Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review IGN opens up KOTOR 2 review season

Gromnir

Liturgist
suibhne said:
kumquatq3 said:
The PC version won't have anything significant, in terms of content, that the Xbox one didn't have either

Significant bugs should be fixed before the PC release, and Obsidian hinted (maybe even confirmed) they'd retool the interface a bit for higher resolutions. I think the latter alone is worth waiting for, as the KotOR interface on PC was terrible.

yes, many of the xbox version bugs will be fixed before the february release of the pc version. this is how things were for the previous staggered release of kotor... but that time they had 4 months as 'posed to 2, and the pc version were still suffering from more bugs than we would have liked... seemed like there were more than a small number of ati folks who were screaming bloody murder when kotor for pc were released.

vol is right 'bout this... given the huge number of different hardware configs that qa must contend with for a pc release, we expect that the pc version will be AT LEAST as buggy as the console. the main difference is that the pc release will get fixed at some point... after all, this is not a troika/atari release.

HA! Good Fun!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"They have two teams; I assume they'll be keeping at least a few folks on PC KotOR 2 until it's gold."

That's why i said "most" were. 1, or 2 may stay behind working on KOTOR2; but most have moved on. I'm sorry but a handful of people aren't gonna find and fix all the bugs not on the PC version where so many variables have to be tested.

Sure, they'll probably deal with the dialogue kind of bugs but those ones tend to be the easiest of bugs to ignore and get past...

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Ran across this and thought it was interesting, it's a obsidian dev (programmer) if you don't know who Akari is:

The framerate issues aren't really related to graphics at all. The problem is caused by all of the other systems throughout the game engine that are running. Creature AI updates, script execution, combat AI, etc. All those things take up CPU time and make it slower for the game engine to complete '1 loop' so that it can render the next frame. Which is why you'll probably find the slowest framerates in combat.

The trouble with framerates is a side effect of using what was essentially a PC game engine on a console. PC engines tend to be written with convenience and flexibility in mind. But the side effect of this 'designer friendly' approach is that the game is slower. Data is stored as strings more than binary data, and string compares are rampant throughout the code, which are overly expensive (CPU-wise) operations compared to alternative approaches.

Console-specific engines tend to be written a lot tighter. They tend to be far more memory efficient and clockcycle efficient. To solve these problems in KotOR2, we would have to have rewritten a lot of the engine, which the timeline for the project did not allow for. And even still, we made amazing improvements over many of the systems, it's just that we then turned around and pushed the systems harder than they had been pushed before.

Early on in the project, we roughly doubled the average framerate of KotOR1, but then added a lot more stuff to the areas and the framerate went back down. We're also loading roughly 2 to 3 times the data per area load that KotOR1 loaded, but we were able to speed the loading process up enough that the load times are roughly equivalent to KotOR1. If we were loading KotOR1 levels with our changes, the load times would have been much faster.

Most of the time, we considered KotOR1 the 'as bad as we can let it get' in terms of load times and framerates, then kept adding content to areas until the game slowed down to roughly the KotOR1 performance, figuring that was a safe baseline to operate from.

-Akari

suibhne

Erudite
That's an interesting post from Akari. On the other hand, the framerate whining is going to be pretty XBox-specific. Doesn't mean it won't affect some of you, but I'm definitely holding out for higher resolutions and potential interface improvements in the PC version.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
suibhne said:
Doesn't mean it won't affect some of you, but I'm definitely holding out for higher resolutions and potential interface improvements in the PC version.

Yeah, same here. I can hold out until February. Just gotta avoid reading KOTOR 2 posts from this point forward so I don't get hit upside the head with any major spoilers.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
suibhne said:
Doesn't mean it won't affect some of you, but I'm definitely holding out for higher resolutions and potential interface improvements in the PC version.

Yeah, same here. I can hold out until February. Just gotta avoid reading KOTOR 2 posts from this point forward so I don't get hit upside the head with any major spoilers.

What I was told, iirc, was that the PC has double the rez of the X-box.

As far as interface, it is now scaleable. It also has several filters at least and a promise to take care of the "pile o' datapads" problem.

Not sure what else.

protobob

Liturgist
KOTOR's combat was dull.
And I beat the final boss battle on my first attempt.
I hate boss battles anyway.

suibhne

Erudite
It was possible to finish the PS:T endgame with only one fight (at least, I think I. can't be avoided or diplomaticized), and the end boss in particular could be talked down in several different ways (based on stats and past game actions). I hope Avellone & Co. bring a similar design philosophy to this one.

Endgame boss combats are generally terrible.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
suibhne said:
It was possible to finish the PS:T endgame with only one fight (at least, I think I. can't be avoided or diplomaticized), and the end boss in particular could be talked down in several different ways (based on stats and past game actions). I hope Avellone & Co. bring a similar design philosophy to this one.

Endgame boss combats are generally terrible.

Generally, yes. Because most developers don't put the time and effort to making the end-game in any way enjoyable as much as the early game, because they create their first half of the game just to pander to reviewers who don't play all the way through the game before they write their review, and rack a quick buck. Truth is, they don't give a fuck about us gamers.

AlanC9

Liturgist
suibhne said:

Nah. It just wouldn't be Star Wars without lots and lots of mowing down grunts.

Fez

Erudite
Maybe they'll add in another space station to the PC version and piss off the Xbox owners?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, you have to be honest and say the same thing, too. The graphics do suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom