Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info InXile consults academics to create Wasteland authenticity

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
If you want to read "look into your own problems sometimes" as "fuck those braniac losers," well, that is something special.

That's how you make it sound, though, since inXile asking for scientist advice is such a horrible thing to do.
It's not a horrible thing to do. It's an unnecessary thing to do (in a game like WL2) that doesn't bring anything interesting to the table.

How do you know it "won't bring anything interesting to the table"? You don't know anything about the game!
Did I claim that I do? Surely, you realize that this is a theoretical discussion and nobody (well, except for Hiver) is getting worked up over it? So, let's not channel Bethesda's spirit and type "You don't know anything about the game!!! Leave this game alone!!!"

So, now that we've established that I know nothing about the game (courtesy of Fargo), let's continue talking theory.

Facts:

- Wasteland has an established and already unrealistic setting elements.

- Fargo already changed a more or less realistic tank-looking Scorpitron into an unrealistic (but very cool) scorpion-looking Scorpitron, trading realistic but boring for unrealistic but cool.

- The scientists said that creatures is one of their tasks. The problem with science! approved creatures is that there is no real data that shows wild mutations. Chernobyl didn't produce anything "interesting" and neither did other hotspots. No ghouls, no ran angels, no tentacle monsters, no giant rats and insects. Reality is boring, unfortunately. So, either the scientists will make shit up, which will be no different than what concept artists do (who know better what games need and what works), or they will stick with reality, which like I said, wouldn't bring anything interesting to the table.

As someone said, what we need in this or any other game isn't realistic creatures but interesting and memorable ones that would look great in the isometric perspective and would have distinctive behavior and abilities that would be work well with the combat system and the player's characters' abilities (i.e. the designers' domain).

Esquilax

Arcane
Just like talking to Bethesda fans. You say anything critical about Fallout 3 (when it was in development) and everyone runs to their battle stations and start typing "you just want it to be like Fallout 1 this is not 1995 anymore go play Fallout 1 if you like it so much!!!"

Indeed, the popamole is strong here. Look at the different sides of the argument:

Pro-consultants: We need a quest compass scientists to figure things out for us!
Skeptics: Fuck that, we'll learn what we need to and figure it out ourselves! :obviously:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did I claim that I do?

In effect, yes. To claim that science has nothing - absolutely nothing - to bring to the game implies that you know exactly what the game's content is.

For every example you can think of that shows why the game doesn't need science, I can think of a crack where science can fit in and improve it. This discussion is worthless until we know more.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Did I claim that I do?

In effect, yes. To claim that science has nothing - absolutely nothing - to bring to the game implies that you know exactly what the game's content is.
Should I add "in my opinion" every time I post something? Maybe throw in a few "in my honest opinion" every now and then, when it becomes necessary to underline that this opinion, unlike all that shit I posted before, is actually an honest one and must be believed?

Esquilax

Arcane

For every example you can think of that shows why the game doesn't need science, I can think of a crack where science can fit in and improve it. This discussion is worthless until we know more.

Not necessarily. If you're making a game with a lot of hard sci-fi elements like say, Alpha Centauri (which fucking ruled), then yeah, there's a point to it because it's relevant to the setting and the gameplay. But if you have a purposely over-the-top and ridiculous setting like Wasteland or Fallout, internal consistency is way more important than making sure that there are things that are scientifically accurate. You don't need consultants for this shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Should I add "in my opinion" every time I post something? Maybe throw in a few "in my honest opinion" every now and then, when it becomes necessary to underline that this opinion, unlike all that shit I posted before, is actually an honest one and must be believed?

"In my uninformed and assumptious opinion" ought to do it.

Not necessarily. If you're making a game with a lot of hard sci-fi elements like say, Alpha Centauri (which fucking ruled), then yeah, there's a point to it because it's relevant to the setting and the gameplay. But if you have a purposely over-the-top and ridiculous setting like Wasteland or Fallout, internal consistency is way more important than making sure that there are things that are scientifically accurate. You don't need consultants for this shit.

Even in an over-the-top setting, there still might be enough sciencey bits for consultants to come in handy. Again, remember that this game will quite likely end up having a fuckton of textual content!
Besides, we don't know yet how over-the-top the setting will end up being. It IS possible that Fargo will (gasp) change the setting, toning it down.

Vault Dweller

Developer

"In my uninformed and assumptious opinion" ought to do it.
To have an informed and factual opinion, one would have to be one of Wasteland's lead designers, which leaves everyone who isn't uninformed and assumptious opinions.

Besides, we don't know yet how over-the-top the setting will end up being. It IS possible that Fargo will (gasp) change the setting, toning it down.
Like he did with Scorpitron?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
To have an informed and factual opinion, one would have to be one of Wasteland's lead designers, which leaves everyone who isn't uninformed and assumptious opinions.

No, there is one correct opinion. The opinion that since we don't know shit, all other opinions are wrong. :smug:

That's why I've added "But hey, we really have no fucking clue, go bug MCA!" to each of my conjectures in this thread.

Like he did with Scorpitron?

The new Scorpitron isn't "wacky". It's just different. If you ask me it's the original that looks all colorful and wacky.

Scorpitron.gif

The new one is just a kind of scorpion-shaped robot.

Vault Dweller

Developer
No, it's not just different. It's unrealistic. You want realism - look at Mar's rover. If you read military articles, you'll see that future tanks are moving toward large wheels or a mix of wheels and tracks. Legs are easy to cripple, same goes for the scorpion's tail, btw.

Alex

Arcane
To put it simply, we have already been over all of that.

You simply cant keep up, you are too far behind, you constantly get sidetracked because of your own filter of prejudice and bad thinking that causes. You seem to just assume future development and cannot differentiate between reality and your own wild unsupported conjectures.

Trying to present my conjectures has been my point the whole time. I think I have said more than once that I don't think this spells doom over the whole project, only that it is a move in the wrong direction.

Your expectations are based on argumentum ignorantiims, bad oxy-moron examples, you just suppose a certain approach to the subject always works while the other will always bring bad consequences - and you fail to understand what is directly said to you several times in a row - and then you tell me you want me to explain stuff to you? After i wrote "sure buddy. ill get right on it!"?

My argument is based on my, admittedly possibly flawed understanding of pulp literature. As I see it, this kind of fiction has rawness as a feature. It is both a strength and a weakness of it. I may be wrong here, and I would love it if people can explain me why I am wrong in this. Also, just to make sure I am being understood, I am not saying good pulp fiction goes through no editorial work. Of course good authors check their spelling, make do overs, and even check scientific data to make sure their story works. But compared to other types of fiction, you don't want to gild the lily here. You want to be direct and plain.

I said to VD he just keeps making shit up and then complains about what he just invented - several posts ago. Ive told you you base your nonsense on "things might go wrong - lets panic" logic - yet you claim you dont in some sort of nonsensical answer - and then you go:
This kind of pulp is best when it has minimal editorial intrusion.
Which is just a wild statement completely unsupported by anything at all. In the whole multiverse.
I mean... minimal editorial intrusion can mean many different things you dont specify - and its a conjecture on what and how the work will be applied somewhere in the future - nor can it be said that every pulp setting always benefited from such moronity.(which your statement as it is does claim).

My experience with these may not have been as wide as I have liked. But all good pulp stories I've read have been done quickly and somewhat bluntly. The older short stories were usually made for magazines like weird fiction with very little time and fact checking, and this is where they usually shined. Pulp roleplaying games are frequently laughed at nowadays because of how badly they mess up some stuff. But at the same time, it has a certain raw energy, which I can't imagine surviving in a more worked on story, or game or book. I can't say it has benefitted every setting, of course, I haven't read most of them. But still, my experience with them has been that being raw is part of what makes them pulpy, and unless you can explain to me why I am wrong on this assumption, I don't see any reason to change my mind about it.

and

Too much worrying about making the work something more legitimate, like making sure there are no obvious scientific flaws - can help drive the designer away from his own good points, can shift the focus of the work somewhat to a direction that was never the point of the game or story or whatever it is we are talking about.
Where you again completely fail to understand the most basic statements given by thwacke and Fargo - which claim completely different things (for example "making sure there is no scientific flaws" is completely fabricated by you and VlaDislav) - and then you go on the same old track of "things might go wrong therefore they will go wrong".

I never said they will definitely go wrong. Saying "it is a step in the wrong direction" is different than saying we are doomed. Furthermore, I think it is obvious that, whatever it is that Thwacke is going to do, it will fall on the editorial line of work. Therefore, I see the possibility of they going wrong with it. If Thwacke is very hands off the problem, it might even help a little. Having someone to talk with about stuff in the lunch hour could help the designers come up with interesting scenarios. But then again, so could anyone, if the designer knows how to pay attention.

and thats way, way after i scolded VD (and everyone else) for silly complaints about eventual future execution or implementation of the whole thing, which is argumentum ignorantium - again.
- which you cannot even recognize although you can and do repeatedly.

Sorry, Hiver. You may refuse to try to draw conclusions about how this will work out without knowing all the details, but I certainly won't do that. If I see something that doesn't seem like a good idea, I will explain why I think it isn't a good idea, no matter if the developer knows more than me and thus could see why it is a good idea. We have always done that here in the codex, and I really don't see a reason to stop it.

I said that several pages ago.

Its like talking to a robot running on some simple singular frequency , emitting the same old signal in a constant loop - in an alternative universe where science means bad and nonsensical things.

/

Just wanted you to know that, since you said you cant understand it yourself.

Thanks, I think I know the feeling. The problem, Hiver, is that you haven't addressed the premise I created at all. Instead half of the time you go off in ad hominems and other times you are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill of what I said. Our major point of disagreement seems to be that you read their comment about remaining minimal and being sure they will be smart enough to avoid changing the type of fiction of the game, whereas I am not so sure. Which is fine, but does nothing to convince me.

That doesn't affect IF you should put scientific correctness in, just where you can stick it.

I am not so sure, DraQ. It seems to me that once you begin worrying about this, you begin to put into this type of fiction a concern about world building that wasn't there in first place. World building in Pulpy tales is usually haphazard, and things don't always make too much sense when put together. Once you start to worry about that (and minor fact checking is a worry about that, even if it isn't such a big one), most tales seem to drift to a different mode, no longer so raw and plain, but more worked over and sophisticated.

Ok, so maybe pulpy isn't the word, but it is to the highest degree absurd. It's a game where your party is joined by an alcoholic balding superhero (spandex, cape and all) who punches shit with comic-like effects, and that's after it's been joined by a pathologically democratic, planet (shrunk to roughly your size). It's a game where your spaceship gets captured by a comicbook supervillain and all narration switches to fucking bubbles.It's a game where there are relics from the previous big bang and big crunch cycle that give people magic powers.

It's far more absurd and fucked up than anything you could find in Fallout series or Wizardry 6 through 8.

And yet, its WTF moments (most of the game) mesh perfectly well with both scientifically hard and dramatic ones.

Sure, I am not saying this kind of story can't be fun. It is just that they are a different type of stories.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some of us don't see ourselves as being entirely helpless and incompetent outside of our particular areas of expertise

HURR DURR. And maybe some of use don't see ourselves as all-knowing geniuses and can accept that there are people who are better than us at some things and can benefit from their knowledge. Your comparison with looking up on internet what to do when you cut yourself is fucking retarded. Nobody is talking about some fucking basic shit like that.

Reality is boring, unfortunately. So, either the scientists will make shit up, which will be no different than what concept artists do (who know better what games need and what works), or they will stick with reality, which like I said, wouldn't bring anything interesting to the table.

Ever watched one of those documentaries about possible alien life? Made up alien life, but made up to be biologically possible*. Same thing could be made for creatures in a post-nuclear world. No, not specifically W2. I understand W2's setting, right now I'm arguing against your belief that it's irrelevant or bad in ANY game. And just like with biologically possible creatures, there a hell of a lot of things that scientists could help with.

*And no, this is shit that not even a fucking internet genius like almondblight could come up with from reading Wikipedia articles.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's unrealistic.

Unrealistic != "wacky and over the top"

It's a Scorpion-bot. You know how there are Spider-bots in countless sci-fi themed games?

I would say that's less original and wacky than a colorful scorpion-shaped tank on treads.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Reality is boring, unfortunately. So, either the scientists will make shit up, which will be no different than what concept artists do (who know better what games need and what works), or they will stick with reality, which like I said, wouldn't bring anything interesting to the table.

Ever watched one of those documentaries about possible alien life? Made up alien life, but made up to be biologically possible*.
Biologically possible based on fucking what?

There is a reason why there are many conflicting theories on the possible alien life forms. The reason is simple - we don't know. We don't even know how exactly we evolved or what monkeys we've evolved from (see the missing link in human evolution) and why.

kazgar

Arcane
I just read all 14 pages of this in one go:retarded:

Can't wait until Fargo announces they're consulting with programmers to create wasteland gameplay, it'll be off the charts.

I just read all 14 pages of this in one go:retarded:

See, if you had hired a consultant you wouldn't have to.

edit:

Just like talking to Bethesda fans. You say anything critical about Fallout 3 (when it was in development) and everyone runs to their battle stations and start typing "you just want it to be like Fallout 1 this is not 1995 anymore go play Fallout 1 if you like it so much!!!"

Indeed, the popamole is strong here. Look at the different sides of the argument:

Pro-consultants: We need a quest compass scientists to figure things out for us!
Skeptics: Fuck that, we'll learn what we need to and figure it out ourselves! :obviously:

Let's be democratic and make both sides can look retarded

Pro-consultants: Having someone you can ask about complicated stuff when in doubt can't hurt!
Skeptics: Who cares, just make shit up look up wikipedia! If it sounds stupid, just say it's wacky and whimsical!

DraQ

Arcane

Morons: Science consultants are like quest compass! :retarded:

Edit:
Also:

Derpy and over the top:
800px-Wasteland_scorpitron_2_0_by_andreewallin-d4w6776.jpg

Monocle realistic stuff:
WL_ani_226.gif

I wonder if VD even listens to himself these days.
:hearnoevil:

almondblight

Arcane
HURR DURR. And maybe some of use don't see ourselves as all-knowing geniuses and can accept that there are people who are better than us at some things and can benefit from their knowledge.

If you take this...

Some of us don't see ourselves as being entirely helpless and incompetent outside of our particular areas of expertise. It doesn't mean that we hate the experts in other areas; it just means that we don't feel the need to go crying to them all the time.
...as meaning that I am some all knowing genius and I'm better than everyone else and can't benefit from their knowledge, then I kind of see your point. If I had non-existant reading comprehension skills I'd probably need other people to help me with every damn thing in life too.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
We don't even know how exactly we evolved or what monkeys we've evolved from (see the missing link in human evolution) and why.
Erm, no. Human evolution is solved since ca. 1980.
Next time, you might want to consult a scientist before you embarrass yourself like that again :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yeah, there are absolutely no unresolved issues of any kinds with the theory of evolution. It's rock-fucking-solid.

Esquilax

Arcane
Morons: Science consultants are like quest compass! :retarded:

It was a joke.

Look, I really don't care about the consultant thing too much, but I just don't see why people are defending this so strongly. It's a silly, over-the-top setting, that's part of the charm. I'm not saying I want a bunch of stupid theme park bullshit a la Fallout 3 with all its nonsense, I'm just saying that internal consistency and interesting, imaginative world-building is way more important than requiring science consultants in a game with an inherently over-the-top setting.

And well, that picture of the Scorpitron is insanely over-the-top. That's why it rules. It's a Scorpion armed with chainguns, for fuck's sake!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom