Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview IGN previews Oblivion

truekaiser

Scholar
Quigs said:
HardCode said:
DamnElfGirl said:
I like how the previewer warns readers, "Be aware, this preview may get a little technical". Oh, those wacky IGN dudes.

Translates to: We know the XBox spaz-tards can't handle in-depth games, so be careful with this in-depth description of how to make ice.

Translates to : I have an inferiority complex, so I make rash statements about a large group of people.

Id be embarrassed too, if I payed 3 times more for hardware to play the same game that Xbox players will play.
yet you get a machine that can do more and will most likely last longer then the xbox360.

Zli

Novice
truekaiser said:
Oblivion's main quest will last 20 to 25 hours
not much story is there?

or are you just laying on the backs of modders to make the content that will make people buy the game rather then provideing yourself like promised?
Ffs, 20 hours of main quest gameplay (that's without the four guilds and other side quests) isn't enough for you?! Come on...

truekaiser said:
not much story is there?

or are you just laying on the backs of modders to make the content that will make people buy the game rather then provideing yourself like promised?

dood didnt you know the average xboxers attenshun span is only 10 minutes lol 20 hours is really pushing it

truekaiser

Scholar
Zli said:
truekaiser said:
not much story is there?

Ffs, 20 hours of main quest gameplay (that's without the four guilds and other side quests) isn't enough for you?! Come on...

if it's anything remotely like morrowind the guilds can be completed within 4 or five hours, side quests even less. i would not be surprised if someone could complete all the non-fan made quests etc in less then 100 hours.
they have yet to release any more concrete info then three screenshots on the cs so i am not counting any fan-made content any time soon.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
If I had a choice I would rather have them put in more sidequest and random content (lore, hidden things, interesting non-quest realted dialogue) than make a longer mainquest. Hell, for all I care they could scratch the main quest altogether.

truekaiser

Scholar
GhanBuriGhan said:
If I had a choice I would rather have them put in more sidequest and random content (lore, hidden things, interesting non-quest realted dialogue) than make a longer mainquest. Hell, for all I care they could scratch the main quest altogether.

i forget who sujested it but i liked the idea of having a job board for each town with randomly seleted quests from a pool of quests better then just side quests.

Balor

Arcane
Well, 'Space Rangers' system where quests are dynamically generated based on actual events (like, if there is a particulary nasty pirate - you'll be asked to hunt him down) - would be simply great.
Yet it require a really living world... and. so far, it's not too widerspread a feature.

What I find interesting is that MSFD (or was it one of the other devs?) has already spoken about the skill bonus feature at the five different levels. They've also talked about giving money meaning as compared to MW, in that houses and horses cost a ton of money.

Balor

Arcane
Well, they talked about it, but not in detail.
Means, only mentioned that something like that exists, but nothing in particular.
On the other hand...
Do you automatically gain the 'tier bonuses' as you gain enough skillpoints, or you must complete some quild quests to receive them?
Latter would be very cool, I think... like in Arcanum or M&M :).

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
We had the chance today to sit down and go hands-on with Bethesda's upcoming role playing epic for the Xbox 360 we continue to be impressed by the title's appearance and depth.

You can also tell the game to automatically resolve the lockpick sequence instead of doing it manually, but this seemed to result more often than not in broken picks.

Combat in Oblivion differs from that in Morrowind since if you swing directly at an enemy, it will hit every time.

Oblivion's map function allows you to quick travel to certain destinations by clicking on them and also highlights the targets of quests
Compass + Map Quest Highlight.

From the intricately detailed swords and axes to the runes that glow over your body when you cast the most minor of healing spells it's obvious this game aims to please the most hardcore, demanding gamers out there.
IRONY!

That said, Sacred had a compass and map quest highlight. I wouldn't call it deep though. More of a kind of fun combat game for the "casual gamer", as opposed to something interesting to get your teeth into.

Unofficial Official Codex Classification: RPG Liteâ„¢
Quest Expectations: Linear as All Buggery

Tintin

Arbiter
Combat in Oblivion differs from that in Morrowind since if you swing directly at an enemy, it will hit every time.

Oh no. A weapon, when swung directly at an enemy within range and when the enemy does not dodge, making contact? BLASPHEMY!! What has the world come to?? I propose a hunger strike.

Twinfalls

Erudite
truekaiser said:
i forget who sujested it but i liked the idea of having a job board for each town with randomly seleted quests from a pool of quests better then just side quests.

Or better yet a system like Daggerfall which had randomly selected quests from a pool of quests (or rather, pools, depending on the type of NPC), given to you by NPCs rather than a board.

This is a series where two steps back for every step forward would actually be a good thing, if it was two steps back to the previous games.

kris

Arcane
Tintin said:

Oh no. A weapon, when swung directly at an enemy within range and when the enemy does not dodge, making contact? BLASPHEMY!! What has the world come to?? I propose a hunger strike.

Well you can happily take the hit while I would parry the blow like a normal (non-Oblivion) warrior would do... Parry with weapon or shield, sidestep, roll away. interrupt attack with feint or a combination of these things.

Now even if I happens to have more HP than a little Tintin like you I don't want us to whack on each other until your HP drains out before me, I heard that can be painful.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Balor said:
Well, 'Space Rangers' system where quests are dynamically generated based on actual events (like, if there is a particulary nasty pirate - you'll be asked to hunt him down) - would be simply great.
Yet it require a really living world... and. so far, it's not too widerspread a feature.

This is a good point. In the real world, stuff happens randomly. If a game wants to present the verisimilitude of a 'living world', as Bethesda claim to aspire to with Oblivion, then some random event-and-quest generation should be a must, and not regarded as some kind of frivolity.

Tintin

Arbiter
Now even if I happens to have more HP than a little Tintin like you I don't want us to whack on each other until your HP drains out before me, I heard that can be painful.

I heard there is this new invention called dodging, and they followed up on it's success with blocking. There's also a thing called sidestepping out of the way, of which the inventors have been sued for copying dodging. Bethesda decided to utilize these fantastic new inventions for their originality and charm as a feature in Oblivion.

match000

Novice
Tintin said:

I heard there is this new invention called dodging, and they followed up on it's success with blocking. There's also a thing called sidestepping out of the way, of which the inventors have been sued for copying dodging. Bethesda decided to utilize these fantastic new inventions for their originality and charm as a feature in Oblivion.

Dodging won't be done right until its like in Unreal Tournament where you double tap a direction and then the guy does a matrix style flip...

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
match000, one of the high end Acrobatics skill perks allow you to do something similar to that (although the controls are block + direction + jump).

Balor

Arcane
You have it already - with MWE.
I bet you'll have it in Oblivion too... and it's a good thing.

Shadow Aspect

Novice
Balor said:
You have it already - with MWE.
I bet you'll have it in Oblivion too... and it's a good thing.
While I was half joking, yes, I did use that combat enhanced mod in Morrowind, and it was a lot of fun :)

micmu said:
pseudo intellectual said:
Skill trees?
What skill trees? IIRC, "perks" in Oblivion are gained automatically and always the same ones.

If they are gained automatically, then they aren't perks in the classic sense (e.g. you choose perks in Fallout & 3E).

But ultimately this doesn't matter. What matters in a CRPG is whether it's a roll playing game or a role playing game. Bethesda's TES model is clearly the former. Very few alternative paths, etc. It's not Bioware linear, more multilinear -- the illusion of "role" playing due to a broad based world with multiple linear paths (very boring paths with unimaginative NPCs and low quality writing and design, no doubt).

What I'm trying to figure out is how this BBS went from Bethsoft sucks, teh fallout 3, Oh noes! To sucking steve meister's dick. R00fles.

Mech

Cipher
micmu said:
Skill trees?
What skill trees? IIRC, "perks" in Oblivion are gained automatically and always the same ones.

If they are gained automatically, then they aren't perks in the classic sense (e.g. you choose perks in Fallout & 3E).

But ultimately this doesn't matter. What matters in a CRPG is whether it's a roll playing game or a role playing game. Bethesda's TES model is clearly the former. Very few alternative paths, etc. It's not Bioware linear, more multilinear -- the illusion of "role" playing due to a broad based world with multiple linear paths (very boring paths with unimaginative NPCs and low quality writing and design, no doubt).

What I'm trying to figure out is how this BBS went from Bethsoft sucks, teh fallout 3, Oh noes! To sucking steve meister's dick. R00fles.

/me ponders why Volourn is posting under a different name.

Balor

Arcane
Ashamed of dumbfuck title? :)
However, the 'roll playing game vs role playing game' is definetely a good one, heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom