Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is BioWare the new Bethesda?

curry

Arcane
Bethesda made good games in the past but then they made Oblivion which was a disgusting turd and Skyrim doesn't look much better either. Needless to say, Bethesda went from a respectable company to a bunch of faggots who make shitty games and ruin other people's IPs (Fallout).

Now, BioWare used to make good games in the past too, however, now they only make Awesome Button tunnel runners.

Is it time to kiss BioWare goodbye yet? :salute:

Relay

Educated
curry said:
Bethesda made good games in the past but then they made Oblivion which was a disgusting turd and Skyrim doesn't look much better either. Needless to say, Bethesda went from a respectable company to a bunch of faggots who make shitty games and ruin other people's IPs (Fallout).

Now, BioWare used to make good games in the past too, however, now they only make Awesome Button tunnel runners.

Is it time to kiss BioWare goodbye yet? :salute:

Bethesda games are still better RPGs than biowhore interactive movies. There is a degree of freedom, of what you can do in those games that can't be compared. I love to play rogues and you can't do anything like sneaking, stealing or killing in DA2 or ME. There is nothing that redeems bioware games nowadays but I find that there is always a small amount of good stuff even in the worst Bethesda games. Like the dark brotherhood questline in Oblivion.

Not to mention all classes are more or less the same, swapping just a few special talents they are all centered toward pure actiony combat, mages in DA2 are boring as fuck and the only difference between rogues and warriors are that rogue deal more damage vs 1 person and warriors deal AOE.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Bethesda then: sentences are hard. BioWare then: sentences are cool.
Bethesda now: sentences are cool. BioWare now: sentences are hard.

So yes, pretty much.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bioware's games were never even close to being as good as Bethesda's games used to be.

However, I think there's a crucial difference between the two: Bethesda is just hopelessly inept and juvenile but still tries (but doesn't know how), Bioware is utterly retarded and proud of it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Relay said:
Bethesda games are still better RPGs than biowhore interactive movies. There is a degree of freedom, of what you can do in those games that can't be compared. I love to play rogues and you can't do anything like sneaking, stealing or killing in DA2 or ME. There is nothing that redeems bioware games nowadays but I find that there is always a small amount of good stuff even in the worst Bethesda games. Like the dark brotherhood questline in Oblivion.

Exactly, Bethesda games are at least still focusing on being games. The dialogue and story and characters are mostly retarded from Oblivion onward, and the gameplay is ruined by shit design decisions like level scaling, but it's still there, and Bethesda uses combat and exploration and world size to hype their games. They might be shit games, but they're still games.

The new Bioware shit like ME series and DA2 are more like interactive movies with filler combat in linear corridors and "heartwarming" romances, and not even the fanboys and -girls care about the gameplay at all, as long as it has CUTE CHARACTERS TO ROMANCE AWWW.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Not really.

Old Bethesda were a company with lots and lots of ambition, ambition that spread throughout their titles: story, setting, scale and gameplay. Really more ambition than they could feasibly put into their titles (as evidenced mostly by Daggerfall).

New Bethesda do sill have some ambition, at least in the scale of their titles (and if using the rest of the industry as a bench-mark), but almost none when it comes to story, setting or gameplay (as has been often noted these are mostly going backwards). They also suffer from a seeming lack of talent. When considered in isolation most of their gameplay elements are bland or broken, but they try and rely on the game being more than a sum of its parts.

Bioware, on the other hand, used to be a maker of soap-opera RPGs with some romance overtones. Now they make romance action games, with some soap-opera overtones. They've not really changed all that much.

hanssolo

Educated
Bethesda used to be good for what it was ( Daggerfall and Arena are fun aRPG dungeoncrawlers and Morrowind is an explorefags dream). Bioware nearly reached mediocrity with BG2 (and how close they came) and then proceeded to make shitty game after shitty game.

Angthoron

Arcane
Thread needs more vitriol, therefore:

They're just different sides of the same coin made of shit.

bethesda: "im looking for my father. middle aged guy"

bioware: collargrabing shephard vs. "i wannt to be a DRAGOON"

bio takes it easily. derpness of f3 and oblivion is still miles ahead of the worst bio title. deal with it haters :smug:

Bruticis

Looking at my list (this is just the RPG genre, mind you), we have this:

Elder Scrolls 1, The: Arena 1994 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 2, The: Daggerfall 1996 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls Legend, An: Battlespire 1997 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 3, The: Morrowind 2002 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 3, The: Tribunal 2002 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 3, The: Bloodmoon 2003 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 4, The: Oblivion 2006 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 4, The: Shivering Isles 2007 Bethesda Softworks
Fallout 3 2008 Bethesda Softworks
vs.
Baldur's Gate 1 1998 Bioware
Baldur's Gate 1: Tales of the Sword Coast 1999 Bioware
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn 2000 Bioware
Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal 2001 Bioware
Neverwinter Nights 1 2002 Bioware
Neverwinter Nights 1: Shadows of Undrentide 2003 Bioware
Neverwinter Nights 1: Hordes of the Underdark 2003 Bioware
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2003 Bioware
Jade Empire: Special Edition 2007 Bioware
Mass Effect 1 2007 Bioware
Dragon Age 1: Origins 2009 Bioware
Dragon Age 1: Origins - Awakening 2010 Bioware
Dragon Age 2 2011 Bioware
Mass Effect 2 2010 Bioware

Not exactly the pinnacle of gaming greatness, if you ask me, for either company. There were far better developers out there then these two (SSI, Origin, New World Computing, etc.). TLDR, Bioware & Bethesda were never as good as they were given credit for.

azc

Novice
Bioware are just desperate for an Uwe Boll movie deal

Destroid

Arcane
Bruticis said:
Elder Scrolls 1, The: Arena 1994 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 2, The: Daggerfall 1996 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls Legend, An: Battlespire 1997 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 3, The: Morrowind 2002 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 3, The: Tribunal 2002 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 3, The: Bloodmoon 2003 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 4, The: Oblivion 2006 Bethesda Softworks
Elder Scrolls 4, The: Shivering Isles 2007 Bethesda Softworks
Fallout 3 2008 Bethesda Softworks
vs.
Baldur's Gate 1 1998 Bioware
Baldur's Gate 1: Tales of the Sword Coast 1999 Bioware
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn 2000 Bioware
Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal 2001 Bioware
Neverwinter Nights 1 2002 Bioware
Neverwinter Nights 1: Shadows of Undrentide 2003 Bioware
Neverwinter Nights 1: Hordes of the Underdark 2003 Bioware
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2003 Bioware
Jade Empire: Special Edition 2007 Bioware
Mass Effect 1 2007 Bioware
Dragon Age 1: Origins 2009 Bioware
Dragon Age 1: Origins - Awakening 2010 Bioware
Dragon Age 2 2011 Bioware
Mass Effect 2 2010 Bioware

I've only put a decent amount of time into a couple of these, Morrowind was the best for me.

Erzherzog

Magister
I dunno, both companies had frightening deviants in their mod communities, but I think only BioWare chooses to cater to them to the point that their entire fanbase is frightening deviants.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Wtf is this shit? You know where you're posting right? Codex said fuck off to Bioware since 1998. I don't know where this shit is coming from. What is this shitty thread?

/imposing normative conduct

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think the key thing that separates the two is that BioWare games are often good for what they are - hold them up as serious RPGs and they fall apart, but as simple action-RPGs with fun gameplay and entertaining, fluffy stories, they're usually alright. There are definite exceptions of course, but most of their games fall into that category for me. Meanwhile, Bethesda have huge ambition and set out to make awesome games, but completely and utterly fail. Take your pick between ruined potential and no potential but good execution... personally I find there's at least a few things I can latch on to in both.

Bruticis

Destroid said:
I've only put a decent amount of time into a couple of these, Morrowind was the best for me.
Me too and I'm not saying these games are bad, just that I don't think either Bioware or Bethesda are even worthy of being discussed a premier CRPG developer.

I used to say that Bioware weren't in the same league of shittyness as Bethesda, and that they at least produced decent popcorn 'epic' rpgs, as derivative and simple as they were.

But these days? Look, I'm still no Bethesda fan - I hated Oblivion, and even thought Morrowind was overrated (oddly enough I had fun playing FO3 until I got to the godawful main quest, which I couldn't bring myself to finish - stuff like the automated man quest was and the Tenpenny towers v ghouls were pretty cool though).

But right now you would NEVER hear a Bethesda person with enough seniority to do an interview suggest with seriousness how great it would be if you could have the option of skipping the game part of the game, and just 'play' through the cutscenes and romance dialogue. Sure, they might have furry fans, but they don't seem to be hiring them onto their writing team just yet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Bethesda is much better than Bioware, sure they develop boring hiking sims and raped the symbol of my childhood but at least they aren't a bunch of perverts.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I still insist that both Oblivion and Bethout were due to ineptitude, not malice/retardation. I think they honestly tried their best but were simply way out of their league.

Besides, Bethesda did a pretty bro thing by letting Obsidian make New Vegas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom