Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I suck at nameing charcters

Herbert West

Arbiter
My Failout 3 character is named Wankel and I'm proud of him.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I've named way too many of my characters "Ragnar" - originally for fantasy RPGs but it fits just as well in sci-fi settings I think.

Other ones: "Culfin", "Markus" (warrior types), "Oren", "S/Timeon", "Karvaeus"...

"Morwenna", "Serina", "Rhenaya" (female)

If I'm stuck I'll look at a Bible and pick a Hebrew name at random... Joshua, Saul, Jeremiah, Gideon etc

1eyedking

Erudite
Just change a single letter in a common fantasy name and be done with it:

Eragorn
Randalf
Balbo
Bulbo
Belbo
Bolbo
etc.

Endless fun!

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I have a stable of different names I've used.. some since MUDs back in the early 90s, some all the way back to high school, when I was actually playing D&D.

My wife and I play MMOs now, so we find ourselves going back to that list every time we make new characters.

Heresiarch

Prophet
When I play a game in which I can create a team of 4 or more, I would make one male character with my real name, and the other all chicks with names:

Mira
Mirage
Miracle
Mirabilia

So I can imagine and rolaplay hawt seks and cybar orgies whenever my party rests.

oscar

Arcane
I often do a Germanic/Nordic name and attach a random German WWII last name:

e.g Otto Guideran, Hermann Strozenky, Heinz Himmler

Or for British, something quite aristocratic.(adding an -e at the end helps)

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Cloaked Figure said:
in arcanum if you make your name Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, or Jason Anderson you get shitloadz of treasures from the arcane chest at the crash site.
No.

Also, a small bit from a chat log with Troika just before the release of Arcanum.
stravaig: have you played the game through all the way, leon?
Leon: Yes, I have played all the way through!!!
Leon: I was addicted, believe it or not
Leon: It took me almost a week to play through the game
Leon: and I know most of it...
stravaig: what kind of character did you use, leon?
Leon: I was an elf, and I was a conveyance mage/explosives master
Leon: I was - MAD MAX DANGER, P.I.
Leon: It was great when people would say, "May the gods bless you, MAD MAX DANGER, P.I."

Wyrmlord

Arcane
deuxhero said:
All the names I give my cRPG characters are cheesy puns like Terra Sunder or Apostrophe Co'traction

any advice
My advice is to simple name your character after his class. I just name my fighter Fighter and my cleric Cleric, and so on.

Or, simply name your character a number. If I am doing multiple games of a game at the same time, I name one savegame as '1' and the character in it as '1'. That way, I know which character or which savegame I am doing.

I find functional naming better than actually naming the character.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I tend to use different band member names for the male characters so there's usually Kerry King and Glen Benton going about but coming up with them for female characters is somewhat difficult. Barbie the barbarian...

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ghoulem said:
I bet one of you sick fucks named a halfling character Dildo Faggins.
Thanks! I'll be using this on my next Arcanum playthrough.

oscar

Arcane
images%2Fproducts%2Fdvd%2Fc%2Fcoolmccooldvdset.jpg

Texas Red

Whiner
Here's a name for a halfling or a gnome: Pepin the Short.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom