog of clearing planets that look like something that's been procedurally generated, along with bare bones quests.
Bioware's direction as rpg designer became clear from that interview during ME2, when Muzyka said: "Well, we saw how Gears handled combat, so we better leave rpg mechanics out of it and just focus on story/c&c".
It's baffling how Bioware squandered opportunity they had with this franchise.
Engineer was really fascinating class dropping the whole mage aspect of things. That said, Biotics were plausible in universe and something that I thought would be obvious counter to Reaper forces later, and BW kind of had the same idea (Javik in ME3) and then they didn't (Asari's shaking ass around the universe).

I'm not sure what do you mean about character progression. PC or NPC's? for NPC's I think Ashley is the only 3 dimensional character I have ever encountered in video game writing. What comes to protagonist, I never liked it in RPG's when game makes choices for me. There is however the aspect that as the first in series and having entirely new setting, NPC's had role of introducing the world to player, which made them sometimes walking libraries. I think Quarian character suffered from this quite badly. Her quest was actually quite heroic but sort of got buried in encyclopedia aspect.

Turian, Garrus was favourite for many but I think his character arch actually got a bit worse in ME2. If you did organ trafficker quest in ME1 the vigilant aspect wasn't stressed that much, but that he (and c-sec) were really experienced and good detectives. That aspect was sort of dropped in ME2. Again, dimensions.

But overall yeah, great potential, and they fucked it up.

Freddie

Savant
Actually I remember 5 mission where Mako was relevan't and 4 of them happens to be main campaign missions.
You clearly don't even remember the game, so why argue about it? smh

All the main quest planets required the mako at some point. And they were the only times the mako was remotely interesting.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding you. Your english broke a bit in that post fsr...
Then I remembered correctly, there were Therum (find Liara), Feros, Noveria and Ilos (so 4) and , I recall there was a mission from Asari regarding some deal with mercenaries gone awry and you needed to locate the facility on planet and kill them all or something, and then it all turned out to be a scheme from quest giver to begin with. I checked the wiki and actually that quest appears to be optional too.

I don't know I never needed to lose my nerve with Mako.
You didn't even need to think with it. It was basically a win button for all combat that involved it.[/QUOTE]
You make more damage with squad weapons if you know how to upgrade them and get also 2 x XP versus killing enemies with Mako. If anything Mako's gun was necessary in the beginning, but got outdated fast.

Then I remembered correctly, there were Therum (find Liara), Feros, Noveria and Ilos (so 4)
Vermire. Again, you don't even remember the game, dude. Or did your aspergers kick in and make you do it on foot?
I checked the wiki and actually that quest appears to be optional too.
Because you are going to check on if quests are optional on a first playthrough. :roll:

Where are you getting that I am bitching about being forced to do exploration? I am saying it was boring and stupid and that I'm glad it's gone, not that it was forced. In fact, I said it was worthless and gained you nothing.

You guys are the ones trying to pretend that the minigame is so difficult and time consuming and that you need to scan oh so many planets to get the best ending. boohoo.
You make more damage with squad weapons if you know how to upgrade them and get also 2 x XP versus killing enemies with Mako.
Killing armored and from a distance. Mobility.
If anything Mako's gun was necessary in the beginning, but got outdated fast.
So even more useless than I thought. Ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I remember them beginning putting on-disc dlc with mass effect 2, specifically the prothean, who looked nothing like the statues of the protheans from the first game.
I figured that this retcon was made because it would've been to much work for the artists and animators to handle the Protheans from the Ilos statues.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I beat ME1 on a coworkers 360 while getting paid a bit over minimum wage in a shitty security job on nightshift.

Was boring.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
So you are a small minded moron who likes to do the very same shit over and over, noted.
Says the guy who wanted more mindless landrover bullshit.

As to what the Mako provided, an interruption of the usual rut running around from cover to cover or from NPC to NPC.
No, it provided filler. And the fact that you didn't immediately recognize it as such makes me wonder if you weren't either a) a child or b) a sperg. Tell me, are trains inexplicably fascinating to you?

Why not a race or even some light platforming?
lmfao, you actually said yes. :lol:

the retarded whack-a-mole of Ass Shit 2 which you seem to enjoy
No, I said that I didn't enjoy minigames. They just go faster than the dumb mako filler. Learn to read.
Even the badly implemented Mako beats the retarded whack-a-mole of Ass Shit 2 which you seem to enjoy somewhat for whatever brain dead reason by a country mile as did everything else from the first game over the second sans graphics and some smother combat though that was marred by shitty retcon and trivialized by GCD and dumbed down character development.
Learn to use comas and don't be a runon retard.

ME 2 was superior to ME1 in almost every way apart from the shift in story/lore that derailed the plot a bit going toward 3. The story was more interesting, the characters were more interesting, the writing/gameplay had more C&C. It was better and it had no mako.

I know that must chap your ass, but you're going to have to live with it because the franchise is pretty dead at this point and no one is going to mod that 6 wheeled piece of shit into ME2 anytime soon. :M

Ass Turd 2 retard confirmed. :lol:
I haven't cared for the series since the disaster that was the shitty sequel which only utterly retarded morons would like and deem better than the first. I have neither bought or played Derp Shit 3 or Andrometard and will never do so.
The rest of your turd post is so laughable it is not even worth responding to anymore since it is just a rehash of your previous non-points. Oh and I cannot read? That is ironic considering your very first point shows that your reading comprehension is in the gutter.
Have a nice day.

Mass effect 1 sucked too pal, never played the sequal so cant comment on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom