Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Informative Fallout 3 interview at Eurogamer

Top Hat

Scholar
Ander Vinz said:
Claw said:
Kudos to Emil for retroactively tainting my fond memories of Terminator: Future Shock. Thanks a lot, bastard! If you read this (unlikely): Your mother was a five dollar hooker and still had more class than you.
And then people complain about someone wishing Fallout fans to die from horrible disease.
Since when did a few people's overreaction make the case for mass fanocide?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Top Hat said:
Since when did a few people's overreaction make the case for mass fanocide?

You don't understand, they're allowed to vilify us but we have to be really, really nice, all of us. Because we're the bad guys. Duh, wake up and smell the coffee, girlfriend

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I am smelling the coffee but I don't like it and it makes me sad. :(

I dunno, the more stuff like this that I read:
  • Actually it's interesting for me - it harkens back for me to some of the most enjoyable first-person games I've ever played, the Terminator games Bethesda made. Fallout 3 is Bethesda's triumphant return to gunplay games, after swords and sorcery for so long. For me it's about bringing back /that/ legacy.
... the more it screams to me that Bethesda simply do not get Fallout. I mean, Fallout 3 is about bringing back a legacy of gunplay games? What?

No really, what?

zioburosky13

Educated
So they screwed-up the terminator franchise, now they wanna screw-up Fallout?
Devil, they are. :shock:

EDIT: Oh wait they are doing it now. :shock:

Annonchinil

Scholar
I like this comment from Eurogamer boards.

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

Bradylama

Arcane
I'm still not sure how Bethesda's Terminator franchise could even have a legacy, considering they only made two games in the 90's.

BillyOgawa

Scholar
Annonchinil said:
I like this comment from Eurogamer boards.

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

I love it. That little bit of genius seems out of place amidst the rest of the comments. Such as,

Do not dismiss it as a pseudo-RPG - you have a role and you play it and it is a game, hence RPG.

Hrm. Welcome to every game ever made, fool.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
I dunno, the more stuff like this that I read
... the more it screams to me that Bethesda simply do not get Fallout.
Wasn't it obvious from the beginning with all shit like "we'll do what we do best"?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
The part about choice and consequence sounds good. If they actually get that right, its a buy for me.

cares

Novice
GhanBuriGhan said:
The part about choice and consequence sounds good. If they actually get that right, its a buy for me.

yea...because C&C is definitely something, they do best...

gc051360

Scholar
Let me start off by saying that I would not want Liam Neeson as my father.
The part about choice and consequence sounds good. If they actually get that right, its a buy for me
But if it's a lame choice in a lame story....what's the point? It's not just choice + consequence = automatically good. It's actually just choice + consequence = automatically logical.....now add some flavor. Bethesda can't do that. They suck.

The town is called Megaton for Christ's sake.

"we're all about choices and consequences"

---What about killing children??

"who would want to kill children?"

----Can I choose to beat up my dad Liam?

"why would you want to do that...he's Liam Neeson"

----Can I pursue the game as mostly non-violent??

"why would you do that when the heads EXPLODE!!!"

Ander Vinz

Scholar
cares said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
no, because they always keep their word

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
cares said:
GhanBuriGhan said:

Command & Conquer? I thought that was made by someone else. :?

GhanBuriGhan said:
Oh dear. Do you guys know the meaning of "if" and "get it right"?
Sure we do but do you know the meaning of "snowball's chance in hell"?

kris

Arcane
Ratty said:
Emil said:
As for the story, I really like stories that are character-based, so how do those characters change throughout the game?

You like stories that are character-based? Then what the fuck are you doing designing a Fallout game?

I would say many of the stories in fallout was character based. that Fallout had many strong characters in its quests and stories made the game. but the ES games on the other hand don't really have any character worth remembering. Which don't exactly give me great hope, especially since they claimed they would fix that for Oblivion...

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Dark Underlord said:

Of course. After all we are talking about the public enemy #1 of the Codex. Still, "choice and consequence in every quest line", and the parts about the importance of good, evil, and neutral paths are pretty straightforward statements. I am sceptical enough myself, but they couldn't really SAY much better stuff than this. Now of course the have to SHOW that they really mean it and that they really can DO it.

kris

Arcane
Ander Vinz said:
Claw said:
Kudos to Emil for retroactively tainting my fond memories of Terminator: Future Shock. Thanks a lot, bastard! If you read this (unlikely): Your mother was a five dollar hooker and still had more class than you.
And then people complain about someone wishing Fallout fans to die from horrible disease.

You also reckon all asians should die because a asian guy did something horrible?

kris

Arcane
GhanBuriGhan said:
Dark Underlord said:

Of course. After all we are talking about the public enemy #1 of the Codex. Still, "choice and consequence in every quest line", and the parts about the importance of good, evil, and neutral paths are pretty straightforward statements. I am sceptical enough myself, but they couldn't really SAY much better stuff than this. Now of course the have to SHOW that they really mean it and that they really can DO it.

I am on par with you here. But do you remember that Gavin Carter said in this forum similar things about Oblivion? He talked about just the things I wanted to hear, more interesting characters, quests with several solutions and improved conversation system. Its just that none of these things really happened in the game. still, hearing them saying this in public is clearly a step forward and unlike Oblivion they have given a example of it.

I do get the feeling they will come with comments that will cover all bases as in pleasing everyone with at least one comment...

Twinfalls

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
I am sceptical enough myself, but they couldn't really SAY much better stuff than this. Now of course the have to SHOW that they really mean it and that they really can DO it.

See, this is why much of modern medicine is a wasted endeavour. Alzheimer's doesn't need a cure. It makes people happy! You can just keep hoping for the same thing over and over and over until you die, and it won't matter how many times you're whumped on the head by the cruel hammer of reality...

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
kris said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Dark Underlord said:

I am on par with you here. But do you remember that Gavin Carter said in this forum similar things about Oblivion? He talked about just the things I wanted to hear, more interesting characters, quests with several solutions and improved conversation system. Its just that none of these things really happened in the game.
Which is why I am sceptical, of course. Still, it was not the same things that were said then. As VD pointed out to me at the time, they avoided talking about dialogue and quests as much as they could with Oblivion. That seems different now, and that is a good sign.

Twinfalls said:
See, this is why much of modern medicine is a wasted endeavour. Alzheimer's doesn't need a cure. It makes people happy! You can just keep hoping for the same thing over and over and over until you die, and it won't matter how many times you're whumped on the head by the cruel hammer of reality...
How dramatic! We are just talking about a bloody videogame that promises some choice and consequences. We like choice and consequences. If it doesn't have decent choice and consequences, we wag our fingers at it and wait for the next game to promise choice and consequences. What do I gain by adding my voice to the choir here, shouting "rape!, they will never make a game with decent C&C, its all lies anyway". If it is, we'll know early enough.

gc051360

Scholar
We like choice and consequences
Depends on the choice and consequence.
If it doesn't have decent choice and consequences, we wag our fingers at it and wait for the next game to promise choice and consequences
Tough sitting through the "GREATEST GAME EVER" talk.
What do I gain by adding my voice to the choir here, shouting "rape!
Absolutely nothing. What do you gain by adding your voice to the "wait and see" choir? One leads to disappointment, and the other is probably realistic.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
gc051360 said:
We like choice and consequences
Depends on the choice and consequence.
If it doesn't have decent choice and consequences, we wag our fingers at it and wait for the next game to promise choice and consequences
Tough sitting through the "GREATEST GAME EVER" talk.
What do I gain by adding my voice to the choir here, shouting "rape!
Absolutely nothing. What do you gain by adding your voice to the "wait and see" choir? One leads to disappointment, and the other is probably realistic.

1) Sure, hence "get it right"
2) I hate that too. But then Its just part of advertisement, and no more to be taken serious than the promises that my aftershave will make all pretty women go crazy with desire for me.
3) Of course. Realizing that, one could maybe discuss the pros and cons a little more relaxedly, but thats just me, and this is the Codex, so just consider it adding my slightly moderate voice to the hubub.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom