Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imaginary games that you'd like to play but they will never exist

KafkaBot

Scholar
Planescape: Torment with a good combat system.

A Thief-esque stealth game that takes place during the Edo period.

Wizardry 8 with a rich, deep story.

A Vampire: The Masquerade game that is as good as Bloodlines and doesn't take place in the US or in Europe.

A good Commandos-esque game that takes place in a cyberpunk setting. Imagine Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, but it takes place in the Shadowrun universe. This one coule feasibly exist, but MiMiMi just died and it will probably be a long time until someone picks up the mantle.

A Deus Ex-esque RPG that takes place in the Nasuverse (with the player being a Magus, preferably).

Alien: Isolation, but it takes place in an original setting and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Horror adventure game with stats in a Lovecraftian setting with sanity mechanics and massive amounts of C&C. Think Amnesia + Eternal Darkness + Stasis: Bone Totem + C&C. Scarlet Hollow is probably the closest thing to this out there, but it doesn't have sanity mechanics and isn't really Lovecraftian.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
A game where you start from nothing and, through shrewdness, intelligence, diplomacy, and talent, become a titan of industry.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
An updated remastered version of UFO: Terror from the Deep. Not Firaxis nu-COM, mind. Keep the gameplay similar but make it more "underwater-y". Add depth pressure, light conditions, microcurrents and all that shit. Make it scary to investigate a wreck.
Great suggestions, light and depth pressure management would add further tension and risk.

Say that your current suit is made to handle up to 500 meters of depth and you spot an interesting area a few meters further below.

If the area is clear, it could be manageable for your suit to handle the pressure for a few turns, but if you get ambushed there's a chance that you will not have enough time to make it back, so your faggly suit will become your coffin.
You should've been more patient nigga, try to research a better suit.

Of course lack of light will affect accuracy and also increase your stress meter, making things even harder.

But yeah, making the gameplay more underwater-y and scary is the basic idea.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My perfect game would be a expanded Elder Scroll like game.

From beginning I would like a complex character system with attributes, skills, traits, perks and choice of background. Your character race, gender and background would have a major impact on how many react to you. Attributes would be very important not only in combat but in dialogs and interactions with environment. There should be a wide variety of skills to allow wide variety of builds. Magic spells would have multiple uses outside combat like talking to the dead, teleportation and levitation that would allow easy access to hard to reach areas or bypassing walls or doors, magic could be used in dialogs, etc.

World would be large with multiple factions, that arent idle but will fight with each other, conquer towns and cities, expand their influence over areas. Bandits and evil creatures will grow in power if left alone and become expanding threat, destroying settlements, farms, mines and cutting off roads. Game would feature reputation system that tracks separate reputation for all factions, regions and settlements, you can be beloved in a small town but hated in the same region. You can take control of a settlement and help it grow into a major city, organize and lead a army and conquer entire continent, help someone else become the emperor, stoke the flames of war and watch as entire world burns or just stay by sidelines and live your life as a adventurer.

Side quests would have multiple solutions and the way you solve them would influence your reputation and quests being offered in the future. If you do quests as someone who is lawfully good not many people will approach you with evil propositions. Factions would be mutually exclusive although you would have a chance to betray and switch sides.

Main quest should not have a sense of urgency or be about battling some ancient powerful evil.

The world itself would be logically designed with cities, villages, farms, mines, forts and road networks connecting all of that. Economy would not exist in vacuum but will depend of the state of the world as destruction of farms or mines can destabilize prices of goods and bring into shortage of food or goods. Bandits wont have a base near a road but hidden in forests or mountains and if destroyed would make that area safe for a certain period of time.

There would be multiple biomes with unique creatures and fauna, from deserts to high mountains to deep undercover caves to oceans with long lost underwater civilizations. The game would also have a survival elements where heat and cold, hunger, thirst and sleep must be managed. As such a long travel must be planned with clothing, food and water.

The Decline

Arcane
a0008267651-10.jpg

This as either a Capcom CPS2 style beat em up or as a blobber dungeon crawler.

I'd always thought a LOTR RPG styled like Betrayal at Krondor would be great. But instead the LOTR games we got were action RPGs. And if they made them today we'd get black Aragorn and Chinese Gandalf.

I would've also loved to see a 2.5D remaster of Tyrian.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I always thought a sequel to L.A. Noire would be pretty awesome. Cole Phelps gets back together with his wife, and then goes back to work as a detective, and maybe the player can pick a night job for him. Bartender? Cab driver? Used car salesman? They could do it with the assets they have now! There'd be some twist like Cole is a murderer himself, like some Japanese move into his precinct and he freaks out on them, then you play the game in reverse with Cole trying to avoid arrest.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I always thought a sequel to L.A. Noire would be pretty awesome. Cole Phelps gets back together with his wife, and then goes back to work as a detective, and maybe the player can pick a night job for him. Bartender? Cab driver? Used car salesman? They could do it with the assets they have now! There'd be some twist like Cole is a murderer himself, like some Japanese move into his precinct and he freaks out on them, then you play the game in reverse with Cole trying to avoid arrest.
You know Cole Phelps dies at the end of LA Noire, right?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
You know Cole Phelps dies at the end of LA Noire, right?
But it would kind of fit the story, right? He talks to folks everywhere and they say "Hey, I thought you died..." and he explains to them that no, he was washed away and he can't remember what happened. Then over the coarse of the game through a series of - yes, you guessed it - flashbacks that mirror the original story, they tell the story of what happened. So, he may have a flashback of getting out of the sewer, a flashback of him getting a job as an elementary teacher, ending up with a bunch of flashbacks of him failing cases or asking bad questions kinda like my game went. Then he stops what he is doing and proclaims "Hey, I'm a cop!"

Then a spinning newspaper with the headline "Hero cop found alive!" shows up on screen. Then everything is nice and back to normal.

Also another interesting quest would be him finding out Elsa was murdered (that jazz singer) and then tracing it back to his wife. Then, when he starts questioning his wife, they have a huge argument, and she throws him out of the house - this time for good. Then you have a dating game similar to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

goregasm

Scholar
A big production version of Shadowrun for Sega Genesis. Don't fuck it up. Keep the same formula, just make more of it, with more random encounters, runs, and the almighty grind.

Project Zomboid getting a legitimate release.

Something like Vagrus having something like battle brothers combat. Send in the slaves.

More fairly historically accurate early to high middle ages rpgs like KCD. One set a generation after the anglo saxon "Migration" to England would interest me immensely. Something like KCD but with larger battles ala bannerlord/warband, or otherwise gang fights depending on the era.

Hagashager

Educated
I would like to see an Elder Scrolls style, open-world RPG, but truncated down to the Gameboy. We're talking Morrowind in the Pokémon Yellow or Link's Awakening engines. I think it would be a really novel demake.

A Stardew Valley style Cozy-Cottage-Core game set in a fantasy world where your class determines the cozy hamlet you make. Warrior builds a farm, mage builds a tower, thief builds a tavern, cleric makes an Abbey, etc.

Lastly, an Elite Dangerous Space Exploration game that tries, in earnest, to tackle Time Dilation.

Üstad

Arcane
WW1.5 FPS with janky interwar weapons and tanks.

Commandos clone for WW1 western front, taking trenches with infiltration tactics without anything ninjaesque stuff.

Warhammer Total War games with Medieval Total War / Rome Total War approach, no building limits, no stupid garrison buildings, seperating units from commanders etc.

An RPG set in pre-Ghengisid Silk Road setting, or atleast properly inspired by it, wouldnt mind it being low fantasy.

Populous the Beginning style god game with more features and without god awful controls.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
A grand strategy game set in the same era as Victoria 2/3 with cutthroat diplomacy, deeper economy management, better war mechanics, and the ability to play a family rather than a country. I'd like my economic decisions to be the catalyst for the 1929 economic crash and ensuing depression.

El Presidente

Arcane
Thief the Dark Project meets Oddworld meets Far Cry Primal. A very atmospheric, very tense first person stealth game set on a hostile alien world with low magic in the form of shamanism/nature magic like Druid stuff. Not open world though, big, cool and handcrafted levels like Thief.

I dream about this game for 20 years.

Eisen

Learned
Eye of the Beholder but with free look and one character like Ultima Underworld

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Just think about it, maaaaaannnnnnn. What % of games is set in one of the following:

1. Tolkienesque fantasy
2. Post-nuclear war or post zombie epidemic apocalypse
3. World War 2
4. Some variation of present times
5. Some bland sci-fi futuristic setting

90%? 85%?

So to answer your question, there could be a billion cool settings developers could use.
There’s loads of forgotten ttrpg settings that could be great for video games. Particularly in crpgs, which are 99% tolkienesque fantasy.

Reinhardt

Arcane
A good horror RPG in an urban setting. I just want something that is not fucking medieval, fantasy, cyberpunk or post-apocalyptic shit.
yeah, there are so many good horror rpgs in other settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom