Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Idiot's guide to Space Rangers 2

Elias

Novice
Cheers you folks are lifesavers hehe , Ok I will save for 3 M - resonators, just disregard my other poist now jim if you see this first , I just want a lethal weapon setup and I have that now. One thing ive notice I can tank well I think but I get quite bad repair bills!

Ow well , Im telling you though I think this game is great Im even thinking of purchasing SR1 , is SR1 good?

Norfleet

Elias said:
Cheers you folks are lifesavers hehe , Ok I will save for 3 M - resonators, just disregard my other poist now jim if you see this first , I just want a lethal weapon setup and I have that now. One thing ive notice I can tank well I think but I get quite bad repair bills!
Mine more wrecks. Dominator parts don't pay as well as parts from military wrecks, you can get 20K a piece for each piece of military wreckage, and that's just pawning it at local shops.

Elias said:
Ow well , Im telling you though I think this game is great Im even thinking of purchasing SR1 , is SR1 good?
SR1 comes free with SR2. Was it not buried someplace on your CD? Otherwise, SR1 is basically the same thing as SR2, with less stuff.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
I have to yet find the RTS missions , since the initial tutorial none was offered to me , also does anyone know where to look for the best equipement/hull , race or planet type? I have 150k Cr and i cannot find a better hull, i found one 2 days ago but i had no money to buy it and i don't think its still there , wish there was a stock exchange type of system for parts instead of flying to each planet.

Micmu

Magister
OsirisGod said:
I have to yet find the RTS missions , since the initial tutorial none was offered to me
Usually, they are available in the systems that have just been liberated. Also, if you refuse the RTS mission once by choosing "I'm not interested in such missions", you don't get more RTS missions.
also does anyone know where to look for the best equipement/hull , race or planet type? I have 150k Cr and i cannot find a better hull, i found one 2 days ago but i had no money to buy it and i don't think its still there
Use the search engine on a planet or space station and look for "Hull", "Ranger Hull", "Warrior Hull"... Best hulls are usually available later in more distant systems.
wish there was a stock exchange type of system for parts instead of flying to each planet
Why? Hunting for better equipment is part of the fun.

Balor

Arcane
Hey, looking for parts and hulls is part of the game's fun!
Btw, I hope you didn't miss the search system, didn't you? You can search for hulls there.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Damn thnx , i got a verry good hull atm that i bought in the beginning for trading , but its a Maloq model so the speed is low as hell even if its a 700 space hull with 4 weapon slots , well i guess i will go try the search and look for a faster hull.

Wolfstan

Novice
Hello, RPG Codex. First post here, in a thread about the best game I've played in a long time! :D

I have some questions; What symbols correspond to what Dominator sects? I've been trying to figure this out, I combed through the manual to no avail.

Is it best to get 3 of the same weapon group, or have a variety of weapons? What weapon type is best overall?

One Wolf

Scholar
Is it true that the SR2 special addition doesn't have Starforce? I've been reading about it, and there is no way I'm putting that shit on my computer. Which is a shame, this game sounds awesome.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
My SR2 didn't have starforce , according to the StarForce
driver removal tools , so i guess so .

Wolfstan said:
Hello, RPG Codex. First post here, in a thread about the best game I've played in a long time! :D

I have some questions; What symbols correspond to what Dominator sects? I've been trying to figure this out, I combed through the manual to no avail.

Is it best to get 3 of the same weapon group, or have a variety of weapons? What weapon type is best overall?
I can't remember what the symbols are let alone describe them, but Blazeroids are red, Kelleroids are blue and Terranoids are green. As for weapons, I just use whatever type matches the artefact I have bonus damage for (usually the one which gives a bonus for fragment weapons). I don't usually bother with missiles in the late game as most ships can out run them or have area effect defences which make short work of missiles, however they are very useful in the early game. In hyperspace the characteristics of the weapons are important, some weapons are virtually useless while the flow-blaster is completely over-powered. If you have three or more flow-blasters going up against Keller than you can't lose, even if I'm not normally using them in space battles I still carry a couple around for hyperspace.

Korin

Novice
I just picked up this game last week and its been a blast. Though I find that statement about not being able to kill anything in the beginning of the game ludicrous. The beginning of the game is when it is easiest to kill something, especially pirates. Later on they upgrade their equipment so much that unless you've kept up, its almost impossible to fight them.

The key to fighting the pirates is to keep in mind that they usually have the best equipment. The pirates kill other ships and pick up the loot so they upgrade faster than any other ship. If you get a ship scanner you can take a peek at what they have and fight them accordingly.

One of the early strategies is to use Frag Cannons. The starting pirates usually have shields and a repair bot, so you have to do enough minimal damage to overcome that. If you started out with the weapons skill this makes it a little easier. The frag cannons usually have a higher minimal and max dmg in the beginning and makes it alot easier. The missile launcher is good but not as a offensive weapon. It keeps the pirate from hitting you cause it is too busy shooting your missiles.

As for them constantly running, thats easily solved. First get one to attack you, then start running away towards a corner of the map. Keep going til you are way beyond the boundries and then turn around and blast the crap out of him. He may try to run but theres no where to run to.

As for trading. A good way to make some fast bucks is to go to the business center and get the biggest loan, then get as much drugs as you can for the cheapest price you can, then sell it at the most expensive place, taking a notch out of your reputation.

Keep doing this and repeat til you get thrown in jail. Live out the jail sentence and your rep is reset back to normal. I did this in the beginning and the first run netting me around 50k extra profit after I paid off the loan. It only took me about 20 days to pay the loan off.

Wolfstan

Novice
For money, in the beginning I just did quests and invested in charisma so my payouts became larger. Then I bought better equipment, and from there skirmished with dominators and hunted recently freed systems to find RTS missions to beat. I find that RTS missions pay a lot better than most anything else.

It's really quite hilarious to watch the #1 ranger retreat from a battle while you stay and kill as many dominators as possible. Then again, all ships except battleships retreat by default when they are at low hp or are outnumbered.

Norfleet

Wolfstan said:
It's really quite hilarious to watch the #1 ranger retreat from a battle while you stay and kill as many dominators as possible. Then again, all ships except battleships retreat by default when they are at low hp or are outnumbered.
I'm a real bastard, so I usually execute him for cowardice when that happens. And loot his corpse.

heihei

Novice
Hi I lost

I'm new to the game. got it from play a few days ago and has played ten years on normal.

I bought a big pirate ship with four slots for weapons and one artefact.
Suddenly something strange happened. One weapon slot disappeared!
I took this as a sign that it was time to get a new ship, bought a polymorph ranger with a hull size of about 750 for 250k. It had four artefact slots and three weapon slots. (now that I've read this forum I'm gonna look for an ideal one). BUT THE NEW HULL ONLY HAS TWO SPOTS WHEN I GET IT!!
So the last used to have 4, now has three.
the new should have 3 but only has 2.
What is wrong with the universe??? Please help.

I'm not a very experienced RTS played and I have problems with the RTS missions.
Does anybody have any good advice?
Like a "how to win the RTS missions walkthrough?"

I play on normal, so this might not be possible on the harder levels, but I got a fast engine (plus a speed artefact) and bought a lot of missile launchers (6), plus 4 energy weapons. then I attacked one of the dominator-dominated systems all by myself.
I circled the dominators and shot missile after missile and killed about half of the dominators. I jumped to the nearest free system, reloaded, went back and killed the rest. A couple of rangers appeared to help me get the two real big and slow ones with the torpedoes.
I've repeated the process a few times and liberated five systems, killing 70+ dominators.

There's a lot of things I've missed in the game so far.
I havent entered the black holes yet!
I havent used the probes.
I havent gotten anybody to follow my command.

Some artifacts and weapons can eat up a slot from your hull. Make sure to read all the descriptions and if you don't see it take them out one by one til you see it come back.

Commanding people is mostly a waste of time and money, btw. They just run away if serious trouble comes.

Norfleet

Re: Hi I lost

heihei said:
I'm not a very experienced RTS played and I have problems with the RTS missions.
Does anybody have any good advice?
Like a "how to win the RTS missions walkthrough?"
Build a defensive line of maxed out quadrocket bots backed by quadrepairs. Build yourself your own quadrocket. Manually pilot it DOOM-style and mow down your enemies with it. When you have killed the enemy base, take it over and park your defensive line in front of it alongside the new rocket turrets. Then start advancing in your manually pilotted quadrocket again. The unit AI is brick stupid, so if you try to make them fight without you, they just turn into a churning confused mass and die. You, alone, can do more damage driving manually than the units can fighting as a pack. Snipe, bombard, and fall back.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I found that my troops had much better survival rates if I commanded them because the AI will keep them in a shootout until they explode.

I equip every bot with one reparier, then just control a pack of 9. When one of them starts to near death I send him into the back of the clump, meanwhile everyone is healing him while firing their missles. If I'm fighting a huge horde of enemies I'll just keep retreating my guys after they fire a salvo, because while rolling backwards in retreat they heal, but they don't get shot at. Also, when persuing, the enemy AI tends to go single file, so your retreat essentially lets you face the enemy 1on9.

I keep a group of 9 guys at the two or three checkpoints each map has, and am always using one to hit and run on enemy groups and bases. Really the only problem is when one group is engaged on one side of the map while I'm actively controlling the other group. Considering the odds you face in later missions, your groups of 9 will get ganked if you're not watching over them and making them retreat when wounded.

Missle launchers are the most cost effective armament. I use it almost exclusively except when I start getting a lot of plasma, then I start replacing them with plasma guns. I virtually always use the dynamo headset, and try to include mortars as well, however these are the last priority. The only REAL priority is that every tank use the quad setup so as to have the most firepower available. And once I've essentially got the match won I tend to make sure I've got anti-grav on all my robots. The unit limits are low enough (plus you can only control 9 guys at a time IIRC) that you'll want to be producing the highest quality robots you can afford most of the time. They last longer, and with the way I play casualties are generall low.

That said, I had to play one map like 4 times until I won because one depot was in a pincer between two enemies, and it would always get destroyed. It took me a while to figure out what the enemy would do prior to attacking so I could pull back and then let them fight each other while I watched. Then I'd move in, kill the winner, and recap the base until I had to abandon it again.

Screw bases. The only thing that is really important in the RTS missions is that you have zero casualties, and that's easy to do if you control the units in RTS mode, and always fight on the defensive. Trigger the enemy, then run back to where the rest of the group is waiting in a semi-circle. They all fire their missles at once and destroy the first one or two mechs instantly. Then if it gets too hot, retreat. Easy peasy.

Oh, also, the only real threat to this strategy comes from suiciding mechs, which usually neccesitate switching to the other headset for a while, until your forces are mixed and therefore can withstand and heal when you do get bombed.

heihei

Novice
another dumbfuck said:
Some artifacts and weapons can eat up a slot from your hull. Make sure to read all the descriptions and if you don't see it take them out one by one til you see it come back.

Commanding people is mostly a waste of time and money, btw. They just run away if serious trouble comes.

Thanks. That was the problem. I can't believe I didn't manage to connect the dots myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom