Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is BT4's funding level a disappointment for inXile?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Maybe they should finish Torment first and make sure it won't be another mess like Wasteland 2,maybe then people would give them more money.I don't know what you people think but this Fargo seems to be like every other hack in the industry,he doesn't give a shit about quality ,he just wants quantity.
If they were smart they would have made Wasteland 2 a true gem but instead we got a half finished game.

m_s0

Arcane
I expected at least 2 milion prior to the Kickstarter launching, but with a pretty nebulous pitch and fairly forgotten, niche game to base the campaign on what they got still isn't that bad. Can't imagine Fargo wasn't prepared for this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wow it looks like this might set a record for the lamest end to a successful campaign.

I'm sure the blob purists are thrilled they get their entirely-fpp combat. Which means I'll now go back to ignoring this, later.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I expected at least 2 milion prior to the Kickstarter launching, but with a pretty nebulous pitch and fairly forgotten, niche game to base the campaign on what they got still isn't that bad. Can't imagine Fargo wasn't prepared for this.

That's why he stated in advance that he'd stump up half the cash(in reality he'll stump up as much as needed). The KS is basically a way of advertising and getting extra income through effectively preorders at the same time for inXile.

Kz3r0

Arcane
My take on the whole campaign.
I stand by what I wrote previously, two millions and half was the real goal, below that is a disppointment, below two millions is almost a failure.
What is disconcerting is how they dropped the ball on the game and concentrated more on social media, by a sales 101 point of view this campaign was a huge success, the weakest IP in Fargo's portfolio that was used to get thousands of e-mail adresses and facebook profiles, in case anyone is wondering there is a lucrative market for that, Fargo got it all for free, and the fidelization of previous backers, managing to have tens of thousand pledging to any Kickstarter is nothing to sneeze at.
By the way we gauged how much is worth the Fargo brand, one million and half on his own, not bad.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Well, I'm still disappointed, but what can I say about a site where retards waste their money on Twitcher, Darks Souls and Dragon Ages instead of good games.

1db80c318e8a9130d94dd0759478e9b3_original.jpg

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Bard's Tale would never have done well because it's basically "we're making a blobber"!

I tend to believe similarly now. Even when someone starts a Wizardry 9 or a Wizards & Warriors 2 kickstarter - I doubt it'll fund with much more than 1 million. There are the couple of Wizardry fans here, but that's just because it's the Codex. Outside it's like: "... heard from it... but now I'll go back playing <insertAnyIsometricRpg>"

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I didn't pledge to this at all.. My kickstarter honey moon phase is over.

Every time I see a pledge tier my first thought is "oh wow that sounds cool and only 250K more to hit it"

immediately followed by "think about the worst possible way this could be implemented then half ass that"

The Kickstarter Tier Implementation Formula
GoodConcept / Balance - (Effort * Time) = PoE Garrison

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, this campaign was boring, if you aren't a fan of blobbers, there wasn't anything in there that turn you on one and even if you are fan of blobbers there is nothing in there that can make you think InXile will make a good one. Jesus, those updates about Scotland, social media and that stuff before you had an idea if you were interested in the game in the first place were just so boring.

Zeronet

Learned
Still waiting for the 48 hour rush. Could still have a great last 2 days. Every other kickstarter has, what makes this one different?
All the day 1 and day 2 bonuses
It is a bit detrimental. I pledged 20 dollars after the early incentives were announced, but then I removed my pledge because so much of the game's design was still in the air. Pledging again would feel like a step back.

Same here, lured by the incentives, changed my mind and i'm just not interested enough to pledge again.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It did extremely well for a blobber imho. The campaign was kind of meh, not as well run as the TTON KS but overall good enough for this type of game.

roshan

Arcane
The campaign was total shit. And it was fucking boring too with all the social media bullshit. I'm guessing with proper announcement of mechanics, interesting lore and system updates, they could have probably raked in another half million, at least.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I expect Fargo will add more money to make the game better as it will be needed. After all he did it for WL2 development. WL2DC will get more sales on PC, and probably on consoles as well and I am sure TToN will get lots of sales if PoE did. It will have similar quality of graphics and animations and superior writing. Only turn based combat might turn off some of the more casual crowd that bought and played PoE.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The campaign was total shit. And it was fucking boring too with all the social media bullshit. I'm guessing with proper announcement of mechanics, interesting lore and system updates, they could have probably raked in another half million, at least.

Yeah it just sounds like there's a general lack of vision for the game or something. Hopefully that's not the case and the blobber fans end up enjoying it but I can't help but be skeptical about it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Yeah it just sounds like there's a general lack of vision for the game or something. Hopefully that's not the case and the blobber fans end up enjoying it but I can't help but be skeptical about it.

The effort is definitely less then before. Kickstarter is becoming less and less about developers needing a few bucks to make a dream happen and more about grabbing some quick cash to lower dev costs.

It's basically Pre-Order ++ without the potential for refunding or any promises to hold the devs to. Seriously - I don't know why EA hasn't hopped on this band wagon yet unless they know their PR is so deep in the toilet that nobody would give them a cent.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I came to think that in the end it wasn't so disappointing. They can always get more cash via paypal in the future and Kickstarter continues to be a great way of presenting the early development of games to those interested.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't know how many e-mails I got about this fucking game. Fuck inxile. Wasteland: 2 was a shit game, and I'm not giving them a penny anymore through Kickstarter. Release the game, I'll look at Let's Play videos, etc. and make a decision. Fargo is a bullshitter.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

:M

Am I doing it right? Something about my post just doesn't scream dick-head, though. Teach me the ways of this faggy, exclusive club that points out join dates for no apparent reason. :hahano:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom