Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I went insane and am thinking

DraQ

Arcane
SCO said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QOwJBS4dU

I lol'ed

Anyway, MWSE works on wine 1.3.2 now. Good.
I tried Oshiel's anims for about 10s long time ago and ended up wishing him slow, extremely painful death for all those IQ points I lost during those 10s and shall never regain.

hal900x

Augur
I'm going to repeat a question, because I'm a graphics whore/huge faggot. MGE has that auto detect feature that checks your graphics card for max anti-aliasing support. It detected mine as maxing at 8x, which is incorrect. My card is capable of 16x. Since I don't seem to take much of an FPS hit on this game by maxing everything out, I figured I'd just go ahead and force it to 16x on the Global Graphics tab of MGE. No dice, it pops up an error message telling me my max is 8x.

There has got to be a way to override the detected max, yes? I will also post in the dev's forum on Sourceforge, but I dunno how frequently they answer there.

I read once that some people don't recommend MGE's thingie that lets you see far into the distance because it makes the world seem much smaller. Apparently, Vivec is much closer to Seyda Neen than it seems.

Never gave a shit about anti aliasing in any game, the difference isn't worth bothering with for me.

dr. one

Augur
hal900x said:
I'm a graphics whore/huge faggot.

yeah, honestly there probably won´t be any difference between 8x-16x.
only really notable difference is between AA on/off, aka imo 2x AA is sufficient (and makes a big difference for animated grass), step from 2x to 8x is negligible.
you may try to switch it off in MGE and force 16x via control panel or something.

Clockwork Knight said:
I read once that some people don't recommend MGE's thingie that lets you see far into the distance because it makes the world seem much smaller.

indeed. setting the draw distance to 5-7 cells offers the best results.

DraQ

Arcane
dr. one said:
hal900x said:
I'm a graphics whore/huge faggot.

yeah, honestly there probably won´t be any difference between 8x-16x.
only really notable difference is between AA on/off, aka imo 2x AA is sufficient (and makes a big difference for animated grass), step from 2x to 8x is negligible.
you may try to switch it off in MGE and force 16x via control panel or something.

Clockwork Knight said:
I read once that some people don't recommend MGE's thingie that lets you see far into the distance because it makes the world seem much smaller.

indeed. setting the draw distance to 5-7 cells offers the best results.
You also need to set the fog closest distance to well within the same cell.

hal900x

Augur
I'm not getting how Distant Lands entered into the conversation about my question. That is a totally separate feature from core MGE, which is where the feature I was asking about is located. I use MGE for the expanded resolution support, which works great. But anyway, yes I'm sure adding more AA is pointless and silly etc. A big part of it just my troubleshooting/technical inclination. It bugs me when a feature isn't implemented right.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Quick question about compatibility:
has anyone tried Greater Dwemer ruins, Great House Dagoth, The compatibility patch between those two made by someone else and Rise of House Telvanni together?

Did it work?

And has anyone tried the "Tribe Unmourned" mod. How is the additional dialog?

It seems like a modding clusterfuck on these 3 mods especially ( Greater Dwemer ruins, Great House Dagoth, and the tribe unmourned) because one changes the architecture, the other the quests and factions the other the dialog.

Also apparently one part of RoHT doesn't make sense if you already did the "main" quest of GHD (ash monsters attack you somewhere).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yes, The tribe unmourned can't be used since it overwrites something in the GDW-GHD patch.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Great House Dagoth and Greater Dwemer Ruins aren't supposed to play well; doesn't make sense to use them together anyway, really, GDR turns the final dungeons into (brilliant) massive puzzles that you'd have to fight your way through every time you wanted to go and see your boss. Not sure about Tribe Unmourned.
EDIT: oh, there's a patch? Go for it, then. Still don't see them making much sense together, though, I'd keep GDR for a non-Dagoth game.

Also apparently one part of RoHT doesn't make sense if you already did the "main" quest of GHD (ash monsters attack you somewhere).

That's the only inconsistency, and it doesn't lead to further problems. Don't be a LARPer.

ElectricOtter

I, too, want to play Morrowind (latest patch, with Bloodmoon and Tribunal). Specifically on my Win 7 laptop. Only one problem: every time I try to load game, exit, or access the options from the in-game menu, it freezes. I've tried every possible compatibility setting. I've tried disabling all my mods. I've tried deleting my saves and re-installing. I've looked all across the intarwebs for a solution, to no avail. Please, help me. Is there any way at all to avoid this on my laptop, or am I going to have to just play it on my desktop?

hal900x

Augur
I started to accumulate more than a handful of mods, so I look a little deeper into how they work, tools like Wrye and so forth. Never have I seen such complexity in mod management. It's hilarious that you need to learn an entire field of knowledge to successfully mod a game like Morrowind. In the amount of time it will take me to master this, I could pass my CISSP.

DraQ

Arcane
hal900x said:
I started to accumulate more than a handful of mods, so I look a little deeper into how they work, tools like Wrye and so forth. Never have I seen such complexity in mod management. It's hilarious that you need to learn an entire field of knowledge to successfully mod a game like Morrowind. In the amount of time it will take me to master this, I could pass my CISSP.
*sigh*

Unless you install tons of mods affecting the same stuff and causing conflicts, you don't need any extra tools or knowledge.

See, the problem is that there are tons of mods available. People feel overwhelmed like a kid in a candy store, install a clusterfuck of shit, get conflicts then complain the game is too hard to mod.

I'd suggest starting with five or so very different mods - so you can clearly see what affects what. One for mechanics, one for enemies, one for landscape, etc.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
See, the problem is that there are tons of mods available. People feel overwhelmed like a kid in a candy store, install a clusterfuck of shit, get conflicts then complain the game is too hard to mod.
That's why being an adult beats being a kid in terms of mentality. :smug:

hal900x

Augur
You guys are full of shit. The complexit is not defined by number of mods, it's defined by whether you choose two or more mods that affect the same game component e.g. leveled lists, GMSTs, the .ini etc. That and how much of a clusterfuck a given mod is, and boy there are some. Why do so many Morrowind modders not resrict themselves to the original intend of the mod and end up changing multiple unrelated aspects? Modularity, you tards.

So what do those who have tried it think of LGNPCs? I just installed it (all of them). I'm not sure I should have. Some of it reeks of having been written by sweaty teen fanboys. Dark Elf women like lots of sex, be careful fucking too many of your hot bitch servants, hurr hurr. Not to mention apostrophes where they should not be, God fucking damnit. On the other hand the relentless generic responses in vanilla get old really fast.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Actually MWSE still doesn't work (neither MGE obviously). No code modification that requires a dll injection (filthy virus technique) works (this means almost all things produced by timeslip), and it's not because of process address space randomization, because i turned that off.
So no ddfix, MWSE, OBSE, and some other things.
Fuck it, at least i have no virus or antivirus, or oblivion thankfully.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom