Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Immortal NPCs and no child killing in Fallout 3

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Ausir said:
If Yahtzee is a FO fan he will criticize it for something that morons will care about stopping them from buying the game, which we aren't able to do. We might have great and logical arguments, but there is no way in hell you can get masses to care for them.

You do realize Yahtzee hates RPGs?
Not only that, he's a fan of shooters... *sigh* ... of course there is nothing bad about that but we are taking about FO3.

Mareus

Magister
Lothers said:
So what? Modders will fix everything. I belive that "Real Fallout Mod with Chrysalis Higwayman, Killable Children, Not-So-Orky-Looking Supermutants, No-Mindless-Zombie Ghouls, Random Encounters & Missing Perks" is just a matter of time...

Well the last I heard the FO3 construction set won't come with the game, so it may as well result in poor modding support. They probably want to earn more money by selling their own mods for a while. Anyway, mods can do a lot, but they can't fix everything. Oblivion with 16 GB of mods was still just an averege game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DarkUnderlord said:
In regards to essential NPCs, it works like Oblivion, in that when they "die" they get knocked "unconscious" and get up a little while later. It worked well in Oblivion, so we kept that system, as you can still attack everyone that you want, and get at least a small benefit (being able to avoid them while they are down).

NO

Herbert West

Arbiter
I remember one mission in Call of Duty 1, where the player had a teammate- a badass english officer with huge moustache. He was god- when he got hit by something like panzerfaust or mortar round he just used to fall and get right up after a second. The mission didn't really work but there were lulz aplenty.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
That was Captain Price you heretic, not some random english officer :evil:

Shoelip

Arbiter
The invincible, immortal Captain Price...

I wonder if Dogmeat will still end up being killable.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Captain Price was cool, and that was a shooter. And it was a different situation. Because you didn't try to kill him in the game. In Fallout 3, people whom *you* try to kill are immortal too. WHAT THE FUCK. It was already sooo annoying in Oblivion. If you implement immortal NPCs, at least make the player unable to attack them at all. It's sooooo retarded when I whack my giant warhammer against that bitch's face and she just FALLS UNCONSCIOUS OVER AND OVER AGAIN and I can't even loot her or something.

Mareus

Magister
JarlFrank said:
Captain Price was cool, and that was a shooter. And it was a different situation. Because you didn't try to kill him in the game. In Fallout 3, people whom *you* try to kill are immortal too. WHAT THE FUCK. It was already sooo annoying in Oblivion. If you implement immortal NPCs, at least make the player unable to attack them at all. It's sooooo retarded when I whack my giant warhammer against that bitch's face and she just FALLS UNCONSCIOUS OVER AND OVER AGAIN and I can't even loot her or something.

Well you can hit her countless times, so I guess that counts for something and she wont try to run away like in real life. Hmm.. me thinks Todd is a sexually perverted sadist.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
So No collision is better than no impact?

Jormungandr

Liturgist
Lothers said:
So what? Modders will fix everything.

Unfortunately, it's the modders who have inadvertently fucked us all. Since Morrowind and all the cool things that the modders have done with teh CS, the jerks at bethesda know full well that they can make whatever game they want--and if someone doesn't like it, they can just mod it. And who is going to go through the trouble of modding: the casual shootemup fans who wouldn't know how to mod themselves out of a paper bag, or the hardcore fans just rabid for a decent comeback of their series? So they'll make the game for the idiots and let you guys mod it to your satisfaction.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Mareus said:
Lothers said:
So what? Modders will fix everything. I belive that "Real Fallout Mod with Chrysalis Higwayman, Killable Children, Not-So-Orky-Looking Supermutants, No-Mindless-Zombie Ghouls, Random Encounters & Missing Perks" is just a matter of time...

Well the last I heard the FO3 construction set won't come with the game, so it may as well result in poor modding support. They probably want to earn more money by selling their own mods for a while. Anyway, mods can do a lot, but they can't fix everything. Oblivion with 16 GB of mods was still just an averege game.
Probably woul dhave to gut it like the Oblivion one of all the 3rd part support and crap.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
Price was the bloke from CoD 4 . I was saying about Call of Duty 1. Unless of course that one was also named Price.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Herbert West said:
Darth Roxor said:
Price was the bloke from CoD 4 . I was saying about Call of Duty 1. Unless of course that one was also named Price.
Yes, he was (...and he also looked the same).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Ahzaruuk said:
So No collision is better than no impact?

You do know that they could solve it by just making your character refuse to swing his sword when aiming at a quest-giving character or a child, don't you? It would still be retarded, but not as completely as "LULZ I GIVE HIM HEADSHOTS BUT HE JUST STANDS UP AGAIN"

Thrasher

Erudite
Child killing was actually a side effect of tactics you could employ to solve some quests without getting a faction pissed off at you.

I'm talking FO2 here.

That' s really evil roleplaying.

Bethesda's idea of evil is faaaarting.

MisterStone

Arcane
Forget killable kids and other unkillable NPCs. Will Fallout 3 have explosives? As in, the TnT and c40 packs from the earlier games? I am concerned that at some point some fuckhead is going to appear in an interview saying, "NO CAN DO, EKSPLOSIVS R TEH TERRORIZM!"

I will never forget when I discovered that you could plant a TnT bomb on someone and have it blow them into a fine red paste in FO2...IIRC

It is already confirmed that there are explosives...

just grab some car in Fallout 3 with strength 10 and throw it at your enemy hulk-like. :kaboom:

Thrasher

Erudite
It's hard to reverse steal a car, and plant it in someone's pocket, but maybe not....

Shoelip

Arbiter
Hm, if you actually could lift cars and throw them that would be cool.

WhiskeyWolf said:
Herbert West said:
Darth Roxor said:

The invincible, immortal Captain Price.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Shoelip said:
Hm, if you actually could lift cars and throw them that would be cool.

WhiskeyWolf said:
Herbert West said:
Darth Roxor said:

The invincible, immortal Captain Price.
Fuck YEAH!

Chefe

Erudite
Decline of the Codex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom