Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Adam Brennecke at IncGamers - Eric Fenstermaker confirmed to be Creative Lead on PE

hiver

Nothing wrong with it. Thats how soldiers or some people talk. Youre all whiny bitches.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm glad Fenstermaker's getting his time to shine, I soured on Ziets after Corporal Betsy.
What was it specifically about that character that soured you on Ziets?
TpyeQwc.jpg

eEVnE7p.jpg

How very "straight man trying and failing at writing a gay woman." Lesi wouldn't approve.

The conversation with her also contains a part where you're given multiple options that all lead to the same result and Sawyer explicitly told the writers not to ever do that since it's a waste of designer time and insulting to the player's intelligence. :rpgcodex:

You see that George? You god damn deranged motherfucker! You even made Roguey cry. What the fuck is wrong with you?!?!

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Eric Fenstermaker as Creative Lead is not news. Chris Avellone all but said he was the Creative Lead during Update 60. If you couldn't figure out Eric was the Creative Lead and not Chris after reading that then you have bigger problems.

How very "straight man trying and failing at writing a gay woman." Lesi wouldn't approve.

The conversation with her also contains a part where you're given multiple options that all lead to the same result and Sawyer explicitly told the writers not to ever do that since it's a waste of designer time and insulting to the player's intelligence. :rpgcodex:

That dialog does look retarded and unrealistic.

Nothing wrong with it. Thats how soldiers or some people talk. Youre all whiny bitches.

Thing is, there's a matter of writing quality there. If you're going with it as something specific to that character, or to soldiers, then you need to construct it in a way that invites that context. Often it's less about what a character says, than about how other characters (and the player) can react.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'm glad Fenstermaker's getting his time to shine, I soured on Ziets after Corporal Betsy.
What was it specifically about that character that soured you on Ziets?
TpyeQwc.jpg

eEVnE7p.jpg

So you didn't take Cherchez La Femme perk?

Athelas

Arcane
In all fairness, Bethesda's character models are so terrible that she could easily be mistaken for a guy.

How do you know he's straight? :M

Declinator

Arbiter
Betsy said:
Girl...you are some grade-A poon, anybody ever tell you that?
Betsy said:
I see somebody I like, I go ahead and tell her. That's about the only that that the horn-dog males get right.

So a gay woman would NEVER EVER say those lines or is it just improbable?

Is this a bit like some people complaining that rape victims/child soliders etc. in fiction should act like the average rape victim/child soldier? That apparently absolutely nobody can react differently from the usual and that it's unrealistic for the reaction to deviate.

It's not that I think that those lines are brilliant by any measure and in fact they seem pretty stupid but are they stupid because it's a lesbian saying it or because the lines themselves are stupid?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I haven't seen the context there, but I'm seeing a bit of Shakima Greggs in that character - as that was probably around the time when Obsidian 'dicovered' The Wire.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Eric Fenstermaker as Creative Lead is not news. Chris Avellone all but said he was the Creative Lead during Update 60. If you couldn't figure out Eric was the Creative Lead and not Chris after reading that then you have bigger problems.

Hey, fuckface. How about if I haven't been paying attention to 60 FUCKING UPDATES about a game I hardly care about. Now be nice and go play in traffic for a bit.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Isn't that the soldier that was raped by Fiends and hiding her pain beneath a veneer of machismo? I didn't see a problem with that character.

imweasel

Yeah, she was brutally raped many times over a longer period by Cook and the Fiends. She wasn't really a lesbian, it was just a show she put on because she just couldn't cope with the emotional pain.

This is the Wasteland, it isn't about shits and giggles and "adorable" super mutants.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What's with that mousta-shadow? Wouldn't bang even as a woman.

but are they stupid because it's a lesbian saying it or because the lines themselves are stupid?

They are OFFENSIVE because it's a lesbian and we all know minorities should receive special treatment. No bad writing for minorities, plz.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Isn't that the soldier that was raped by Fiends and hiding her pain beneath a veneer of machismo? I didn't see a problem with that character.
Okay concept, bad execution, which is why I'm blaming Ziets and not Sawyer.

Yeah, she was brutally raped many times over a longer period by Cook and the Fiends.
It was just once and for a brief period of time while the guy covering her was knocked out.

She wasn't really a lesbian, it was just a show she put on because she just couldn't cope with the emotional pain.
Yes she was. The problem was that she started aggressively harassing the other women when she didn't before.

Can a male PC cure her, then?
You convince her to go to a (female) doctor regardless of who you are.

Duraframe300

Arcane

No, it still wasn't.

The Creative Lead position is INDEPENDENT from the narrative itself. And we even have an actual example for it (South Park: Stick of Truth)

While his role may have been *obvious* to you, you could do a little less with the agressivness.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom