Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Strategy Games - post 'em if you find 'em

Kraszu

Prophet
Section8 said:
From my experience with multiplayer RTS gaming, it's generally the simplistic strategies that win. From Red Alert tank rushing, to Protos Carriers or Huntress rushing, none of my "intelligent" efforts managed to succeed against the idiot singlemind.

No on high or ever mediocre+ level people don't win just by making many carriers because your opponent will not let you to do them (there is no magic way to win, if you make photon cannons he will be safe, he will know you will not units soon and he could get expansion and kill your carriers whit economic advantage easy if you got time to make any). There is allot to sc strategy that you have no idea of, there is mind game between players of deceiving on high level, people measure timing of opponent potential bo and makes counter that would not work if timing would be different by ~30sec. Computer would need real AI to come whit those, the possibilities in sc are practically endless. Map changes ha do you expect AI to analyze map. Situation changes rapidly, human would eventually understand mistakes of cpu AI and abuse them. I think that you need real AI to play perfect a game whit not full information (fog of war in sc).

mondblut

Arcane
Mefi said:
Still hunting for a decent Napoleonic game not in ASCII or for the Super NES.

KOEI's old L'Empereur? Could have been for NES too, but has a PC version either. Plays not different than Genghis Khan, Nobunaga's Ambitions or RTK2-3.

YourConscience

Scholar
Wow, Mandicor must be the ugliest game I've ever seen. About as ugly as my own attempt many years ago, when I tried to whip up some graphics in MS Paint! :)

I hope the gameplay turns out to be worth something, in the end...

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Any tip on turnbased wargames to play? Such as Strategic Commander or Pacific Assult.

I'd like a new one since I know most 2002 and back when I was into this genré. Thanks ahead!

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Actually I played it and I did like it alot except a few things I can't remember now but I want something new yet something the same :o ! Maybe I'll just install SC2 and play it again, not done that nearly as much as with SC1 :)

Though if you have some ideas keep them coming, doesn't really need to be indie.

TeeGee

Novice
Hmm - maybe it's kinda lame to suggest my own game ;), but oh well... I can't resist the tempation (I've stumbled upon this topic accidentaly I must admit).

If you guys are interested in indie strategy games, then you can check MAGI out. It's a sort of unique tactical game with strong RPG element attached to it. It's centered around wizard duels.
Player decides what spells to cast, choosing from various magic schools like curses, summons etc. Enemy does the same - in general the one who can outsmart the opponent is usually the winner;). There also a character development allowing for some longer term planning.

You can view the game's website at http://www.getmagi.com and if you are lazy, you can get the demo at http://www.getmagi.com/getdemo

Have fun.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
sheek said:
You can get Incubation now on abandonware sites.
Getting incubation isn't the issue. Getting it to run is. Unfortunately the only tip I could find on the net was activating compability mode which doesn't help me because the installation aborts with the stupid "this game needs Win95 to run" message and just copying the files from the CD doesn't work.

Turbografx

Augur
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You should all give the Take Command series a try. Command units in the American Civil War at various levels/perspectives e.g. regiment/brigade etc. They're both pretty awesome and there are mods out to make them Napoleonic / American War of Independence themed.

http://www.madminutegames.com

Priced around $20 for D2D download.

Severian Silk

Weewar

A browser-based PBEM strategy game, sort of like Advance Wars. The pixel art graphics are simple and self-explanatory. I haven't played it, but the site at least looks very polished, so I'm guessing it's pretty good.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Making History II

Muzzy Lane site has some features and at least one screenshot from upcoming (turn based) WWII strategy game MAKING HISTORY II - The War of the World.

mh2map4.jpg

Compare with this screenshots from MH 1:

6-big.jpg

I didn't like the first one because the map was crammed, making it too casual. But I find the 2D art very attractive, and hope the sequel will be altogether a more serious game.

https://www.making-history.com/forum/vi ... sc&start=0

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom