Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Interest Gauge] Pathfinder/Shadowrun 4th ed over RPTools

Which system is most monocle?

• Shadowrun 4th Edition

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Pathfinder (D&D 3.5++)

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Ah nice, a welcome christmas present having rolled high enough to be accepted into the illustrious round!
I hereby report for duty :salute: and confirm that I am available at Saturday evenings GMT until... well Sunday afternoon basically ;)

So I have until Saturday to work myself into the Pathfinder universe, could get interesting :D
If I want to read into the system a bit and also especially lore concerning the region where the campaign is taking place do you have any recommendations aside from the mandatory Player Guide for the Campaign and the Pathfinder Core Rulebook?

Black Cat

Magister
Ulminati said:
@Schwartzkatze: Core rule book, Player's Guide, ultimate Combat, Ultimate magic are all allowed. Adventurer's armory too, but I'd discourage it since it confuses the hell out of me. No hero points. 2 traits (one general, 1 campaign). Base races (no monstrous). Ability scores by build points.

Oky dokie. Consider this my expression of interest and availability, then. I'll make an elven witch, or maybe an elven sorceress, when it's my turn, so feel free to jump me over if there's a lack of fighters or rogues or something when the spot becomes free, until there's a spot for a spellcaster.

Lightbane said:
You failed the Perception check.

My bad, sowwy. :(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root said:
also, only five PCs?

The adventures are all written for 4-5 PCs. If we add a 6th, I'll have to rework every encounter to be slightly more difficult and every treasure to be slightly more valuable. Fewer PCs also means more screen time for everyone and less risk of someone feeling overlooked and getting bored.

root said:
you know my character concept is totally borked without her :/

I guess you'll have to come up with a concept that 1) doesn't want to be an illithid lich, 2) isn't an inquisitor of an elder star god, 3) hasn't got a tentacle fetish and 4) isn't going to get killed by a mob of angry peasants with torches and pitchforks in the first village. :rpgcodex:

For the oneshot scenario people want to run to get familiar with the game -- should I prepare a dungeon delve for the characters they just rolled up, or should I grab something with pregenerated disposable throwaway characters instead? (We Be Goblins springs to mind, even if I'll have to make a 5th goblin to go with the 4 pregenerated. also, BC will probably kill me if I run it without her :P)

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Made it to the list! :bounce:

Pity the voting for the campaign passed me by. Life sucks. :(

I should make it to the Saturday session, though, unless some unspecified disaster strikes.

Experience - Lots

Ha! You vastly overestimate me. Ain't that good at larping, and it's been ages since I played real D&D. I haven't played Pathfinder yet as well - only browsed through the books out of curiosity. Should be lots of fun. :D

Also, as I said, while I like good stories and all, this time I look forward to some dungeon rumble. :bounce:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
WetWorks said:
bummer...

Sry BRO. Rolling a die for it was the fairest solution I could think of. Once things are underway I'll try to set up some oneshots on the side. I'll give people on the list but not in the current group preferential treatment for slots in those.

Reject_666_6 said:
Is it too late to roll a 20 and knock somebody out of the bracket like a douchebag? :M

Yes. I can add you to the list if you like, but all additions from here on out will be inserted at the bottom.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ulminati said:
[snip]
I even rolled for the people who said they probably couldn't make it. Azira with his busy family life scored a CRITICAL HIT!
[snip]

Alright! :bro: Knowing my usual luck though, that's the first and only 20 to be rolled by me for a long time hereafter. :lol:

As is, having now talked with my wife, I am even more convinced that I cannot devote sufficient time yet. Maybe in a half a years time or so, it might be possible. Right now though? Sorry but no.

If you need someone to cook up disposable NPCs with a mean streak towards the PCs I'd be glad to throw together some characters using the same rules as the PCs. :smug:

lightbane

Arcane
It's seems the Dark Gods have deemed me worthy enough to play :love:
But until next week I can't confirm if I'll be able to join, I'll try to tell you so as soon as possible. By the way, about that IRC Channel thing, which program do you reccomend we should use? MIRC? I have not used one of these in ages...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
lightbane said:
until next week I can't confirm if I'll be able to join, I'll try to tell you so as soon as possible. By the way, about that IRC Channel thing, which program do you reccomend we should use? MIRC? I have not used one of these in ages...

Considering our first session is this weekend, next week is a little late to let us know if you can join, BRO :rpgcodex:

Mirc is fine I guess. I use pidgin for IRC myself. There's not really a lot of difference between IRC clients. someone else may know more about them than I do.

lightbane

Arcane
This weekend? Shit, I misread it. Well, on that case, I guess I'll be able to join, I'll confirm it tomorrow as soon as I can.

Quilty

Magister
Reporting for duty! :salute:

I predict no problems in the foreseeable future, so I'll definitely be there.

I'll have to read up on Pathfinder again to refresh my memory, though. I think I'll have plenty of time to do that tomorrow. I just have to grab a program for IRC chatting (I guess I'll take pidgin) and rptools...

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well that is all fine i need to go to my mom's house for her birthday on Sunday any way so it is most likely for the best.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Looks like we're set then. Depending on wether or not lightbane confirms within the next 20 hours or so, it's either him or BC n the last slot. With Quilty, Mrowak, root and angelo85 in the other 4.

I'll update the main thread with details tomorrow night. I'm thinking first session will be a disposable oneshot scenario to give everyone a feel for the program and fight a few monsters. XP/loot won't carry over into the campaign proper, but neither will horrible death and ability drain.

After much deliberation, I've decided to say "fuck frameworks". They're enormous resource hogs with a lot of bloat and generally take ages to get set up. so everyone will be tasked with keeping their own character sheets and tracking their bonusses. Just like in pen & paper :love:

Black Cat

Magister
Alrighty.

Try to send me a PM once you have decided whether I go or not so I have the time to finish refreshing on the rules and reading the guides on Witches and spells so I have a general idea on what I want to do with the character. I kind of suck at measuring time.

lightbane

Arcane
Okay, I got it. As long as my PC does not suffer a catastrophic failure or something, I'll be able to join the session (although I may be a bit late). I'm sorry Black Cat :( I hope you don't mind, I'm sure you'll have your chance to join later.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
And that makes it 5!

....Shit, I guess this means I ought to start preparing stuff :D

Root may not show up for the first session (he already cleared that with me), but he knows how RPtools works and we're doing a one-shot to familiarize everyone else with it anyhow.

lightbane

Arcane
As long as you explain how to correctly use Maptools, I'm fine, I fiddled with it a while and watched the tutorials, but I still don't know how to properly play (how to create characters, the combat, etc.)...

Random question: Does Maptools come with a built-in english spell-check program? Just to know.

PS: Also, that after 2/3 hours or so we take a break, so that some can have dinner/lunch/whatever.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
lightbane said:
As long as you explain how to correctly use Maptools, I'm fine, I fiddled with it a while and watched the tutorials, but I still don't know how to properly play (how to create characters, the combat, etc.)...

I keep meaning to do a tutorial for it, but I get sidetracked by shit. plus it'd be a huge timesink.

It's not too complex. we're not using fancy frameworks. I'll make a bunch of tokens for the players to drag around. Combat/character generation follows the rules in the core rulebook. All maptools does is show us where everyone is located and allowing us to roll dice. Think of it as a paper map on a table with little minis on it.

For rules questions, I've sent you a PM with links for the various books if you haven't got them already. I also summed up character generation rules in the main thread.

Random question: Does Maptools come with a built-in english dictionary or something? Just to know.

Nope. It has a chat window, a die roller and a shared map.

PS: Also, that after 2/3 hours or so we take a break, so that some can have dinner/lunch/whatever.

If the players want a break after a couple of hours, sure, we'll take one.

Quilty

Magister
Just dropping by to say that I might be 10-15 minutes late because my lesson at the university ends at 17:30 and it usually takes me half an hour to get home. I hope that's not a problem, it just occurred to me that it might take me a few more minutes than usual, depending on the traffic.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Lightbane: since we'll do a shared Character generation you can always drop questions regarding the generation there I figure.

I'm still thinking about a character concept - which btw is kinda hard when you are not that familar with the rules (what's OP and what is utterly useless? itisamystery.jpg) and don't know which classes the others might be interested in.

Talking about that: Which classes is the rest from our group interested in playing? :lol:

I was first thinking about rolling up a Cleric. but seeing how vital his role seems to be both in combat and out of combat, for my first Pathfinder experience something more simple has to suffice I figure.

Right now I'm thinking about a generic dwarven Fighter/Armor Master from the Five Kings Mountains - who, depending if we are generally an evil or lawful group, is either an outcast or a Torag worshipper that already earned to wear some rings in his beard - anybody else already called dips on the Melee/Fighter class yet?

And while we're at it I got a question for you Ultimati: How much leeway can we expect in regards to LARP from you? :)

Say for instance I suspect some NPC might be lying to us but I'm not very skilled in Sense Motive. Am I allowed to use the IRC to tell my bros 'telepathically' that I suspect the NPC might be lying and someone should bring out his dice, or does my character suddenly start blinking at our Cleric (or whatever secret sign we came up with for this situation)?

Quilty

Magister
As I'm still only a beginner, I'll choose one of the classes that's simpler to develop and use. I'm guessing Paladin or Fighter, maybe a Druid.

A Paladin of Racial Purity would be an ideal codexian choice, I believe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom