Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie game of the year at Game Tunnel

Nedrah

Erudite
Indie-centric News/Review site <A HREF="http://gametunnel.com/">Gametunnel</a> is running a <A HREF="http://gametunnel.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1137">Game of the year contest.</a>

Entries include Geneforge 4, Depths of Peril and Aveyond 2, but exclude Eschalon: Book 1 (and probably others). I realize they can't include every game released, but including Aveyond when Basilisks game has to stay out in the cold still looks a little arbitrary to me.

Should you decide to register an account at Gametunnel, you can cast your vote on your best indie of 2007, too. They will run a feature called "RPG Game of the Year" which is based on this poll on December, 26th.

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://rpgwatch.com/">RpgWatch</A>

dagorkan

Arbiter
What is Aveyond anyway? I've heard a lot about it but can't remember if I ever checked it out. I think I must have but the name sounds like that of some kind of gay JRPG.

Nedrah

Erudite
AveyondII-Logo-1.png

ssAveyond2-5.png

Any questions?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Or Nethergate:Resurrection.
Also...

baby arm said:
Just noticed that Armageddon Empires is not there. Or UFO: ET. Or AGEOD's American Civil War. Or Combat Mission: Shock Force. Surely those had some decent attention in the indie scene. Maybe they're not cute enough for the GT crowd.

Zyrxil

Scholar
Ah, Aquaria's on there. If it wasn't released just two days ago, I would think that would win hands down.

elander_

Arbiter
For a list of indie games is quite impressive. But the ambition and design philosophy of AoD will aim high above anything on that list.

Cassidy

Arcane
Nedrah said:
AveyondII-Logo-1.png

ssAveyond2-5.png

Any questions?

Yes. Why????

Aveyond 2 - 16%

I would have normally chosen to use a facepalm picture in response to such result... just let's hope it won't launch a trend in indie games. Anyway, JRPG clones aren't anything new in the indie scenario, but that poll already sucks Codex-wise because of the current results. The JRPG fanboys must have flooded it, so I guess it's time for the Hivemind to put its opinion there too.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Aveyond II looks like it was made in RPG Maker XP.

What makes a game indie exactly? Shoestring budget? Amateur production values?

Micmu

Magister
Too bad it reqires registration, otherwise I'd vote for GF4.
Besides, it appears to be overrun by Japanese, so I'm even less motivated to give them my spam-mail address.

dagorkan

Arbiter
micmu said:
Too bad it reqires registration, otherwise I'd vote for GF4.
Besides, it appears to be overrun by Japanese, so I'm even less motivated to give them my spam-mail address.
Explains all.

Can't say I'm surprised and I hate saying this but Japanese pop 'culture' is exactly what creates this kind of adult infantilization.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Not to spoil your goody ol' hardcore gamers whining, but really ....

I am not very much into that Anime stuff or JRPGs in general, but Aveyond is the only game in that list that I could even consider voting for. I mean, Jeff Vogel's games? It's not about them looking butt ugly - that's not the point, but even for me, an experienced roleplayer his games are no fun to play.

Aveyond seems to build on what JRPGs do considerably better than most western RPGs: They tell stories - not just plot.

Like every television writer learns very early in his career: People are interested in the relations of characters, their emotions, like say love, hate and so on.

Have you ever watched a teenage girl play a modern Zelda game? They laugh and cry wholeheartly, because these games do *touch* them.

I only played Exile 1 and Blades of Exile for a while, but there was simply nothing that got hold of my heart, so to speak - it didn't spark any interest. They may be well constructed, non-linear games with interesting gameplay points (and social issues, I was told), but was it *about* something?

As much as most of you hate the newer Final Fantasy games, the were *about* something that basically is part of that what makes us human: feelings.

Conclusion: I'd like to have more games being "emo". It didn't do PS:T, MotB or VtM:Redemption any harm.

TheLostOne

Savant
Sir_Brennus said:
Have you ever watched a teenage girl play a modern Zelda game? They laugh and cry wholeheartly, because these games do *touch* them.

I'm sure this was written innocently, but it gives off super strong voyeuristic vibes.

... and I like it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Checked the screenshots, Aveyond 2 looks amazing. Queer as fuck, but damn.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I suggest you buy it and tell us all about it.

Also: 2 votes for Generforge 4 vs 54 for Aveyond 2? Yegads. A lot of people want to get "touched" I guess. Including Brennus you big ol' cuddly snag, you.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Brennus sounded like a total fag in his post. And I won't spend money for gay things*.

*excluding everything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom