Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Implementation of good and evil paths in RPGs

Shemar

Educated
Leimrey said:
What's wrong with being evil for the sake of being evil if you really enjoy it? Because that's a very common motivator for evil characters used in rpgs. These characters do evil stuff because they enjoy it. Sure, that motivator is pretty cliche and overused, but it is also fairly realistic. For example, the infamous Rostov Ripper experienced sexual pleasure (orgasm) during the act of killing as he plunged his knife into his victims (he was impotent and could not experience it in any other way).

No, it is not realistic at all. The evil characters you describe are loners. They could never attract followers, make reliable allies/henchmen or be part of any greater threat than one or two individual lunatics secretly killing people, so they would make horrible adversaries for most RPGs.

Indeed it is very common in RPGs. That does not make it either realistic or good writing. Probably the opposite. Not to mention that these characters are usually the lamest and less thought out characters in RPGs.

Also you are looking at this from the wrong side. Even these characters are not evil for the sake of evil. They just happen to like something that is evil. The sequence is Motivation-> Action -> Characterization of the action (alignemt) not Alignment -> Action. Nobody 'decides' to be evil.

Leimrey

Educated
Nobody 'decides' to be evil.

Well, yeah, I never implied such an implication. I specifically wrote that the "Evil" allignment tag is attached to the character as a result of his behaviour. Also, I think that you're complaining about a problem that doesn't exist, because no one goes the "Alignment -> Action" route specifically. Even the most shallow of rpg villains have some sort of emotional/material motivator driving their actions.

No, it is not realistic at all. The evil characters you describe are loners. They could never attract followers, make reliable allies/henchmen or be part of any greater threat than one or two individual lunatics secretly killing people,

Why? Why can't a group of people, who enjoy administrating pain and suffering onto others, band together into some sort of cult? I would think that would be pretty possible in a medieval-like setting where methods of crime investigation are pretty simplistic. Also, we should take into account the influence of greater powers. Consider an example where a devoted cleric of some God Of Murder (tm) lures members into joining his cult by providing material rewards. Most of the people who would join such a cult would already have a predisposition for cruelty/sadism. Now they get to excercise their favorite hobby while earning money/receiving free food and shelter.

so they would make horrible adversaries for most RPGs.

Heh, batshit insane characters who are obsessed with inflicting pain and torment tend to have pretty interesting views on the state of things and the world/existence in general, don't you think? Consider the Tzimisce clan from Vtm: B as an example ("Sooner or later, many Tzimisce characters become totally lost in this detached and inhuman way of thinking, often losing all contact with the concepts of mercy, compassion, or moral or ethical value as understood by the human mind").

Shemar

Educated
Leimrey said:
Why? Why can't a group of people, who enjoy administrating pain and suffering onto others, band together into some sort of cult? I would think that would be pretty possible in a medieval-like setting where methods of crime investigation are pretty simplistic. Also, we should take into account the influence of greater powers. Consider an example where a devoted cleric of some God Of Murder (tm) lures members into joining his cult by providing material rewards. Most of the people who would join such a cult would already have a predisposition for cruelty/sadism. Now they get to excercise their favorite hobby while earning money/receiving free food and shelter.
No I don't think so. First of all, even in the best of circumstances you are looking at a small low powered group. Second such bands/cults would tend to break down and scatter the moment they became the hunted and not the hunters. They would definitely not make suicidal attempts to protect their bosses from the PCs. Sure, free food and shelter works, if all you have to do is some strange rituals, I doubt they would stick around if it means their deaths.

Heh, batshit insane characters who are obsessed with inflicting pain and torment tend to have pretty interesting views on the state of things and the world/existence in general, don't you think?
No. As I said above my view is that such characters would find it next to impossible to function in any kind of cooperative capacity with others and therefore generally are useless as adversaries, save the odd necromancer with his army of undead of somesuch.

But an army conquering the world in the name of evil? I don't think so.

Consider the Tzimisce clan from Vtm: B as an example ("Sooner or later, many Tzimisce characters become totally lost in this detached and inhuman way of thinking, often losing all contact with the concepts of mercy, compassion, or moral or ethical value as understood by the human mind").
I have not played Vtm:B nor am I familiar with the setting.

In any case, all of your examples pretty much include somewhat believable motivations so they do not fall into the evil for the sake of evil category I was talking about to begin with. I was referring to settings where 'evil' is not just an abstract idea and a term used to characterise behavior not accepted by the majority, but an actual force. Sure you can always find a few lunatics to follow a cult of death or torture, but the level of threat such cults would present in a believable setting is pretty low. Which is why I find settings based on such conflicts simplistic.

Leimrey

Educated
Shemar said:
As I said above my view is that such characters would find it next to impossible to function in any kind of cooperative capacity with others and therefore generally are useless as adversaries
Relatively powerful characters don't need much "coercive capacity" to begin with. They may gather followers that have some different reasonings (although they would most likely be some different shade of evil) by promises of material rewards or placing them into positions of power.
A Chaotic Evil (which is the closest representative of such type of evil) alignment may be called The Destroyer, but it doesn't mean that such characters aren't capable of forming alliances (atleast temporary and not equally beneficial ones).

But an army conquering the world in the name of evil? I don't think so.
Why the fuck not? It's not necessary for the whole army to consist of sadistics freaks as long as the general got that covered.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Sadists could simply see other sadistic characters as a part of a group of "good guys" that share their tastes and values.

Erzherzog

Magister
Maybe you fail to understand that 'monsters of low inteligence' are not characters?

Unless of course, you're playing Arcanum and you're allowed to make a character that's a monster of low intelligence. How much experience with RPGs do you really have?

curry

Arcane
"Right or wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views." :smug:

Shemar

Educated
Erzherzog said:
Maybe you fail to understand that 'monsters of low inteligence' are not characters?

Unless of course, you're playing Arcanum and you're allowed to make a character that's a monster of low intelligence. How much experience with RPGs do you really have?

Probably more experience than your life's total. So, for the judgement and context impaired,the kind of 'low intelligence' the post refers to does not mean 'stupid human', or 'goblin', it means 'dog' or 'wolf' or 'bear'. The poster specifically mentioned monsters that attack out of instict or because it is their nature. That means that their intelligence is too low to judge their actions as decisions so such monsters could never be PCs.

There are plenty of games that allow you to have animals as part of your adventuring group. That does not make them 'characters'.

Black

Arcane
curry said:
"Right or wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views." :smug:
Don't quote FF8 in Codex Workshop.

Erzherzog

Magister
Shemar said:
Erzherzog said:

Probably more experience than your life's total. So, for the judgement and context impaired,the kind of 'low intelligence' the post refers to does not mean 'stupid human', or 'goblin', it means 'dog' or 'wolf' or 'bear'. The poster specifically mentioned monsters that attack out of instict or because it is their nature. That means that their intelligence is too low to judge their actions as decisions so such monsters could never be PCs.

There are plenty of games that allow you to have animals as part of your adventuring group. That does not make them 'characters'.

You can definitely role play a character that attacks out of instinct, provided you have the proper character build. I don't see why you say otherwise.

And "probably more experience than your life's total" is conveniently vague.

Shemar

Educated
Erzherzog said:
You can definitely role play a character that attacks out of instinct, provided you have the proper character build. I don't see why you say otherwise.
Except that is not even close to what I said. So here is one more try with smaller words:
a. This is a thread about good and evil (paths)
b. If a creature is intelligent enough to make moral (good/evil) decisions then it is a character, but then also attacking another creature is a decision not an insticnt.
c. If a creature is not intelligent enough to make moral decisions and attacks purely out of instinct then it is not a character. Character builds have nothing to do with it.

So unless you mean 'roll play' and not 'role play', no you cannot.

I have been playing and running tabletop RPGs for over 24 years. Clear enough for you?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What about characters with misguided opinions?

Like a 1 int char in Arcanum or Fallout. Who might go all "HURR DIZ GUY HAZ WEPPON HE APPROACH ME HE PROLLY WANTS KILL ME I NAO ATTAX BEFOAR HE KILL ME" when a character with a drawn weapon approaches him in a non-threatening pose, while intelligent characters would see that he's not planning to attack you from his pose and way he holds the weapon.

Such a character could also be convinced by a questgiver that every woman wearing red slippers is evil, therefore he should kill them all to save the world. It wouldn't take much to convince Herpus Derpus the Dimwitted that this is a GREAT CONSPIRACY and they all have to be killed AS SOON AS POSSIBLE or we're all DOOMED!! Also he'd get paid with shiny coins.

Then again, this is entirely different from attacking innocents by instinct, yet I think it does address some of Erzherzog's points.

Erzherzog

Magister
Shemar said:
Erzherzog said:
Except that is not even close to what I said. So here is one more try with smaller words:
a. This is a thread about good and evil (paths)
b. If a creature is intelligent enough to make moral (good/evil) decisions then it is a character, but then also attacking another creature is a decision not an insticnt.
c. If a creature is not intelligent enough to make moral decisions and attacks purely out of instinct then it is not a character. Character builds have nothing to do with it.

So unless you mean 'roll play' and not 'role play', no you cannot.

I have been playing and running tabletop RPGs for over 24 years. Clear enough for you?

At this point, you're just not making sense to me, you seem to arbitrarily define what a character is and is not according to your own beliefs, if so that's fine, just don't expect that everyone must agree with you.

As for the second point, now you've actually identified it, thanks. However I must note that here I'm discussing cRPGs, which are pretty significantly different from tabletop.

Shemar

Educated
JarlFrank said:
Then again, this is entirely different from attacking innocents by instinct, yet I think it does address some of Erzherzog's points.
No it doesn't. My first reply to him was perfectly clear in giving examples. The fact that he STILL has not figured out that animals are not characters is pretty funny.

It is amazing that I have to keep explaining something so simple. The characterization of an act as good/evil implies moral judgement. A wolf attacking because it is hungry or is defending its territory is not evil, even if it attacks 'innocents'. That is an example of attacking because of instinct. A moron that kills innocents because he was told to does not do so out of instinct, simply out of stupidity. The moron is a character, but the wolf is not.

Shemar

Educated
Erzherzog said:
However I must note that here I'm discussing cRPGs, which are pretty significantly different from tabletop.
Really? How? Please explain how the definition of what a character is is different from tabletop to cRPG. Also, just for kicks, give us your definition of a character and where the line betwwen a character and a monster is drawn. While you are at it, also tell us how long you have been playing RPGs. And also, in case you are still wondering, I have been playing cRPGs since 1988 (Pool of Radiance on a C64), so that would make it 23 years.

Erzherzog

Magister
I said that the topic is discussing cRPGs, I don't get why I have define character differently since that's not what I'm even talking about. Perhaps if you weren't so quick with non-constructive comments we'd be more able to understand each other.

Shemar

Educated
That's rich from the person who opened with "How much experience with RPGs do you really have?"

Avarkx

Novice
Semantics argument.

A creature of low sentience like a wolf acts out of instinct without a subjective perceptual experience, while a creature sentient enough to be considered sapient acts by means of decision, regardless of the level of intelligence behind the decision. Shemar is merely arguing that you can't role play a wolf, as a wolf doesn't consider that raw ox tastes better than raw rabbit or that a group of armed adventurers would probably kick its ass, it just hunts or flees instinctively, whereas an inbred elven ranger with Favored Enemy: Goblin still makes a decision to attack a standing army of them alone. The rangers instinct causes his urge to attack, but his intelligence governs an actual decision. Reducing a "character" to less than sapient simultaneously removes the capacity for decision based on the subjective perceptions you would be role playing such a character on.

If you wanna have sapient wolves running around in your game world that can debate philosophy and engage in feng shui, totally your business, but arguing about the "intelligence" of a non-sapient creature is a relatively pointless exercise. A smart dog can roll over on command, a dumb human can decide to roll over on command.

tl;dr: furries lol

Erzherzog

Magister
Shemar said:
That's rich from the person who opened with "How much experience with RPGs do you really have?"

Definitely didn't "open" with "How much experience with RPGs do you have" in any way shape or form. Was definitely meant as an honest question considering that our stances varied very much from each other. Hell, your answer to that question indicated that there was a pretty significant difference, considering that you chose to name tabletop games.

But no, keep using the petty insults you have since the start. It's cute.

SacredPath

Novice
IMO the D&D approach is very solid for CRPGs: alignment simply defines a different route you will take through the game. You can choose "evil" classes and possibly races, equip certain "evil" items, and of course, solve quests the egotistical way. I think this approach is sound for different reasons:

1.) It has you define a starting point. No way your (typically ~20 y.o.) character has never made moral decisions before. Games that let you start off in a completely neutral moral position are doin it rong.

2.) It does improve replayability, to a certain extent. Chances are you won't remember what vaguely good or vaguely evil choices you made half a year before on your first playthrough. Insanely evil and righteously good are two distinct paths, at least.

3.) It afftects not only choices but also stats, the all important aspect of the CRPG. Storytelling in computer game almost never comes close to a good tabletop game anyway, let alone literature (and I include bad literature here). So, apart from the satisfaction of having chosen answer A over answer B, it lets me shape my characters sensibly.

4.) It gives you a framework of choices (assuming that options that would deter too much from your alignment don't even show up). In this it is more realistic than giving you the choice to be rotten evil to person A, then act like a saint a moment later to person B. I think alignment shifts should be possible, but occur only slowly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SacredPath said:
1.) It has you define a starting point. No way your (typically ~20 y.o.) character has never made moral decisions before. Games that let you start off in a completely neutral moral position are doin it rong.

It's not that you start out without any moral position at all. Your character has that moral position that you want him to have. There's no need for assigning an aligment. When the first decision your new character makes is good (or evil), you can basically assume that this is his alignment and his previous actions were of a similar nature.

2.) It does improve replayability, to a certain extent. Chances are you won't remember what vaguely good or vaguely evil choices you made half a year before on your first playthrough. Insanely evil and righteously good are two distinct paths, at least.

Chances are you'll remember good and interesting choices with meaningful consequences that are not stereotypically "good paladin" or "muhahaha bastard" in a better light than choices that are so extremely good/evil that it's almost cartoony.

3.) It afftects not only choices but also stats, the all important aspect of the CRPG. Storytelling in computer game almost never comes close to a good tabletop game anyway, let alone literature (and I include bad literature here). So, apart from the satisfaction of having chosen answer A over answer B, it lets me shape my characters sensibly.

How does it affect stats? Are good paladins stupid because they let themselves be used as deliverymen for common people and refuse rewards? Are evil guys stronger because they beat up people all day? I don't get what you want to say here.

4.) It gives you a framework of choices (assuming that options that would deter too much from your alignment don't even show up). In this it is more realistic than giving you the choice to be rotten evil to person A, then act like a saint a moment later to person B. I think alignment shifts should be possible, but occur only slowly.

Isn't it much better if your character can do anything he wants unless prevented by NPCs/orgnaizations? Why would being evil prevent you from, say, saying something good if it benefits you? If you told a young lady who likes kittens that you like kittens too in order to seduce her, why would being of evil alignment make you unable to say it, if you only say it in order to gain something for yourself? If you have killed kittens before and were seen and rumour has spread, the girl would be able to see through your lie.

Basically: letting the player choose anything he deems fit to reach his goals is good. Making some of these options impossible based on his reputation and his previous actions is better than making them impossible due to a fixed alignment.

SacredPath

Novice
JarlFrank said:
It's not that you start out without any moral position at all. Your character has that moral position that you want him to have. There's no need for assigning an aligment. When the first decision your new character makes is good (or evil), you can basically assume that this is his alignment and his previous actions were of a similar nature.

If that is so, why not "sum up" his previous dispositions by slapping a name on it? Character concepts change, especially if interaction between the character and the world works out differently from what you expected. Let's say you intended your character to be a ruthless thug, however due to skill/ attribute/ equipment choices or plain bad luck you find yourself running from combat more than getting into it. Rather than allowing you to turn it all around by walking the good path from now on, alignment could force you to stay in a certain niche. Which is a good thing IMO, as it is more realistic (as I stated below). Realistic characters who have had a past full of violence and resentment won't learn how to play it nice just like that.

Chances are you'll remember good and interesting choices with meaningful consequences that are not stereotypically "good paladin" or "muhahaha bastard" in a better light than choices that are so extremely good/evil that it's almost cartoony.

I would contest that for two reasons: "good and meaningful" is a bit foggy and you can't seriously expect that high a standard of choices throughout a game. Arcanum didn't have a fixed alignment, and while I love that game to death a lot of things that influenced your morals were minor and forgettable. I only remember certain tiny bits (like giving back the ring in Tarant) because I have replayed that game over and over (ain't gonna happen with your average game).

Secondly, while I was arguing that even cartoonish alignments can be meaningful, it's not like alignments have to be so extreme/ one-dimensional. Again using D&D as an example, both lawful good and chaotic evil tend to work out a bit cartoonishly because they're at the extreme ends of the spectrum, but with the other alignments in between you can create a nice range of choices.

How does it affect stats? Are good paladins stupid because they let themselves be used as deliverymen for common people and refuse rewards? Are evil guys stronger because they beat up people all day? I don't get what you want to say here.

By stats I don't simply mean attributes (though they figure in here somewhere). Equipment is a good vehicle IMO to translate your alignment/ moral choices into stats; think of the Holy Avenger swords in numerous D&D games, as well as evil artifacts, or the Dark Helm in Arcanum. Then there is the famous case of evil characters simply being able to harvest more gold/ items from questgivers. Classes are another matter. Paladins are beefed up fighters, but becoming one may force you to spend points on attributes (like charisma) you wouldn't consider normally. You may covet the powers of a Blackguard, but you'll need to play as evil to become one.

IMO games profit immensly if they manage to translate your moral choices into something more tangible, and that is stats. While it may be a nice twist to do some quests differently than you did them on your last playthrough, it will only be a completely new experience if new races, classes, items, are available this time around.

Isn't it much better if your character can do anything he wants unless prevented by NPCs/orgnaizations? Why would being evil prevent you from, say, saying something good if it benefits you? If you told a young lady who likes kittens that you like kittens too in order to seduce her, why would being of evil alignment make you unable to say it, if you only say it in order to gain something for yourself? If you have killed kittens before and were seen and rumour has spread, the girl would be able to see through your lie.

Basically: letting the player choose anything he deems fit to reach his goals is good. Making some of these options impossible based on his reputation and his previous actions is better than making them impossible due to a fixed alignment.

The behaviour you describe is simply that of an opportunist.

I'm not a D&D advocate, but here goes: in D&D terms, such behavior would be expected mostly from a neutral evil (self-serving) or chaotic neutral (erratic) character (that is, assuming that lying to seduce a girl is considered evil). Would a chaotic evil half-orc of low intelligence try to make up elaborate lies to seduce a girl? No, he'd probably just rape her.

And I think we're touching on the issue of realism again. I think you would agree with me that there is quite a number of people who aren't opportunists; wether they are too idealistic, too dogmatic, too dumb, or too lazy to be opportunists doesn't matter. If a character has always acted "good" and "lawful" in his life up to now, because it just felt right to him and whatever outside influences factor in here, and if he then swore an oath to become a paladin, there's no reason to assume he would start killing, lying and stealing all of a sudden. Of course, it could be debated wether the player should still be allowed to act like an erratic fuck, but I think if you look at all these factors it works out in favor of alignments. Maybe not fixed alignments, but at least a scale as in Arcanum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom