Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review IGN opens up KOTOR 2 review season

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Obsidian indicated they'd be making more of a difference between different Jedi classes, so Consulars (e.g.) will be less effective in combat than they were in the first game. I approve."

Physical combat maybe; but with all the new force powers and new feats; they should still be able to hold more than their own.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I don't remember Malak being hard at all... but maybe I'm forgetting stuff since the game was entirely forgettable. I do remember fighting Malak and there were a bunch of people in large glass jars. So I guess I have to ask which battle am I remembering, the first or the second battle with Malak. If that was the second one that some are saying was more difficult, I thought it was super easy. All you have to do is kill all the people in the jars so he can't take their lifeforce or whatever and then he dies really damned quickly after that.

As you can probably see I don't remember too much about the game, but I do remember it being super easy. I thought it was a decent game, but I probably wouldn't have given it nearly as high regard as IGN apparently did.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Screaming_life said:
kumquatq3 said:
KOTOR II's overall story is not quite as strong as the sweeping epic of the original

The only thing that kept me playing the first one was the story!

Yep

I'm crossing my fingers on this one. I'm hoping this reviewer didn't like the darker story, and saw it as "less epic".

Screaming_life

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Imo, KOTOR's story sucked ass, especially the "spectacular twist" that anyone who didn't have ADD saw a mile away.

:D i must have been numb from boredom then!

I thought the story was good in that it was very "star wars" - sure it was nothing special but it's based on a hollywood movie, so what do you expect?

----------

About the Malak battle:

What annoyed me most was when he started to regain health from the other jedi's you couldn't kill them yourself!!! :twisted:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The other jedi's? You mean the people in the jarrs? You could destroy them with a force power (force ligthning or that thingie that hurt droids) The battle was a cookie afterwards.

I liked kotor, the first part that is. Later on it became a lot less intruiging and the worlds just didn;t seem as fleshed out and cool as the starter part. I'm still rather hopefull about part 2 though.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Screaming_life said:
Trash said:
The other jedi's? You mean the people in the jarrs? You could destroy them with a force power (force ligthning or that thingie that hurt droids) The battle was a cookie afterwards.

Really?!! ahh damn it! i was sure i had tried that!!

Actually, It was the one that steals life from others, IIRC it was called force drain or something

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Screaming_life said:
I thought the story was good in that it was very "star wars" - sure it was nothing special but it's based on a hollywood movie, so what do you expect
The story was basically "collect the 4 thingies and defeat the evil guy" for good or evil reasons. The twist was too obvious because they kept hinting at it, and didn't change anything in the story. It was more like:

-Hey, dude, you know, actually you are that big bad evil guy everyone's talking about.
-So?
-Nothing. Just thought you should know.
-Cool

It would have been nice if the twist was optional (i.e. you may or may not realize who you are), and if you do, you gain some knowledge and insight that would change a few things here and there. The way it was done though, there was no difference whatsoever between being Revan and being some random guy

About the Malak battle:

What annoyed me most was when he started to regain health from the other jedi's you couldn't kill them yourself!!! :twisted:
As Trash said, you can. I threw my lightsaber at them and that was the end of that chapter :)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Turnbased combat... Oh that's great. Maybe we have to send out some lecturers?

Anyway, looks nice enough to stink I suppose (hey, IGN praised it), but I probably will pick it up just to see what it's about. I'm curious about that influence-thing and if Avellone has worked his magic fingers to make the story at least fairly interesting.

Too bad about the new Carth-character, though. Atton. Sounds like a swedish word for "damn". Attan! :lol:

Deacdo

Liturgist
*groan* bugs

So another SP Xbox game will likely require LIVE! in order to get the full game, I see :|

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Heh, tried it again. You can destroy them with lightsaber throws, force lightning and that drain thingie. Now, how's that for multiple solutions in a quest. :lol:

Sad news, wrote a big fucking post for the h-world thread...went to the loo and some fucking roommate clicked it away to check his fucking mail. 15 minutes wasted...sigh.

Vault Dweller

Developer
but kill the roommate first :lol: may I recommend a fully blown Chtulhu sacrifice ceremony?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Staring at him "up close and personal" when he awakes while holding a sharp rock (obsidian knives are hard to find these days) would also add some tensions.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I like details, they create such a wonderful atmosphere. Having a pissed off roomie who stares at you is nothing, having a crazy roomie who is slowly building a sacrificial altar, leaving books "Cthulhu summoning for dummies" everywhere, and practicing precise cuts on you with a pen while you sleep is priceless.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Staring at him "up close and personal" when he awakes while holding a sharp rock (obsidian knives are hard to find these days) would also add some tensions.

Just stand there with your pants down, looking at him, twitch your eyes and go PAK-CHOOIE-HUNF!! loudly (emphasis on repeating HUNF!! several times in a row). If that doesn't scare him, nothing else will.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Deacdo said:
*groan* bugs

So another SP Xbox game will likely require LIVE! in order to get the full game, I see :|

Nope, no Obsidian didn't preprogram the game for Xbox live, so no Live content

The PC version won't have anything significant, in terms of content, that the Xbox one didn't have either

suibhne

Erudite
kumquatq3 said:
The PC version won't have anything significant, in terms of content, that the Xbox one didn't have either

Significant bugs should be fixed before the PC release, and Obsidian hinted (maybe even confirmed) they'd retool the interface a bit for higher resolutions. I think the latter alone is worth waiting for, as the KotOR interface on PC was terrible.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Significant bugs should be fixed before the PC release"

Doubtful.

A. Most of Obsidian are now working on NWN2.

B. There are a lot more variables for the PC version so any possible bugs found in the x-box version doesn't mean they'll be the same ones that a PC will have.

Spazmo

Erudite
Most of the bugs will likely exist in dialog or scripting or what have you and should exist in both versions.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
A. Most of Obsidian are now working on NWN2.

They have two teams; I assume they'll be keeping at least a few folks on PC KotOR 2 until it's gold.

B. There are a lot more variables for the PC version so any possible bugs found in the x-box version doesn't mean they'll be the same ones that a PC will have.

Good point. I was thinking of scripting and dialogue bugs, which might not be too hard to fix, but bugs unique to the Windows version are a whole other ball of wax.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom