Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imaginary games that you'd like to play but they will never exist

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
As the title suggests, name a few settings that you'd wish to be made into games, but is unlikely they would be made.

It could be an existing game but in a different genre, movies/TV series, or even a book.

I'll include a few images for a few, just to give a basic visualization, a rough conceptual idea of how I imagine them.

Since I'm not an artist, I've manipulated some assets, so don't focus too much on the stolen shit. The purpose is to give an idea.

Lopan's Gate: A Big Trouble in Little China RPG

BTILC1.png
BTILC2.png

I always wanted a BTILC game to exist, and no, the side-scrolling beat 'em up designed by Mev Dinc and published by Electric Dreams Software in 1986 for the Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64I was not enough.

A LoG format would be a matching fit here, although an isometric RPG would suffice too. The images are depicting the events of the movie, but why stay in little China and not send Jack and his team to big China?

Lopan has been resurrected and summoned many Chinese abominations, so you'll need to cut the evil from the root, once and for all.

Jungles, temples, villages, and urban exploration all wrapped in an immersive package. Something like Prince of Qin on steroids but within a contemporary setting.

It will probably need Soyer to balance some shit.

Betrayal at Riven: A Myst RPG

MystRPG.png
MystRPG2.png
MystRPG3.png

Infinite ages, countless tribes, and rich lore that already exist. It's pretty weird to think Myst as a proper RPG cause its strongest points are the puzzles and the atmospheric desolateness, with very few characters.

Although URU achieved a RP feeling, since it's like role-playing an archeologist, I'm pretty sure a competent writer could spice things up by writing a story of betrayal with many tribes in conflict and also include a range of peaceful and hostile exotic alien fauna.

Tribe conflicts will bring encounters (not all can be solved diplomatically), and important decision making.

I can imagine it as a Betrayal at Krondor style of game with FPP exploration and a similar battle system. Puzzle solving will open new areas to explore and even help you in tight situations.

Since there are many ages, you're expected to find various weaponry, such as blowpipes with poison darts, exotic crossbows, ingeniously crafted mechanical/steampunk guns, or chemical handmade grenades.

As for the magic, no fireballs and polymorph here, but the D'ni writing will surely help you to create/craft unique contraptions and items of your wildest imagination.

Also I'd want well tuned and carefully hand-placed meaningful encounters, trash mobs are not allowed here.

Hellraiser RPG

Hell-Raiser-blobber.png

Cenobites have made their appearance in a few faggly fighting games but HR deserves better than that. Yes, you guessed it right niggas, it needs some blobber love.

Artifacts like the box will have their own set of skills, besides the cenobite skills, and each artifact/torture device will have their unique set of skills. Similar to NumaNuma artifacts/cyphers but more fleshed-out.

I'd like 2 different campaigns. One with a party of humans chasing the strongest cenobites, with the potential to become a cenobite themselves (depending on your choices).

The other one, a party of apostates cenobites against Leviathan.

Preferably turn-based, phased-based. Yeah, this shit will never happen.

Stasis: The Descent

BDR-Cayne.png

As Pyke already mentioned, isometric is the best metric, but what about another a FPP dungeon crawler in Cayne facilities.

Dungeon crawlers of the 90s were brimmed with puzzles and so the format is a fitting match for a Stasis dungeon crawler.

Many puzzles, imposing atmosphere, and many mutated abominations to kill. It could be a prequel or sequel or even an entire different story with new characters, preferably real-time.

Quest for Incline: A Codexian Point n' Click adventure/RPG

Codex-Physicus.jpg

Codexia-Adventure.jpg

Life on the Codexia island was peaceful and balanced, until one morning, you wake up and most of the prestigious codexers have disappeared.

Your gut is telling you that this is a job of a sadistic moderator.

You'll have to find who's behind all of this decline, solve all the codexian mysteries, save as many codexers as you can during the process, and try to restore the Incline.

A hybrid adventure/RPG with sardonic humor, hilarious item combinations, edgy interactions, degenerate easter eggs, funny puzzles, and a few battles ala QFG.

You could keep codexers to help in your quest, but also kill them along the way, if you think that they aren't worthy enough of incline, after all, the game will have 3 different endings.

Obviously, for this to be made, one needs a prestigious codex bro, capable of designing good puzzles.

And to achieve greatness on the comedic department, he must also be knowledgeable of many codexers and their quirks.

If there is one game that it will never be made, this is the one.

I'd also like to mention a few more but without images.

1. Proper Arthurian RPG

2. Proper Greek/Egyptian RPG

3. Non-cartoony edgy turn-based tacticool RPG with mutated super-human anti-heroes.

4. A Garth Marenghi's dark place adventure, a mix between Harvester and Maniac Mansion.

5. Discworld RPG and a comedy adventure based on the witches of Lancre, where you play all 3 characters ala Day of the Tentacle.

6. Highlander inspired sword fighting action game with light RP elements within a low fantasy urban environment, where you have to travel all over the globe to stop a global conspiracy and behead immortal faggots of different ethnicities.

7. A proper remake of Terror from the Deep, with an expanded tactical combat system and the most impressive underwater visuals that ever existed.

And that's it. Have a gud 2024!

:martini:

Last edited:

Chuck Norris

Augur
A pixel-art survival horror game set in gritty 90s Poland that allows you to switch between 8 different camera angles (from isometric to 3rd person) on the spot.

But I doubt something this weird will ever exist.

hajro

Arbiter
Daggerfall but its in wuxia land, i want to exterminate all sects across the land.

Just think about it, maaaaaannnnnnn. What % of games is set in one of the following:

1. Tolkienesque fantasy
2. Post-nuclear war or post zombie epidemic apocalypse
3. World War 2
4. Some variation of present times
5. Some bland sci-fi futuristic setting

90%? 85%?

So to answer your question, there could be a billion cool settings developers could use.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Elder Scrolls IV: Cyrodiil

Building on the success of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, TES IV: Cyrodiil will ameliorate its weaknesses while retaining, and perhaps even improving, its strengths:
  • Dungeons will be larger and more complex generally, with a greater number on the scale of Arkngthand or Kogoruhn
  • A vast quantity of unique dialogue, especially for important NPCs, and no voice-acting in dialogue mode
  • More quests will have alternative outcomes, with story-based C&C
  • The setting will be the Imperial City and a limited section of the Imperial Province around it, allowing for a reasonable scale (architecture: Roman, Romanesque, Byzantine, Gothic)
  • 3 political factions will be joinable and offer a large number of quests, while not being particularly suited to any one character type
  • Aside from the political factions, there will be the Imperial Legion, Imperial Cult, Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, and Dark Brotherhood as joinable factions
  • The main quest will follow directly from the resolution to the main quest of Morrowind, will actually make sense, and will possess a substantial degree of non-linearity
  • The system of character progression/customization will be expanded and improved
  • Even less creature/item leveling than existed in Morrowind
  • More logistics, to enhance exploration
  • Some improvements to the combat system, without making it action-based
  • Stealth will be considerably improved by modelling it on the Thief games, with more interesting quests for the stealth-based factions/guilds than existed in Morrowind
  • As in Morrowind, there will be no minigames, no quest compass, at least 27 skills, an interface designed for computers, statistics-based combat, etc.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
A pixel-art survival horror game set in gritty 90s Poland that allows you to switch between 8 different camera angles (from isometric to 3rd person) on the spot.

How oddly specific. (Make sure to check out both videos as they showcase different gameplay-aspects.)

Lemming42

Arcane
- A reimagining of 1994's Menzoberranzan. The plot is one of the few I've ever enjoyed in Forgotten Realms and the atmosphere is truly incredible, but the combat and dungeon design were very middling. Similar reimaginings of the Ravenloft games would be cool too.

- A big AAA cRPG set in the Heretic/Hexen universe.

- A proper Star Trek game that's not a point and click adventure, and is also not boring as fuck or a shitty action game with a Star Trek skin.

- Elder Scrolls games continuing on in the style of Daggerfall; could be a different universe to the one created in MW/Oblivion/Skyrim to preserve Arena/DF/Battlespire's eerie surreal tone, and then the two incarnations of the franchise wouldn't have to compete with each other. I'd like a little bit more structure and flow to guild questlines but otherwise Daggerfall's general model should be reused and expanded upon. They should build on the world sim aspects too - like, build on Daggerfall's political faction system by having them move around the map like Mount & Blade and do all kinds of cool unexpected things independent of the player.

- A game where you're an old woman in a low-fantasy medieval setting who brews potions. This came to me in a dream or something. You can create medicine to help people but you can also create poisons and magical effects, and there'll be all kinds of moral dilemma scenarios where it's not clear what you should do, if you should help people commit murder or poison your own customers to stop them from doing evil, and things like that. You also have to ward off suspicion of being a witch, or choose to poison anyone who might suspect you. Maybe the villagers will go about their business like Pathologic and you can intervene in their lives in various ways, for better or worse.

- A new studio doing a complete re-attempt of Mass Effect, and not as a shitty cover shooter like the originals are. Mass Effect is really annoying because I basically hate the games, but they feel like an extraordinary case of wasted potential, and I reckon the setting deserves another chance.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
As the title suggests, name a few settings that you'd wish to be made into games, but is unlikely they would be made.

It could be an existing game but in a different genre, movies/TV series, or even a book.

I'll include a few images for a few, just to give a basic visualization, a rough conceptual idea of how I imagine them.

Since I'm not an artist, I've manipulated some assets, so don't focus too much on the stolen shit. The purpose is to give an idea.

Lopan's Gate: A Big Trouble in Little China RPG

BTILC1.png
BTILC2.png

I always wanted a BTILC game to exist, and no, the side-scrolling beat 'em up designed by Mev Dinc and published by Electric Dreams Software in 1986 for the Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64I was not enough.

A LoG format would be a matching fit here, although an isometric RPG would suffice too. The images are depicting the events of the movie, but why stay in little China and not send Jack and his team to big China?

Lopan has been resurrected and summoned many Chinese abominations, so you'll need to cut the evil from the root, once and for all.

Jungles, temples, villages, and urban exploration all wrapped in an immersive package. Something like Prince of Qin on steroids but within a contemporary setting.
In the Current Year, niche and/or cult-favorite films have a better chance of success if they're integrated into other games with more generic gameplay (yes, that means licensing).

Example: Dead by Daylight, the survival horror game that pits four survivors against a killer. The game has been enjoying incredible success by adding licensed killers to its roster of stalkers (latest addition: The doll from 'Child's Play') - as well as licensed characters as survivors (like Nicolas Cage).

Compare that to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre-game released this summer. Anyone remember that? What about the Friday the 13th-game released a few years back? How's that faring? They're too specialized, they won't survive.

And yes - I bring up DBD because Lo Pan and Jack Burton could pop up in Dead By Daylight someday - you never know...

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Similar reimaginings of the Ravenloft games would be cool too
Never played Menzoberranzan but a re-imagining of Ravenloft games could be interesting, especially for stone prophet.

Hexen/Heretic cRPG also sounds cool.

Morrowind, the same creative direction, but made by the guys who did Gothic at the time.

Another TES game like the above, but in one of the other interesting regions like Argonia.

Ultima VII with engaging tactical combat.

Victoria 2 with smart AI and more fleshed out diplomacy, logistics, internal politics (this would destroy my life).

Arcanum but finished (already mentioned), with multilayered, non-linear dungeons. Also more games in the V:tM universe with the quality of Bloodlines, only finished.

JA2 with real squad base tactics and the appropriate scenarios to make it feasible.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I just want to see more quality games being based on already established games/engines, like for example The Black Parade.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
A finished Rise of the Reds with a good, long campaign for each faction and toned down RA2 homages.
There's nothing wrong with paying homage to a good game, but if it decides to have a proper campaign, it runs the risk of devouring the whole game.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

I think it exists...

In the latest build they added also the possibility to swich from isometric/3rd p. to 1st p.

edit: I missed the previous post.

Zlaja

Arcane
European Liberation Front

A hard boiled FPS where you take control of a member of a newly formed terrorist freedom fighter group who's goal is to destroy all enemies of European nations and its peoples.

You embark on a wide variety of missions ranging from assasinations of treasonous politicians/journalists, destruction of deep state sheenanigens, hunting down human smuggling groups, shooting up migrant gangs and islamists, and paying a visit to higher ups of multi-national corps responsible for "diversity" in entertainment media.

Depending on how loosely you’re using the term RPG, now that Microsoft owns both Hexen and Raven Software, a Hexen “RPG” probably isn’t all that unlikely. At the least there’s no way Raven isn’t making a new Hexen game.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
An updated remastered version of UFO: Terror from the Deep. Not Firaxis nu-COM, mind. Keep the gameplay similar but make it more "underwater-y". Add depth pressure, light conditions, microcurrents and all that shit. Make it scary to investigate a wreck.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I would like a 3d monster catching game where your monsters were your mode of transportation and exploration. Think BOTW in terms of a big open world but have birds give you a glide ability or moles able to dig deeper into caves. You would have environmental survival (need a way to stay warm in the snow, not collecting food) and this could be making warm clothing, holding a warming lantern or a firemon kept close to keep you warm.

I would also like a good Digimon game since almost all of them suck absolute dick in various game-ruining ways. Including the good ones like Cyber Sleuth (words words words) and Dawn/Dusk (fuck those empty maze dungeons)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom