Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Idea: Sales ticker

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Guys, it's so small that I didn't even notice it until I'd read a few threads. Not nearly as awful as the emote-ratings.

I approve of the ticker if it remains a codex-members trolling device and not an advertisement tool.

:bro:

crufty

Arcane
agree, tickler should only be important information: any new posts by humanity has risen, porka morka and raw

:salute:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Wouldn't a traditional time's square marquee with right to left scrolling be better as far as readability is concerned and more space efficient? The bottom to top scrolling is just confusing and somewhat hard to read. Or it could be that I'm too used to damn news stations and stock tickers.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wouldn't a traditional time's square marquee with right to left scrolling be better as far as readability is concerned and more space efficient? The bottom to top scrolling is just confusing and somewhat hard to read. Or it could be that I'm too used to damn news stations and stock tickers.
The previous version used that, but the animation was... less than smooth, shall we say.

Luzur

Good Sir
oh, so that is what that thing is, i was wondering when i logged in today.

also, how do you add stuff to it?

A user named cat

Make it a Drama Ticker and only link to threads where a Codex fight/heated argument has erupted.

Random

Arcane
Patron
So who's the wise guy who added "Click THIS!" just to make people click it frantically only for nothing to happen and it to scroll off?

Severian Silk

Vertical ticker doesn't make me as queasy so that's an improvement.

:bro:

Another option would be to have the news slide quickly right to left and stay put for a few seconds, then repeat.

Lastly you could choose a pixelated font to make it look like the real deal.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
If only admins can change the stories on the news ticker it doesn't work as either a game news ticker or a drama ticker. The admins can't compete with people like infi who know all the game news or the people who know all the drama because they don't read GD enough. I may be drunk but I'm still pretty sure this is a good point.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Don't stop with a sales ticker, have words that take up like 1/4th of the screen drop down from above like in Savage.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Don't stop with a sales ticker, have words that take up like 1/4th of the screen drop down from above like in Savage.
Also have that music play in the background (starting with an annoying intro screech or something for every page load).

kaizoku

Arcane
vertical stickers are annoying

move back to horizontal I'll say

Monty

Arcane
Can we have more commodity prices instead of just potato? It would help us manage our portfolios if we could see, for example, Golden toilets up $10, Bolivian Flake down $5 an ounce.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom