Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I loved (x) game. Anything similar to it?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Anything like Lords of Magic's expansion pack? A strategy game with RPG elements going full hog on the RPG aspect complete with dozens of quests. Bonus points if the game has a well-thought world and a moody atmosphere.

The Jester

Cipher
I loved Dead Money's melancholic atmosphere, tragic lore and challenging game play.
Anything like it? the closest thing that I can think of are Pathologic games.
Inb4 Dark Souls.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I loved Dead Money's melancholic atmosphere, tragic lore and challenging game play.
Anything like it? the closest thing that I can think of are Pathologic games.
Inb4 Dark Souls.
If you've heard of Pathologic, I assume you also know about The Void.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Any games like Magic Carpet games?
What about them are you looking for?

Can any one recommend some games like Overboard please?

Expect Codex won't like it but how about games like Dude sex : Human revolution? I don't mean the classics. I mean that specific era of semi open world fps games. I want something with similar pacing and game play style. Urban environment with skills aiding traversal and multiple ways to do quests.

Spike

Educated
I already know the answer (no) but:
Shadow of Rome (don't say Dead Rising because I know) (I know about Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance and We Who Are About to Die too)
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory or Maximo: Army of Zin.

Do not say mainstream-ass obvious answers either like Jak and Daxter or whatever. A truly 3D Ghosts 'n Goblins only exists in Maximo.

spectre

Arcane
I'm basically looking for a first person view game that allow the player to fly and conquer the world by casting magic spells.
So... uh, Morrowind?

Seriously though, the spellcasting looks pretty gratuitous in this, so perhaps it scratches an itch.

Steam reviews are mostly graphics whoring and complaints about jankiness.
Looks like a small dev team, so that's to be expected.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
So, fun game for the codex: try to name a game that is genuinely really good (at least 8/10) that stands alone with no close counterpart.
Katamari. (8/10 is questionable, it's premise is very simple, but I enjoyed it a lot and getting good scores in the later levels requires thought/planning)
MTG: Battlegrounds (great game, still waiting on 2...)
Dominions, not aware of anything like it.
I'm basically looking for a first person view game that allow the player to fly and conquer the world by casting magic spells.
Magic Carpet :lol:
edit: never mind, just saw this was your starting post LOL.

Any games like King of Dragon Pass (or its follow up like Six Ages and Six Ages 2)?
Thea is kinda sorta maybe like it
not really

Last edited:
Any games like King of Dragon Pass (or its follow up like Six Ages and Six Ages 2)?
They're a very unique series of games and nothing's quite similar to them, but Suzerain probably comes closest in combining a multiple choice CYOA with some underlying economic/diplomatic systems.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I already know of Suzerain. Really feels like there ain't much like the old KoDP.
Academagia. Not nearly as good, and development on the long-promised sequels seems to be stalled out, but it’s by far the closest thing to KoDP/SA.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
They're a very unique series of games and nothing's quite similar to them, but Suzerain probably comes closest in combining a multiple choice CYOA with some underlying economic/diplomatic systems.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I already know of Suzerain. Really feels like there ain't much like the old KoDP.
Academagia. Not nearly as good, and development on the long-promised sequels seems to be stalled out, but it’s by far the closest thing to KoDP/SA.
Nice! I didn't know this one. I'll check it out now.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I enjoyed having a tactical map between levels, a hero unit than got stronger over time, a basic RTS in different scenarios, with a massive number of heroes / races / factions to choose from, who all played differently.

I've played all kinds of shit since, I guess the most similar was Blackguards 2, but is there anything closer?

Perhaps another game that comes close is Creative Assembly's Warhammer games, they feature a menagerie of roughtly the same fantasy cliche factions, and in large quanitities with varying units, as well as hero units, with an overworld map that you conquer by individual battles taking place in zoomed in instances on the map. It's Total War based, which is very mechanically and stylistically different from traditional RTS games. But you're still having roughtly the same selection of races, dark elves, evil dwarvers, barbarians, demons and all that, and you're fighting skirmish battles in real time on a turn-based overworld map.
Agree with the notion that Total War Warhammer does scratch a somewhat similar itch to Warlords Battlecry series.
You might be interested in checking out SOVL.

It's a very heavily inspired by warhammer fantasy tabletop game in which you get to grow your own warband. Main campaign is a "slay the spire"-like mode.
Absolutely free unless you want to try some extra DLC factions like Chaos Warriors Abyssal Legions or Beastmen Goatmen Raiders.

Hell Swarm

Educated
That game looks great. I really enjoy tabletop gaming but Total warhammer feels nothing like it. It's too static and large so you never really feel much is happening. This seems much less cluster fucky

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Darklands? Anyone know of anything in that ballpark?
Depends, I don't think anything is perfect, but on the simulation side of that game you have stuff like Pirates, Sword of the Samurai and Covert Action, on the RPG side you have much inferior stuff like Challenge of the Five Realms, MegaTraveller, Space 1889, Twilight 2000 and Bloodnet. I don't know of any that are actually in a medieval setting though.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Was thinking lately about some other games with similar vibes as Warlords Battlecry even if they're not quite the same. Remembered that Age of Fear series exists that features quite a few distinct factions/races to play as and that there is a free version of the game called Age of Fear: The Free World.
This version allows you to choose any faction(expect sea people from AoF4 i think) and create your own hero(3 classes to choose from for each faction). While it doesn't feature plot or many handcrafted encounters like all the main games it does feature an open world in which you're free to engage in fighting random encounters, leveling-up your troops, aquiring gear for your hero or some rare mercenaries/troop types for your warband.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom