Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is BioWare the new Bethesda?

.Sigurd

Educated
Sordid Jester said:
sser said:
You can be sincere and still market your product. The two are not exclusive from one another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg - Bethesda's sincerity.
It's just me or the video redirects to Youtube mainpage?

edit: nevermind, I managed to make it work now. For a momment I thought they censored the video because of the hype they are trying to build for Skyrim.

DraQ

Arcane
Relay said:
Mastermind said:
Sordid Jester said:
sser said:
You can be sincere and still market your product. The two are not exclusive from one another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?=pjbx6-KQoRg - Bethesda's sincerity.

That falls under incompetence, not dishonesty.

They did have a prototype, it just was too buggy and they had to rip most of the radiant off to make a releasable game, it's not really dishonesty. Something like Dragon Age 2 on the other hand is pure, total dishonesty, an actiony button mashing game masquerading as the successor of something that at least tried a bit to look like a RPG.
>> :M <<

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Not exactly the pinnacle of gaming greatness, if you ask me, for either company. There were far better developers out there then these two (SSI, Origin, New World Computing, etc.)."

Complete and utter bullshit. Let's take SSI as one example. They ar eonly known for their mass of D&D games - half of which were absolute dreck. Theyw erer so repetvie and unoriginal that the series started to bomb and damn near totally destroyed the D7D market... until BIO came swoopinjg in to save the day. Nowadays, SSI is nothing. Theri agmes were absolutely emdcore to the oint that theyw ere only about combat and leveling up your aprty. That's it. WOW.

BIO's games are vastly more varied than that shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
By varied. I mean varied. Unless you plan to argue that MDK2 is just like BG2.

R00fles!

Bruticis

Everything Bioware does is just a cookie cutter design from their previous titles. You know you're going to have a romantic interest (or two), you know you're going to have evil henchmen that screw you, some silly plot twists, etc. Maybe they present them in a slightly different way and in a new engine but at it's core it's the same thing. How is that any worse then what you're accusing SSI of?
I don't hate any of Bioware's (except for DA2) games and I own and have played them all. Maybe SSI wasn't a fantastic example but why Bioware is so highly rated as the undisputed CRPG god is beyond me.

Volly! He doth live! What happened to you on the BioBoards after that moderator threatened to rape you for not being patriotic or whatever it was (haven't seen you in the epic 2100 (yes, two thousand one hundred) page Anders thread, including horny creampie stuff), and how did you enjoy DA2 Legacy? Excited about Felicia in Mask of the Assassin DLC?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bruticis said:
Everything Bioware does is just a cookie cutter design from their previous titles. You know you're going to have a romantic interest (or two), you know you're going to have evil henchmen that screw you, some silly plot twists, etc. Maybe they present them in a slightly different way and in a new engine but at it's core it's the same thing. How is that any worse then what you're accusing SSI of?
I don't hate any of Bioware's (except for DA2) games and I own and have played them all. Maybe SSI wasn't a fantastic example but why Bioware is so highly rated as the undisputed CRPG god is beyond me.
There is indeed a reason for nicknames like Korgarous Wrexwind.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everything Bioware does is just a cookie cutter design from their previous titles. You know you're going to have a romantic interest (or two), you know you're going to have evil henchmen that screw you, some silly plot twists, etc. Maybe they present them in a slightly different way and in a new engine but at it's core it's the same thing. How is that any worse then what you're accusing SSI of?
I don't hate any of Bioware's (except for DA2) games and I own and have played them all. Maybe SSI wasn't a fantastic example but why Bioware is so highly rated as the undisputed CRPG god is beyond me."

Nice of you to ignore my example. The argyument that all BIO games are the same cookie cutter shit is retarted when you have two vary deffierent games like MDK2 and BG2.

SSI makes the same shit almost literally. BIO's games tend to have superficial simialrities.

The big reason why SSI no longer matters is because they stuck with the same shit and pooed it into the ground while BIO threw the IE in the dirt pile and went in a different direction meanwhile BIS/INTERPLAY were so desperate to hang out they absued the engine with IWD2 and it go them fuck all.

BIO sticks with the same thing repeatedly? BG2 and NWN. BG2 fcosued on solely on a sp campaign while MP/toolset was BIO's main focus. Even the two campaigns are different focuses 9quality and favorite aside) as BG2 was a personal story with epic roances while NWN OC was an old skool where the PC was just some random adventure with very little if any romance. FUCK YEAH!

So this bullshit that BIO only makes carbon copies with their games is utter fuck. Let's fukkin' notforget JE which is a full fledge action rpg, Sonic RPG which was a cutesy TURN BASED game, etc., etc. FFS

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:44 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Volly! He doth live! What happened to you on the BioBoards after that moderator threatened to rape you for not being patriotic or whatever it was (haven't seen you in the epic 2100 (yes, two thousand one hundred) page Anders thread, including horny creampie stuff), and how did you enjoy DA2 Legacy? Excited about Felicia in Mask of the Assassin DLC?"

I don't really post on the BIo forums plus I didn't have intetrentz for a few weeks til last.

Anders is old newz.

I haven't played it. I'm not a huge fan of DLC. I have purchased some in the past when bored and whatnot but not a huge priorty.

I'm neutral on 'Feleicia'. I don't hate her but I'm, not some huge fan of hers either.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Even Bethesda's worst hiking sim is still a video game. Bioware makes shitty romance movies now. Fucking cunts.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Even though hearing Bioware design philosophy is definitely more painful, I still find their games more enjoyable compared to Bethesda games. One good thing about Bethesda is that they continue to provide great construction sets for all their games.

Stinger

Arcane
Dragon Age 2 is awful, yes, but it wasn't the utter trainwreck that was Oblivion imo. Maybe I'm just projecting Oblivion's awfulness and if I go back and replay it, it'll probably turn out to not be as bad as I remember but man that game was horrible and I don't think DA2 was on that level of awfulness.

It's probably the main reason I don't think Bioware is worse than Beth. Skyrim looks like an even dumber version of Oblivion with the stupidity of Radiant AI applied to the story as well. Fallout 3 was an improvement over Oblivion and an alright game on its own but a really shitty sequel to Fallout 1 and 2. I don't think Bioware's ever really done games that have inspired that kind of hatred from me.

A user named cat

PfNFIl.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Stinger said:
Dragon Age 2 is awful, yes, but it wasn't the utter trainwreck that was Oblivion imo. Maybe I'm just projecting Oblivion's awfulness and if I go back and replay it, it'll probably turn out to not be as bad as I remember but man that game was horrible and I don't think DA2 was on that level of awfulness.

It's probably the main reason I don't think Bioware is worse than Beth. Skyrim looks like an even dumber version of Oblivion with the stupidity of Radiant AI applied to the story as well. Fallout 3 was an improvement over Oblivion and an alright game on its own but a really shitty sequel to Fallout 1 and 2. I don't think Bioware's ever really done games that have inspired that kind of hatred from me.
I'd say Oblivion is way better than Dragon Age 2. Oblivion is a shitty game, but you can see it's shitty only because the guys making it simply lacked the skill and talent to live up to what they set out to make. DA2 on the other hand is shit by design, and it revels in it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Here is the always handy Shit-O-Meter v2.0
Code:
|-- Shit - - - - - - - - - - - -|-Less Shitty------------|Shit but not as shitty as Less Shitty ----------|
       |                         |                                   |
Bethesda                         Bioware                           Obsidian

corvus

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Here is the always handy Skyway Vision™
Code:
|-- Shit - - - - - - - - - - - -|-Less Shitty------------|Shit but not as shitty as Less Shitty ----------|-------Still Shit-------|
       |                         |                                   |
Bethesda                         Bioware                           Obsidian                                       Everyone else

A never ending ocean of shit.

EDIT: Fixed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom