Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie game of the year at Game Tunnel

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Nedrah, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    Indie-centric News/Review site <A HREF="http://gametunnel.com/">Gametunnel</a> is running a <A HREF="http://gametunnel.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1137">Game of the year contest.</a>

Entries include Geneforge 4, Depths of Peril and Aveyond 2, but exclude Eschalon: Book 1 (and probably others). I realize they can't include every game released, but including Aveyond when Basilisks game has to stay out in the cold still looks a little arbitrary to me.

Should you decide to register an account at Gametunnel, you can cast your vote on your best indie of 2007, too. They will run a feature called "RPG Game of the Year" which is based on this poll on December, 26th.

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://rpgwatch.com/">RpgWatch</A>

^ Top  
  2. dagorkan Arbiter

dagorkan
    Finally a worthwhile poll.

^ Top  
  3. dagorkan Arbiter

dagorkan
    What is Aveyond anyway? I've heard a lot about it but can't remember if I ever checked it out. I think I must have but the name sounds like that of some kind of gay JRPG.

^ Top  
  4. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any questions?

^ Top  
  5. rpgcodexusername Arcane

rpgcodexusername
    correctamundo it IS gay and it IS ajRPG

^ Top  
  6. dagorkan Arbiter

dagorkan
    Why isn't UFO:ET on there?

^ Top  
  7. Shagnak Shagadelic

Shagnak
    Or Nethergate:Resurrection.
    Also...

^ Top  
  8. Zyrxil Scholar

Zyrxil
    Ah, Aquaria's on there. If it wasn't released just two days ago, I would think that would win hands down.

^ Top  
  9. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    For a list of indie games is quite impressive. But the ambition and design philosophy of AoD will aim high above anything on that list.

^ Top  
  10. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy

Yes. Why????

I would have normally chosen to use a facepalm picture in response to such result... just let's hope it won't launch a trend in indie games. Anyway, JRPG clones aren't anything new in the indie scenario, but that poll already sucks Codex-wise because of the current results. The JRPG fanboys must have flooded it, so I guess it's time for the Hivemind to put its opinion there too.

^ Top  
  11. Au naturel Scholar

Au naturel
    I won't bother doing anything except write them a dirty email. So many games not included, its pathetic.

^ Top  
  12. Sovy Kurosei Erudite

Sovy Kurosei
    Aveyond II looks like it was made in RPG Maker XP.

What makes a game indie exactly? Shoestring budget? Amateur production values?

^ Top  
  13. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    Indie RPG is 'by gamers for gamers' :p

^ Top  
  14. Shagnak Shagadelic

Shagnak
    I think it was made using something like that. Criticisms about that have been answered with assertions that they've used their own original art assets etc etc.

^ Top  
  15. Seboss Scholar

Seboss
    Best indie game of the year is Aquaria, hands down.

^ Top  
  16. dagorkan Arbiter

dagorkan
    More like 'by retarded adults' for 'retarded adults'.

^ Top  
  17. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Too bad it reqires registration, otherwise I'd vote for GF4.
    Besides, it appears to be overrun by Japanese, so I'm even less motivated to give them my spam-mail address.

^ Top  
  18. dagorkan Arbiter

dagorkan
    Explains all.

Can't say I'm surprised and I hate saying this but Japanese pop 'culture' is exactly what creates this kind of adult infantilization.

^ Top  
  19. Sir_Brennus Scholar

Sir_Brennus
    Not to spoil your goody ol' hardcore gamers whining, but really ....

I am not very much into that Anime stuff or JRPGs in general, but Aveyond is the only game in that list that I could even consider voting for. I mean, Jeff Vogel's games? It's not about them looking butt ugly - that's not the point, but even for me, an experienced roleplayer his games are no fun to play.

Aveyond seems to build on what JRPGs do considerably better than most western RPGs: They tell stories - not just plot.

Like every television writer learns very early in his career: People are interested in the relations of characters, their emotions, like say love, hate and so on.

Have you ever watched a teenage girl play a modern Zelda game? They laugh and cry wholeheartly, because these games do *touch* them.

I only played Exile 1 and Blades of Exile for a while, but there was simply nothing that got hold of my heart, so to speak - it didn't spark any interest. They may be well constructed, non-linear games with interesting gameplay points (and social issues, I was told), but was it *about* something?

As much as most of you hate the newer Final Fantasy games, the were *about* something that basically is part of that what makes us human: feelings.

Conclusion: I'd like to have more games being "emo". It didn't do PS:T, MotB or VtM:Redemption any harm.

^ Top  
  20. TheLostOne Savant

TheLostOne
    I'm sure this was written innocently, but it gives off super strong voyeuristic vibes.

... and I like it.

^ Top  
  21. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Checked the screenshots, Aveyond 2 looks amazing. Queer as fuck, but damn.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Shagnak Shagadelic

Shagnak
    I suggest you buy it and tell us all about it.

Also: 2 votes for Generforge 4 vs 54 for Aveyond 2? Yegads. A lot of people want to get "touched" I guess. Including Brennus you big ol' cuddly snag, you.

^ Top  
  23. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Brennus sounded like a total fag in his post. And I won't spend money for gay things*.

*excluding everything

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Someone who cares ought to tell them about Eschalon.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.