Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If Bioware had not ressuciated the rpg genre...

Andhaira

Arcane
All crpg's are a step down when compared to Ultima 7. :) Its an unfair comparison.

I still cannot believ no rpg has come close to U7's accomplishments with reagrds to world detail and interactivity.

Ratty

Scholar
Volourn said:
So, again, I ask... why was BG1 *really* a success?
Maybe all those factors compounded to make the game a runaway success? That possibility never occurred to you, did it, Bio-fanboy?

Regardless, my explanation of BG's success is simple - it was a fantasy dungeon crawler delivered to a market starved for fantasy dungeon crawlers. Snazzy, hi-res, Diablo-style graphics, real-time combat and Fallout-style dialogue trees mounted to further augment the game's appeal.

Bottom line - BG's excellent reception was mostly for superficial reasons and had little do with the game's quality (which is debatable at best).

Andhaira

Arcane
Ratty you fool! Baldurs Gate was NOT high res, that was on eo fhte complaqints lodged against it. Bg2 was high res though.

Furthermore dialodue tree's were most certainly NOT implemented in fallout first, who the FUCK gave you that bullshit it idea?

PLenty of rpgs had dialogue trees way way before fallout.

Ratty

Scholar
Andhaira said:
Baldurs Gate was NOT high res, that was on eo fhte complaqints lodged against it.
It was 640 x 480. Maybe you weren't around, mouth-breather, but that was considered high resolution back in the '90s.

Furthermore dialodue tree's were most certainly NOT implemented in fallout first, who the FUCK gave you that bullshit it idea?
No, and isometric view wasn't first implemented Diablo, much like Warcraft and Command & Conquer weren't the first strategy games to have point 'n click real-time combat. However, they significantly contributed to popularity of these mechanics and effectively made them norm. Fallout did the same for dialogues, and only an idiot can't see Fallout's influence in dialogue mechanics of IE games.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ratty said:
Andhaira said:
Baldurs Gate was NOT high res, that was on eo fhte complaqints lodged against it.
It was 640 x 480. Maybe you weren't around, mouth-breather, but that was considered high resolution back in the '90s.

You stupid cocksucker. It was LOW rezo for the time; Bio themselves admitted it. They attempted to increase resao with the ToTS expansion but then decided against it. If you don't believe me dig up archives and read BG1 reviews from 1998. That was the main complaint against bg1, its reso was too low.

No, and isometric view wasn't first implemented Diablo, much like Warcraft and Command & Conquer weren't the first strategy games to have point 'n click real-time combat. However, they significantly contributed to popularity of these mechanics and effectively made them norm. Fallout did the same for dialogues, and only an idiot can't see Fallout's influence in dialogue mechanics of IE games.

You stupid, stupid stupid fag loving pig, you have no clue what you are bitching about! It was Dune 2 that invented AND popularized the RTS genre. Blizzards warcraft was inspired totally by Dune 2 you stupid penisluve.

Fallout didi not invent dialogue trees and BG1's dialogue trees were ceertainly not inspred by fallout. Else there would have had been more options/cnc, instead of the yes/no types of tree's bg1 had.

andhairaue3.jpg

doctor_kaz

Scholar
If Bioware had not made the Baldurs Gate games, then today's RPG landscape would be no different, because the genre of games that they essentially launched is now completely dead as as doornail anyways. It had about five glorious years and then vanished, and it's never coming back, unless some small time Eastern European studio produces a miracle, which could always happen I guess.

Ratty

Scholar
andhaira said:
You stupid, stupid stupid fag loving pig, you have no clue what you are bitching about! It was Dune 2 that invented AND popularized the RTS genre. Blizzards warcraft was inspired totally by Dune 2 you stupid penisluve.
First of all, Dune 2 invented the RTS genre? Strange, how come I've never heard of this Dune 2 company? You would be talking about Westwood Studios, would you, dipshit?

Second of all, Dune II wasn't the first RTS. There were real-time strategy games on fucking ZX Spectrum. Westwood can be credited with establishing the most popular format for RTS games with Dune II, one that came to be used in numerous titles in years to come. But I sincerely doubt the format would have become anywhere near that popular if it hadn't been for the massive, unprecedented success of Command & Conquer and Wacraft series, both of which built upon that foundation. Feel free to convince me otherwise. I'd prefer if you simply shut the fuck up, though, because your rampant stupidity has made it utterly impossible to participate in a discussion without getting knee-deep in your mental dung.

Fallout didi not invent dialogue trees
Nice job refuting something no-one contested.

and BG1's dialogue trees were ceertainly not inspred by fallout. Else there would have had been more options/cnc, instead of the yes/no types of tree's bg1 had.
I said BioWare was influenced by Fallout. I didn't say they did a good job capitalizing on that influence.

mjorkerina

Scholar
FO1 was out in 97, BG1 in 98, I don't think bioware had the time to let Fallout influence their development process. The way they thought of handling dialogues trees in the infinity engine must have been set in stone even before FO1 was out.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ratty said:

You stupid cocksucker. It was LOW rezo for the time; Bio themselves admitted it. They attempted to increase resao with the ToTS expansion but then decided against it. If you don't believe me dig up archives and read BG1 reviews from 1998. That was the main complaint against bg1, its reso was too low.

Ratty said:
andhaira said:
First of all, Dune 2 invented the RTS genre? Strange, how come I've never heard of this Dune 2 company? You would be talking about Westwood Studios, would you, dipshit?

Second of all, Dune II wasn't the first RTS. There were real-time strategy games on fucking ZX Spectrum. Westwood can be credited with establishing the most popular format for RTS games with Dune II, one that came to be used in numerous titles in years to come. But I sincerely doubt the format would have become anywhere near that popular if it hadn't been for the massive, unprecedented success of Command & Conquer and Wacraft series, both of which built upon that foundation. Feel free to convince me otherwise. I'd prefer if you simply shut the fuck up, though, because your rampant stupidity has made it utterly impossible to participate in a discussion without getting knee-deep in your mental dung.

Fallout didi not invent dialogue trees
Nice job refuting something no-one contested.

and BG1's dialogue trees were ceertainly not inspred by fallout. Else there would have had been more options/cnc, instead of the yes/no types of tree's bg1 had.
I said BioWare was influenced by Fallout. I didn't say they did a good job capitalizing on that influence.

You asshole! Dune II popularizedthe RTS genre NOT blizzard, unlike what you stupidly believe. You are stupid, your views are stupid. Go fuck yourself.

BigWeather

Augur
Delta Green is people!

Anyhow, I think BioWare deserves the credit for ressurrecting party-based RPGs and keeping that flame lit even today.

Many of the older series in the mid-90s had abandoned party-based play (Ultima, for instance, having abandoned it with Ultima VIII and IX) and many of the newer franchises lacked that feature (Diablo included). Much of this was due to the switch to 3D first-person perspective (but not all -- see Ultima VIII and Diablo).

So it was refreshing to see a company keeping party-based RPGs alive. Sure there have been other ones since, but I'm worried it would've gone the way of the dodo were it not for BioWare.

I want a very realistic party-based dungeon crawler where the environment is the deadliest foe. Wish someone would ressurect that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bottom line - BG's excellent reception was mostly for superficial reasons and had little do with the game's quality"

Bullshit. Complete, and utter bullshit. With no facts to back it up. Typical of the Codex.

"BIO's success has nothing to do with them. It's all about outside factors - D&D logo, sex, custome rstupidity, etc., etc."

Lame.

I bet you think if the cretaors of POR2 had made BG, the game would be just as good and as successful. L0LLIGAGZ!

Ratty

Scholar
Andhaira said:
Listen, moron, I'm getting tired of dealing with your idiocy. Anyone who was a gamer in mid-nineties can confirm that low resolution referred to 320 x 200 and 320 x 240, the most common display resolutions of the DOS era. Anything from 640 x 480 upwards was considered high resolution. 640 x 480 became the most common resolution in the early Windows era and it was used in vast majority of games. Diablo, Fallout, Stacraft, Baldur's Gate are all examples of 640 x 480 games. 800 x 600 was still considered pretty high-end - for instance, it was the highest resolution Voodoo 2 (state-of-the-art graphics chipset in 1998) could render to without disabling Z-buffer (which was pretty much a non-option for 3D games).

I have no idea why any reviewer would be retarded enough to complain about BG's "low" resolution when the exact same resolution was the highest one supported in almost every game released over the past two years. Either the reviewers you mention were as mentally incompenent as you or your underdeveloped intellect simply failed to correctly interpret something they wrote.

You asshole! Dune II popularizedthe RTS genre NOT blizzard, unlike what you stupidly believe. You are stupid, your views are stupid. Go fuck yourself.
Feel free to present your arguments right about now, dumbfuck. Oh right, you don't have any, likely because thinking them up would interfere with your ability to breathe.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Volourn said:
Bullshit. Complete, and utter bullshit. With no facts to back it up. Typical of the Codex.

You sure showed 'em how it really should be done. Not that I'm expecting you to stop being the forum idiot anytime soon, though.

nik2008ofs

Scholar
Andhaira said:
IMO the rpg genre was in dire straits, and would have gone the way of the adventure genre

You mean, a thriving if niche market, with new games catering to the diverse tastes of a dedicated consumer base coming out every other month? If only...

But I'm probably taking you more seriously than I should, always a danger with a good troll.

And the game that proved that cRpgs could be a commercial and critical success after a long hiatus was Might and Magic 6.

Lumpy

Arcane
Andhaira isn't a good troll, he's such a crappy one that nobody believes he could do it on purpose.

Amasius

Augur
Lumpy said:
Andhaira isn't a good troll, he's such a crappy one that nobody believes he could do it on purpose.
But that makes him THE BEST TROLL EVAR!!!11, right? He succeeds where all others have failed. I doubt that there was ever someone here so many people wanted to be banned. Not even Volourn in his heyday was so unpopular.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Only idiots want him banned. The guy is harmless. Don't like his trheads? Don't post in 'em. Duh. Don't like his posts? Don't repsond to them. Duh. Geez.. The Codexers can be stupid at time just like any other forum when such an obvious concept escapes their braincells.

P.S. Who gives a fuck about popularity? Only pussies who need others' approval do. Dumbass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom