Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Icewind Dale II Review at Quandary

Mistress

Liturgist
Tags: Icewind Dale 2

<a href="http://www.quandaryland.com">Quandary</a> have posted a <a href="http://www.quandaryland.com/2002/Icewind_Dale_II.htm">review</a> of <a href="http://icewind2.blackisle.com/">Icewind Dale II</a>. There's no rating on the review, but it offers some fair comments on the game.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"I learned very early on when I was short of cash that it was inadvisable for my Paladin to do the talking because she always refused rewards. Such a worthy display of altruism, so I tried to keep her happy by not killing indiscriminately. This was until I struck the only bug I encountered in the game. I was on my second visit to my great friends in the Monastery when a stubborn monk just wouldn't let me leave a room. No matter what he stood steadfast in the doorway. Nothing helped, not even invisibility or haste, because simply entering the room seemed to trigger the situation. Even if I beat him to the door the game assumed he was there and wouldn't let me proceed. In the interests of moving on I solved the problem with wholesale slaughter - and not a peep from my Paladin.
<br>
<br>
This was disappointing, she should have at least complained, and this deplorable action by my "goodish" party lead to another incongruity further on in the game. Admittedly I was secretly thankful, but I was surprised when the order of monks I had treated so badly came to my aid in a subsequent battle."</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
This is something I would <i>really</i> love to see more - actions actually having real consequences in the game. *sigh*
<br>
<br>
Spotted this over at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
You know, the whole thing about Paladins not getting paid for doing jobs in Icewind Dale 2 is completely ass. Paladins need supplies and things like anyone else, so why is it so unreasonable for them to get paid for doing something that needs to be done? Temples accept money, so why couldn't a knight of the temple also get money for things?

Really, I think this basically stems from them making a "GOOD GUY HERO PLOT" and then allowing evil alignments, saying that evil dudes must be heroes for l3wt. Therefore, since expecting l3wt is evil, not accepting l3wt must be good.

Nice logic.

Rosh

Erudite
I could also mention that Paladins also donate a significant amount of their income to the church, but that would be redundent and perhaps a role-playing aspect that shouldn't be considered when discussing the Inbred Engine as it has little to do with combat.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rosh said:
I could also mention that Paladins also donate a significant amount of their income to the church, but that would be redundent and perhaps a role-playing aspect that shouldn't be considered when discussing the Inbred Engine as it has little to do with combat.

Right, a better way to have done that is, "Okay, I'll save your Inn for that 500 gold, but I want you to give me 150 of it when I'm done. The other 350 goes to the temple." The whole idea that good guys don't work for a living and just live off the spoils of fighting bad guys is completely silly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom