Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Interactive fiction game with C&C

Incline?

• Decline! Decline!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zwanzig_zwoelf

So, eh, I guess it's time to post a little bit from myself.
I spent the whole last week trying to get around this 'Twine' thingie, and suddenly a Big Idea(tm) came to my mind.
So, ehh, I decided to write a short game.

Overview:
You were chosen to travel to unknown regions of the Galaxy in a small cryo ship. You take the test to determine your background and basic stats (Strength, Perception, Intelligence, Charisma, SPIC(tm) for short).
After hundreds of years, you wake up in the cryo chamber of your ship. You suddenly realise that you still have 3 weeks to reach your destination, but humans have already found a way to reach it faster, and now they're living along with alien species. Every day you encounter in a random situation, which you need to solve using your stats. Your choice will either change them or change the future situations. Or end the game, depending on it.

For example, you may encounter the cult of Star Worshippers, who want you to get into their cult. With high charisma, you can make them believe that you're a great Messiah of the Star Lord(tm) and you've come to take their finest woman to breed a new, elite race. With high strength, you can board their ship and kick the shit out of them. With high perception you may lead them to the black hole which will suck them away. With high intelligence you can tell them that Star Lord(tm) is a fiction made by scientologists, which will lead them to the massive suicide. (Just a quick example).

In short: I'm trying to make an interactive book with small RPG elements to spice the storyline a bit.

What is ready:
- Test is partially ready (just two questions, but it proves that it works).
- Storyline is a bit ready (in my head).
- SPIC system should work as intended (didn't test it through yet).

What is not ready but on my list:
- Choosing sex of the protagonist.
- Make every encounter random to make every playthrough quite unique (still figuring out how to do that).
- VOMITS OF TEXT.
- Soundtrack. Yeah, I plan that too.

So, why am I posting that? Here is why:
- I looked through the entire concept. I can handle this. But this requires some dedication.
- I'm interested in hearing some ideas from my fellow bros and sisters. Maybe you have an idea that will make people shiver?
- I've made partial proof of concept for myself, so I won't get stuck for years doing pointless onanism.
- I'm drunk and I don't give a crap about what I do.

So, what do you think?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Since I can't edit the original post anymore, I've finished the small 'proof'.
Those are only 2 questions from the test. Hints about the stats are going to be hidden - they are here just during the alpha.

Click

zwanzig_zwoelf

Darn it. I've never heard about this game. :rpgcodex:

Meanwhile, I figured out the random encounters (still have to implement them, though) and stats system. Also, optimized some of the text-related stuff, which made no difference apart from minimizing the duplication.
It's here: Click

Damn, making games is addictive.

Still, I have to implement a background image.

zwanzig_zwoelf

How is this "roguelike"? It's more like CYOA.

I had a long night, so I guess I could name it wrong.

BUT! As wikipedia states: The roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing video games, characterized by:
Level randomization - events are randomly chosen from the 'event pool'.
Permanent death - you died, restart.
Turn-based movement - the game is turn-based.
So the game can be at least partially 'roguelike'.

zwanzig_zwoelf

New alpha is here.
Stats system was re-written from scratch. No difference from the outside, but it saved me the trouble of hardcoding every event, it's clean and it's working perfectly.
3 questions are already fully implemented. More after I get some proper sleep.
Or I should just stop posting for a while and keep coding and writing.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Alright, some small things:
- Implemented random movement between nodes.
- Basic skillchecks (still need to think more of that).
- Modding support.

Yet to implement:
- Non-repetitive movement, so passages won't repeat themselves.
- Skillchecks without hardcoding.

It's here, if you want to test it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

zwanzig_zwoelf Im picturing what you intend to make is sorta similar to FTL but more event driven.
FTL has been called a roguelike around here.

Well, I was inspired by FTL, but most of the FTL for me was fighting due to the plot. While I liked FTL, I wasn't confused by the alien species and their life.
I'm focusing more on randomising events and changing the plot with your choices and skills. Something like a book which you can read in 15-30 minutes, yet see something new every time you re-read it.

J1M

Arcane
New crafting recipe unlocked:
Codex workshop has discovered that "choose your own adventure" + "combat system" = roguelike.

zwanzig_zwoelf

New crafting recipe unlocked:
Codex workshop has discovered that "choose your own adventure" + "combat system" = roguelike.
I used quotation marks in case of a mistake. This quickly becomes old.
Anyway, I have no combat system and don't plan any.

zwanzig_zwoelf

A small update:
- SPIC is partially finished, but I encountered a number of small problems with the engine (mostly because it was designed for interactive fiction with little to no math).
- Shitty engine breaks the logically-wise 'external' node transition, so it may take a while to figure out how to implement it or to find another way.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Small update (so long, I know):
- Trouble with Twine shit is still here, and no matter how I tried to work around it, it simply doesn't work. If I fail to find a working solution, I will have to move to another engine (or simplify the concept to yet another linear IF).
- Some stat issues were resolved, now skillchecks are easier to code.
- Links are borked, so I will provide another to the latest alpha build later.
- If I manage finish this game, I will release the source code to the public for anyone who want to develop their own stuff, but too afraid of coding.

EDIT: The latest build can be played here.

Last edited by a moderator:

oscar

Arcane
I like these sorts of things. Keep up the good work.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Interesting. Please continue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom