Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay not entirely homeless

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
kumquatq3 said:
We'll see my edit. I don't know why it happened, but I know it happened. Nor do I know the number installed. Could have been just 3 or 4, but without question some were installed.

I've heard there aren't any new cameras and I can't see why Herve would give a shit at this point if any employees walk out with memoriabilia, not enough to pay to have several cameras installed, wired up, and so forth. Decent cameras aren't cheap, and require a good bit of work to install. You have to pay contractors to have all that done. They have to run cabling through the cieling to the security room, add the special recorders and what not. Even if he gets away with doing the job for $5000, that's still a lot of money for a building you're going to abandon within a week.

The whole point of cameras is that they deter acts like this. If you can't see the cameras, as many people have noted NOT seeing them, then they're not doing their job as a deterant. You don't want to have to review tapes and catch an employee stealing. You want the employee that's thinking of stealing to stop and think about that camera there and then decide against it - that's much cheaper than candid catching an act.

And you know, floating a water cooler rumor that there are new cameras and the old ones are recording again is a nice deterant when you consider it. That's what all this sounds like anyway, a water cooler rumor.

I'm not saying there weren't cameras installed, but when no one is seeing them, that just seems unlikely. I also have to question why no one saw them getting installed. Even on a weekend, there are typically workers in game development at the offices.

DemonKing

Arcane
Maybe the cameras were installed for Herve's new SLAM DUNK scheme to "Return Interplay to profitability": a reality developer show ala Big Brother...

...except the twist here is instead of kicking out one employee a week, he plans to kick everyone out by Friday... :lol:

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
kumquatq3 said:
We'll see my edit. I don't know why it happened, but I know it happened. Nor do I know the number installed. Could have been just 3 or 4, but without question some were installed.

I've heard there aren't any new cameras and I can't see why Herve would give a shit at this point if any employees walk out with memoriabilia, not enough to pay to have several cameras installed, wired up, and so forth. Decent cameras aren't cheap, and require a good bit of work to install. You have to pay contractors to have all that done. They have to run cabling through the cieling to the security room, add the special recorders and what not. Even if he gets away with doing the job for $5000, that's still a lot of money for a building you're going to abandon within a week.

The whole point of cameras is that they deter acts like this. If you can't see the cameras, as many people have noted NOT seeing them, then they're not doing their job as a deterant. You don't want to have to review tapes and catch an employee stealing. You want the employee that's thinking of stealing to stop and think about that camera there and then decide against it - that's much cheaper than candid catching an act.

And you know, floating a water cooler rumor that there are new cameras and the old ones are recording again is a nice deterant when you consider it. That's what all this sounds like anyway, a water cooler rumor.

I'm not saying there weren't cameras installed, but when no one is seeing them, that just seems unlikely. I also have to question why no one saw them getting installed. Even on a weekend, there are typically workers in game development at the offices.

Look, I don't know what else to tell you. First, Herve does give a shit, because he obviously cleared out what he could already. BUT, there are still computers and servers and such left with data on them. There are still documents about. Second, I have no idea what cameras cost, but I suspect that a building that is wired up for security has several places pre-wired and I know a contractor did not have to install them. I would imagine that you also have a few extra cameras on hand, in case one goes down, or you want extra security somewhere for something.

Look, I didn't post any of this because of iply, as it didn't matter much to much in regards to the "story". I posted it to give staff a heads up, and it came from a nicely anti-caen source. I doubt it's wrong, but I could be wrong. But it is as solid, in my mind, as the Friday thing I posted, and as the statues being removed. So, for whatever it's worth, Iply staff heads up.

Sammael

Liturgist
Here's some good advice from Sean's board:
MRO2004 said:
Glad to hear you qualify for unemployment benefits. Just seems like you hung in there for so long why not wait a week or so longer for the definitive end. Herve's back is against the wall and there may be an offer on the table to sell an IP or the company for a price he wouldn't have considered a month or two ago, the Hunter franchise was sold to VU for $15 mil. the Fallout franchise has gotta be worth that at least. As an employee you could be part of a sale, as someone on unemployment you are not in a strong bargaining position if something happens. Maybe you are just fed up with the situation or completely out of savings. Good luck and I hope that lead pans out for you.

Anonymous

I wonder what will happen to the servers and data, and I wanna get the deathclaw statue if it's cheap.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Saint_Proverbius said:
Even on a weekend, there are typically workers in game development at the offices.
... or in Interplay's case, playing ping pong.

Rosh

Erudite
The life of whomever I have to remove the ribcage from in order to have it.

Whaaaat? :cool:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
kumquatq3 said:
Look, I don't know what else to tell you. First, Herve does give a shit, because he obviously cleared out what he could already.

Of course. They're getting evicted and locking the doors. Moving stuff out is kind of a priority.

BUT, there are still computers and servers and such left with data on them.

Big, awkward computers that are very hard to fit in your back pocket or backpack.

There are still documents about.

I'd say most of the SCARY documents are held by Herve's closest buddies, if not by the man himself. He's the CEO and CFO, so it's not like there would need to be wide spread circulation of that kind of thing around the company.

Second, I have no idea what cameras cost, but I suspect that a building that is wired up for security has several places pre-wired and I know a contractor did not have to install them. I would imagine that you also have a few extra cameras on hand, in case one goes down, or you want extra security somewhere for something.

If you want cameras in new locations, then yeah, wiring them up is a must.

Look, I didn't post any of this because of iply, as it didn't matter much to much in regards to the "story". I posted it to give staff a heads up, and it came from a nicely anti-caen source. I doubt it's wrong, but I could be wrong. But it is as solid, in my mind, as the Friday thing I posted, and as the statues being removed. So, for whatever it's worth, Iply staff heads up.

You are wrong, but at least you're amusing several of the remaining IPLY employees.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Big, awkward computers that are very hard to fit in your back pocket or backpack.

.........it's whats in the computer (not physically) that I imagine they don't want getting out. Hell, without even a receptionist maybe you could walk right out with a computer.

You are wrong, but at least you're amusing several of the remaining IPLY employees.

I have every reason to believe thats not the case. Not to mention that I can't find anyone to deny it, they all say "not sure". I can find people to confirm it tho. As I said, could be wrong, but the guy was right about the statues.

suibhne

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
several, adj. 1. Being of a number more than two or three but not many.

Are you certain there are even several remaining Interplay employees? :P

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'd be stealing peripherals from the computers right about now. RAM sticks, graphics cards, sound cards, hard drives. They're bound to have them. The employees could easily sell those on e-bay (except the hard drives).

suibhne

Erudite
From that GameSpot linky:

Controversial CEO points to an actively trading stock as evidence of the publisher's existence.

That's just COMEDY GOLD. "Hey, look, people are selling our stock like hotcakes - we're still here, and we've still got teh magic!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom