Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by tormund, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I disagree with a bunch of things to a varying degree, but when it comes to this:

We must be playing different games. The boss fights in this game are completely pathetic, there's not a single one yet that I wouldn't beat by just running in circles around the boss and unloading max crossbow autofire while they can't even attack back. Except the dropship, I guess, but that one instead had a Half-Life 2 style 'crate o' infinite ammo' which was just as bad.

Build engine games never had particularly good boss fights anyway, but I'll take cerberus or the werewolf cultists from Blood any day over this.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Rated "Agree" for this bit, as the only Build-engine boss fight that actually presented a challenge is the cheesy fight with the Alien Queen in the Plutonium Pak-episode of Duke Nukem 3D.

But hey! At least the Build-engine bosses tried to be bosses, anyone remember the final boss in Blood 2? Aim minigun, unload, win game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Carls Barkley Safav Hamon The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    You can count the number of good FPS bosses on one hand.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf
    Disagree on the final boss on Maximum Fury. A giant arena with lots of hitscanners, pure chaos, almost no cover, and silent enemies that can kill you in one second. As mentioned, the flying terminators are the worst offenders, often hiding in corners (wouldn't be surprised if it's a pathfinding issue), hard to see, and silently sending a deadly barrage of homing missiles your way. They are a high priority target and should have been made big, loud and flashy. I died too many times during this fight without knowing what even happened. Things seem to go smoothly and suddenly I'm dead. The best strategy for me - other than cheesing it from the air ducts - was to stay on the outer ring, kill everything in my path, and hope to spot the terminators before they attack me. Then clean up the rest below with bowling bombs. Repeat.

Otherwise it's mainly the first two episodes that I found a bit tiresome due to large open areas. The Loverboy is the most useful tool there. Problem is its secondary mode is not 100% reliable. Sometimes it won't get a lock, even over short distances. I'm not sure if there even is a distance cap. It feels janky. And I don't like the concept of it anyway. The office building and later the countryside episode with the mansion, garden and cemetery are my favorite parts of the game. They may not look as impressive as the first few levels, but the smaller spaces are more fun to fight in. And there are still lots of details, fake lighting effects, destructables, sunset and night skyboxes. Good variety. Most of the weapons remain useful, even the Clusterpuck. Just one in red mode can clear a room. The shotgun is still the worst, though. I mostly use it to clean up spiders and zombies. The Chaingun is also a bit weak for my taste, satisfying only in combination with Super Damage. And the bow is ... weird. Considering how powerful it is with its penetrating bolts it sounds and feels deceptively weak, like a cheap plastic toy. It's a problem with some of the other weapons too.

I tried to find more secrets this time. While many of them are cleverly hidden and sometimes satisfying to figure out, a few are either too cryptic or total bs. Like, go through this solid looking wall with no indication that you can to find one piece of SMG ammo. Thanks. I doubt anyone will find everything without a walkthrough. But you can always go back and dissect empty maps, if you really want to. Sometimes you have to progress further into the level to open a path back to a previous section. Points of no return are clearly marked. Just be careful re-entering Heskel's House of Horrors. There is currently a bug that could reset that level. And worse, if you then turn around and go back to Knee Deep again it will reset that map as well and lock the door.

Still a nice game overall. Feels like a genuine passion project.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Black Plague Learned

Black Plague
    <sigh>
    The ion bow's secondary mode is selective fire. You can shoot anything between one to five shots depending on how long you keep the button pressed. So far I haven't seen anyone use it like that except accidentally.

Thock-Thock-Thock-Thock-Thock - five shots
    Thock-Thock - two shots

Got that?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine

• decline decline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    this game sure loves fucking sewer levels i swear

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    But what about warehouses?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    plenty of those too

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    So it will be a nude mod for shelly or not?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :nocountryforshitposters:

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Goi~Yaas~Dinn Savant

Goi~Yaas~Dinn
    Tommy Lee Jones would support a nude mod, you know.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. otsego Arbiter

otsego
    I gotta echo what some posters have said here: playing on max difficult is the only way to play this.

I beat it on ultra violence and went back to the start on max fury and it's a totally different game. Gittin Gud has also helped; I am no longer creeping corner but rather running and gunning and using all weapons. And I'm basically at full ammo and armor count unlike on my first tries where I was struggling to keep the pistol full. It is so much more fun.

I do anticipate extreme bullshit in certain areas where they threw it on UV... but I digress.

Shitty boss battles but excellent game.

^ Top  
  14. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    Your expectations of extreme bullshit will be outperformed multiple times. The AI is completely abhorrent on max diff. The big flier rocketeers will shove their ass in the darkest, most distant corner of the map and then proceed to silently fire their homing missiles at you from absurd ranges. I'm talking about literally outside of rendering distance due to engine shading.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/1612774139441121875

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Buddha be praised, I finally finished this. What a slog it turned out to be.

Definitely not something I'll be playing again, and whoever claims that it's any close to the classic build engine games is delusional or hasn't played them for 20 years. You ask me, it's barely just competent.

My two biggest gripes with it are probably that:

1. It's utterly devoid of any character or flare. The enemies are generic and forgettable. The guns are generic and forgettable barring the double fire uzis, which might just be the only weapon that is actually fun (ok the grenade launcher is too but it's also just a generic grenade launcher). The levels are generic and forgettable no matter how big and expansive or whatever they may be.
    2. It doesn't add anything of worth to the build engine formula apart from mostly pointless gimmicks (look at muh voxels and headshots) and downright bizarre annoyances (RELOADING) while at the same time actually stripping it of stuff (inventory).

Plenty of other crap that I thought was bad too, but which I can't be bothered to mention.

Actually one more thing to mention - the final bossfight was like a more tardo version of Doom 2's Icon of Sin.

• Brofist x 7
    • Disagree x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    The boss fight was the quintessence of a slog. But until then I found the game to be quite brilliant. Still not as good as Blood, but better than Duke 3D.

• Participation Award x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Difficulty-wise Ion Fury may be more fair than something like Blood being a kick in the balls in the form of a videogame, but that bullshit also makes me prefer Blood over Ion Fury by a hundred miles because in order to persevere in Blood I have to make the absolute most out of every single item, mechanic, and weapon at my disposal. Blood may be incredibly bullshit with its hitscanners that you basically have to memorize your path through a level, but creating and executing that route felt godly satisfying (when you aren't being a savescumming casual). The boundaries the difficulty pushed you towards, the many levels which would fuck you over in many different ways, and the many options you were given to tackle them all facilitated a sense of creativity in the player.

Meanwhile in Ion Fury, from start to finish it's nothing but popamoling around corners and scoring headshots with the Ion Bow or Shotgun or Revolver, throwing bombs around corners to easily kill enemies, and stunlocking heavy enemies with the minigun. Scoring headshots and using explosives for enemies around corners is already the most optimal way to play, and the game is too tame difficulty-wise to force you on a regular basis to vary up your playstyle for the sake of survival. It doesn't help that all the items, weapons, and power-ups in Ion Fury are straightforward as hell and don't allow for a lot of creativity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    Maybe if I could find the sprite sheets.

• Salute Salute x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Patch is out!

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf
    I'd like to thank Voidpoint for reminding me to always wait a few months before buying and playing new games.
    :greatjob:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    :lol::lol::lol:

well now I'm glad I finished this before they "fixed" it :lol:

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. geno Learned

geno
    Mods will fix it. Anyway, there is a no reload mod already.

^ Top  
  24. Mikeal Cipher

Mikeal
    Finist it today. Pretty great game, but final boss was bullshit, fuck those hitscanning assholes.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    1. Sounds like I made the right call by dropping it after the first episode.

2. You should have listened to me a month ago?

• Disagree x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.