Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you buy The Witcher you support the terrorists.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
If the toolset is easier to use than NWN2's, this might have as many fan-made mods as the original NWN. The combat looks OK, but it's not innovative in any way, as the developers claim. Timing-based combat has been done before, look at action games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I want even more bloom! There's not enough to do not see people's faces. Ask Betheda how to do it, bitches!

In other news -

fighting looks pretty good and level design is awesome. Especially I like true forest trees. And not like in most games where they are just 2 meter tall.

However I'm somewhat disappointed with somewhat diablish leveling system.

also

the guy from the preview said:
The console version is under the consideration

fuck you!

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
The sword fighting does look good though. At 2:43 you see him actually gripping the blade (half-swording?) and using a two handed sword in a way that isn't the generic smash stuff like a bat that's present in standard fantasy.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It doesn't suddenly become a bad game if they port it to consoles after it's finished.

well the game is not finished yet. And if "suddenly" they will decide to port it... I'm sure they will dumb it down. They have the time. I just hope they will dumb it down only for consoles if what.

JoeDirt

Scholar
console porting may not fuck up The Witcher, but it certainly will fuck up The Witcher 2.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just because it happens in 99.99% of all the cases, it does not mean that console portation will dumb down a game or its sequels for sure...

Kraszu

Prophet
skyway said:
It doesn't suddenly become a bad game if they port it to consoles after it's finished.

well the game is not finished yet. And if "suddenly" they will decide to port it... I'm sure they will dumb it down. They have the time. I just hope they will dumb it down only for consoles if what.

No way that it will happen, they have pc game that is almost finished and is polished, that is decently hyped now. All that could happen if that they could decide to remake it after they finish pc version, that would not make Pc version worse but it would be horrible waste of time, and they trouble.

Atari person: "Nothing official but I would like to see it happen." So duh, he said nothing that is politic talk, you should get used to it already.

Globbi

Augur
Porting to consoles would require a totally different controlls, it will probably be difficult to make (or to come up with a good idea for it) but it can be done. I guess it's easier to make sucky controlls out of console controlls. Anyway, as for now the game is (nearly) done for PCs and it won't suck in the aspects of controlls and interface. Any sequels will probably won't be bad either as they would use same schemes.

The content such as dialouges is something different and doesn't really depend on being a game for consoles or for PCs. I don't think it would get dumbed down in next parts of the game if the first will be succesfull (considering the same developers willl make it).

Inziladun

Magister
skyway said:

Have the time for what? The game is like a month away from release now.

In other news, read the comments on the video, they're pretty funny.

Sodomy

Scholar
Not only did they say that they might port it, though, they said that it would fit well on a console. Add to that what they've said about the combat system, and the best we can hope for is an actiony RPG-lite, like the Gothic series.

Actually, their descriptions of the levelling system (and the combat system) sound A LOT like Gothic 2. True, you don't directly get new skills in Gothic 2 when you level (unless it's something like take trophies or alchemy), but the one handed/two handed ability basically goes towards getting you better, faster, longer combos (although, hilariously, the master combo for one handed wasn't as good as the intermediate one...). Gothic 2 is good, and I suppose a "second" Gothic 2 wouild be welcome, but it's probably not worth the amount of hype it gets around here.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Sodomy said:
Not only did they say that they might port it, though, they said that it would fit well on a console.

I'm pretty sure that was PR bullshit.

Globbi

Augur
Shoelip said:
Sodomy said:
Not only did they say that they might port it, though, they said that it would fit well on a console.

I'm pretty sure that was PR bullshit.
I think so, it wasn't a guy from CDPR but someone from Atari. Amazingly he's called senior producer but I think he doesn't do any more than managing translation and bugfixes of what is already done. He may not even know much about the game production and how could it be ported.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Gothic 2 is a very good RPG, even better with NotR. If the Witcher is going to have the same level of RPGishness, I'm sold.

Well, actually, I'm sold already, but anyway.

Morbus

Scholar
JoeDirt said:
If you buy The Witcher you support the terrorists.
Pray tell, I support the terrorists already, am I obliged by moral duty to buy The Witcher? It looks to be such a poor game... :? Better than most crap in comparison, sure, but so poor...

deuxhero

Arcane
skyway said:
The content such as dialouges is something different and doesn't really depend on being a game for consoles or for PCs.

Tell that to Commander Shepard.

wasn't he from Command and Conquer? *checks* yep

are you refering to how in the console ports the videos don't have lip syncing or what?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I can't wait to play Twitcher, it's an honest action rpg that's worth a try if it can live up to its promise.

Shoelip

Arbiter
deuxhero said:
skyway said:
The content such as dialouges is something different and doesn't really depend on being a game for consoles or for PCs.

Tell that to Commander Shepard.

wasn't he from Command and Conquer? *checks* yep

are you refering to how in the console ports the videos don't have lip syncing or what?

No way, he was in the Half-Life expansion Opposing Force too! (Cept I'm not sure of his rank) How old is this guy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom