Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infinity Engine: Still gas left in the tank?

DemonKing

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:
Volourn said:
Nope. NWN looks much better than IE. No contest. People who think otherwise are simply blind.

I doubt that there is a single person alive who shares that opinion. Prove me wrong.

I don't see what Vollie is so upset about...they're both BIO engines after all. :roll:

Ratty

Scholar
Yeah, there is a certain aesthetic charm to blocky, amorphous blobs of polygons (that look *almost* like real-world objects if you squint really hard) and near-complete absence of special effects that simply can't be matched by high-resolution, obscenely-detailed pre-rendered scenes.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
If someone were to release an IE-based, non-BG-like, original dungeon romp, I would be all over it like flies on a piece of roadkill's butthole.

It's gotta be better than the current deluge of action RPGs.

Disclaimer: I thought BG was shit. I couldn't get into BG2. Or the KOTORs. Yet I finished both IWD and IWD2. That should make most of you discount my opinion.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I doubt that there is a single person alive who shares that opinion. Prove me wrong."

You have a theory. prove yourself correct. You can't. The fact you can speak for all 6 billion+ people who are alive is beyond hilarious. Moron.

"...they're both BIO engines after all"

Irrelevant. Creator of said engines is unimportant. Aurora is a better looking engine than the IE. Period.

Fez

Erudite
Do you think vanilla NWN looks better than any IE game, Volourn?

Andhaira

Arcane
Thats what he's saying. I disagree overall.

Spell effects, animations, avatar's, items/armor look better.

The background and landscape do not compare to IE though. Neither does the music (agh! what happened bioware?)

Ovewrall IE games are better.

DemonKing

Arcane
The Witcher version of Aurora looks pretty good I'll admit...but the NWN version was one of the ugliest things I've ever seen released...

Ryuken

Liturgist
All those early 3D RPG's (Dungeon Siege, Morrowind, NWN, even Gothic) missed the visual charm of 2D RPG's.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
Nope. NWN looks much better than IE.

how the fuck can a blocky 3 color (gray, brown, green) NWN look much better than IE games? Volly you're really getting to new tops there. but keep rolling

Andhaira

Arcane
Morrowind was pretty, at least environ-wsie. Char models were butt ugly.

Gothic is just blocky and ugly.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Volourn said:
"I doubt that there is a single person alive who shares that opinion. Prove me wrong."

You have a theory. prove yourself correct. You can't. The fact you can speak for all 6 billion+ people who are alive is beyond hilarious. Moron.

Volly, volly, volly. It's impossible to prove myself correct, yes, and that's why I've placed the burden of proof on your shoulders. To prove myself correct I'd need question ever living person on earth. To prove me incorrect you just need to find *one* person who shares you idiotic opinion. If "only an idiot" could think that the IE games looked better than NWN OC it can't be that hard to find just one person prefers NWN OC, can it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It's impossible to prove myself correct"

Thanks for admitting your theory is bullshit. You can't even prove it correct.

"To prove myself correct I'd need question ever living person on earth."

Better get started in your research.

"If "only an idiot" could think that the IE games looked better than NWN OC it can't be that hard to find just one person prefers NWN OC, can it?"

Quite a few people know NWN looks better than the IE games. This dicussion has occured many times, and there's been those arguing each side all the time. *yawn* Codex doesn't count 'cause it's a Hivemind.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Volourn said:
"It's impossible to prove myself correct"

Thanks for admitting your theory is bullshit. You can't even prove it correct.

It's impossible to prove any theory correct, moron. In the real world scientists work to *disprove* theories, and the longer that a theory remains un-disproven the more weight the theory accumulates.

Volourn said:
Quite a few people know NWN looks better than the IE games. This dicussion has occured many times, and there's been those arguing each side all the time. *yawn* Codex doesn't count 'cause it's a Hivemind.

In that case, it shouldn't take you that much effort to find someone else who currently shares your opinion, should it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
More effort that I care to put into proving something as anicent as which engine that's been around for eyars - Aurora or IE - look better. L0L Get with the present, DUDE.

And, if you reallyc ared, go the NWN baords. It shouldn't take long to find soemthing to destroy your pathetic theory.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
And, if you reallyc ared, go the NWN baords. It shouldn't take long to find soemthing to destroy your pathetic theory.

really? go to Oblivion forums - it shouldn't take long to find somebody who will say that Oblivion is ten times better than any NWN.
I'm really impressed by your retarded logic.

Dark Matter

Prophet
skyway said:
Volourn said:

really? go to Oblivion forums - it shouldn't take long to find somebody who will say that Oblivion is ten times better than any NWN.
I'm really impressed by your retarded logic.
god you're dumb

when he suggested going to the nwn boards, it was to prove his statement that there are people out there who prefer the aurora engine, not to prove that it's better than the IE engine. pay attention.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ah yes a dumb mistake. still it doesn't remove the fact that Volly could try a better place than a forum full of fanboy idiots

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:
More effort that I care to put into proving something as anicent as which engine that's been around for eyars - Aurora or IE - look better..

What? I thought the statement was that IE at its peak looked better than Aurora's first game, NWN.

I think that's a very sensible statement. Aurora has surely improved, true, especially in the hands of CD Projekt.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
r"eally? go to Oblivion forums - it shouldn't take long to find somebody who will say that Oblivion is ten times better than any NWN.
I'm really impressed by your retarded logic."

Your logic is retarded. I never argued this fatc. not once did I claim that EVERYONE prefered NWN to Oblivion. You dumbass... so why bring that up?

You made the bullshit claim that EVERYONE on the planet thinks that the IE looks better than Aurora/NWN engine. That's utter bullshit, and basiclaly you talkin' out your ass.

"What? I thought the statement was that IE at its peak looked better than Aurora's first game, NWN.

I think that's a very sensible statement."

A. That's not the statement we're arguing about currently. read above in this post what the argument is. He claims that NOBODY but me prefers the looks of NWN/Aurora to the IE. That's bull.

B. I'll say it again - even unpatched NWN1 OC Aurora Engine looks better than the IE.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
Your logic is retarded. I never argued this fatc. not once did I claim that EVERYONE prefered NWN to Oblivion. You dumbass... so why bring that up?
because fanboys cannot be taken into serious account. NWN vs Oblivion has nothing to do with it. try again.

You made the bullshit claim that EVERYONE on the planet thinks that the IE looks better than Aurora/NWN engine. That's utter bullshit, and basiclaly you talkin' out your ass.
it wasn't me.

I'll say it again - even unpatched NWN1 OC Aurora Engine looks better than the IE.
why?

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Shagnak said:
If someone were to release an IE-based, non-BG-like, original dungeon romp, I would be all over it like flies on a piece of roadkill's butthole.

There's a total conversion mod for BG2 called Classic Adventures which is basically an ongoing project that attempts to translate old PnP modules into the Infinity Engine. Note that the mod is still under development, but it's quite playable nonetheless. Here's a short description:

Classic Adventures will be a compilation of many of the old and some new classic PnP (Pen and Paper) modules. I fully plan to include series like A, D, G, S, and U into this story. There are several newer mods that will also be included into this project just for some variety.

Classic Adventures starts with "The Sunless Citadel" which is a current mod for the d20 System. You will start the game as a level 1 player and work your way through a fortress that years ago was magically pushed into a giant ravine with the hopes of destroying it's evil occupants. You are tasked with creating a party to go down into the ravine and try to purchase a special magical item from a clan of goblins.

The next mod is the start of the classic U series, U1 - The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. This continues with the next two mods in that series, U2 - Danger at Dunwater and U3 - The Final Enemy. For now, the game finishes with a Dragon magazine mod called The Ghost of Mistmoor.

And here are a few screenshots:

md7_large.jpg

md6_large.jpg

md2_large.jpg

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:
A. That's not the statement we're arguing about currently. read above in this post what the argument is. He claims that NOBODY but me prefers the looks of NWN/Aurora to the IE. That's bull.

Yes it is.

Volourn said:
B. I'll say it again - even unpatched NWN1 OC Aurora Engine looks better than the IE.

I don't think it's that easy to flatly compare 2D and 3D, but as far as I can figure, NWN 1 is basically really ugly 3D, while the peak of IE represented some of the best 2D has ever done. I don't think that's much of a contest, but hey, if that's what you want to think, go ahead.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Andhaira said:
I'm pretty sure IWD2 made money. Definately not a loss. AFAIR it was released slightly PRIOR to NWN.

Nope. NWN was released in July 2002, IWD2 was released in August 2002. The European release of IWD2 was delayed for months because Interplay had forgotten to pay the European distributors for previous titles they'd distributed, so they didn't ship the game out there until after Herve had paid them. IIRC, Herve also had to pony up extra to the European distributors because they didn't want to get screwed again by Interplay. So, it was later than IWD2 in the United States and much, much later of a release behind NWN in Europe. I'm pretty sure that IWD2 was the first BIS game to lose money because it was well over budget, released after NWN, and the European release was so botched. Using the Infinity Engine was a bad enough decision for it, but screwing up the release and not getting it out before NWN didn't help it at all. I know it lost money in Europe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom