Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Immortal Defense

Korgan

Arbiter
Kicks ass. A wonderful art-game with a cynical and subversive story. And you pretty much get to play as a Chaos God from 40k, warpstorms and all. I'm ashamed of stealing it.
Also yeah, when I saw the protagonist's daughter looking up into the sky, I thought "Yeah, it's gonna end up like in Gunbuster, she'll grow up and kick ass". Man, was my heart shattered.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Korgan said:
Kicks ass. A wonderful art-game with a cynical and subversive story. And you pretty much get to play as a Chaos God from 40k, warpstorms and all. I'm ashamed of stealing it.
Also yeah, when I saw the protagonist's daughter looking up into the sky, I thought "Yeah, it's gonna end up like in Gunbuster, she'll grow up and kick ass". Man, was my heart shattered.

Let me show you how to properly make a thread like this.

It's a Tower Defense game.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQxtnKHXf3Y

Screenshot:
1183243226-1.png

Can be bought for $1.75 or more if you wish ("name your price" model).

I hope you learned something today.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
GarfunkeL said:
It's a really great gamer. Basically tower defence but it's worth it just for the story and the gameplay is quite engaging as well.

Is it 3D? It looks 3D. And I cant see shit on those screenshots. Does it look better/cleaner in action or what?

Korgan

Arbiter

Lightknight

Liturgist
I have no idea why people even dare to play this, and it just boggles the mind that someone actually praised it without being sarcastic.

rinkuhero

Novice
@korgan - not that i know of, although the artist who drew the cutscenes is an anime fan; he's a fan of the older anime though (80s), not modern anime, which he hates. so i imagine it could possibly have been inspired by some 80s anime imagery. i could ask him next time he's online, but he isn't online much anymore.

@lightknight - have you tried it? if you have any specific ways to improve it i'd love to improve it. but it actually has never gotten a negative review anywhere it's been reviewed, only universally positive: http://studioeres.com/immortal/press -- you can read the list of reviews there. or the review quotes on the front page:

"The brief text sequences between levels carries the story--to fight in "pathspace," you have foregone your body and normal existence, and the concerns of the people who are sworn to defend seem increasingly irrelevant to you, in this very different existence. I typically think this kind of backstory is irrelevant (and often poorly written), but here it's almost haunting--nicely done." - Greg Costikyan

"I’m not proposing the game would be better in the first person, Thornton clearly intended me to have these intense moments of reflection while playing. But at the same time, I’m not sure what to make of a game that induces them by blasting me out of the experience. Should a video game ever do this? I don’t really know." - Popmatters.com

"Immortal Defense is only a game, but it touches many quite serious subjects - like protecting the family, barrier between gratitude and worship, limits of responsibility, loneliness, memory and love. Actually the game seems like a stylish metaphor of human life, gameplay aside." - Thomas Grochowiak, independent game developer, designer at Codeminion

"I think this was maybe the second game where a specific piece of text haunted me late, after completion. "What can change the nature of a man?" was the first - if you know what game that's from, you'll like Immortal Defense." - Play This Thing

"Immortal Defense is a very well designed game that is easy to control and has a lot of replay value because of the freedom granted to the user. The limited suite of points you have to choose from means you have to (gasp!) think about your placement and how your points will work together to destroy the enemies." - Out of Eight PC Game Reviews

"In it, you play as a guy warped into some weird ethereal world in which you make towers that blow shit up out of your emotions." - TIGSource.com

"This is a game that will force you stop. It will force you think about the world around you, your very mortality and the price you would pay to become immortal. It will LIE to you on a level that Portal never would have dared to go. And you know what the worst part is? You will KNOW it’s lying to you. You will know it is all a lie but you will not want to believe it. Even as it becomes clearer and clearer – even as the inevitable comes right into your sight and starts to strangle your very mind, you will refuse to believe it." - The Angry Pixel

that said there are probably people who have played the demo and didn't like it, i just haven't come across anyone who has played it to the end and didn't like it. it's not for everyone, but it's definitely a game that many people have enjoyed.

probably the best praise i've gotten for the game was from someone in the game's forums, who told me it was the first game that made them feel any kind of emotion for the characters. which i take no credit for, since i didn't write the story (my friend wynand wrote it). i actually think its best parts are the writing and music -- the visuals and programming, which i did, are of course not professional since the game had a $0 budget and i'm something of a beginner. but the music and writing were both done by professionals.

the most controversial part is probably that my visual style is very oblique / experimental, it's kind of 'messy' and can sometimes confuse the player -- if you don't know what's going on on the screen though, that comes with time. but it's a value choice: i think it's more important to provide a unique visual experience than something technically impressive with hi-poly models or even something clear and generic. some people like that, some don't. but there is a segment of the audience who likes it, and a pretty sizeable segment, considering it's had thousands of sales.

Korgan

Arbiter
rinkuhero said:
@korgan - not that i know of, although the artist who drew the cutscenes is an anime fan; he's a fan of the older anime though (80s), not modern anime, which he hates. so i imagine it could possibly have been inspired by some 80s anime imagery. i could ask him next time he's online, but he isn't online much anymore.
I see. Also, weren't you inspired by some psychedelic/dissociative drugs? C'mon, be honest with us. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom