Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Is Deadfire fun to play as a Wizard in?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
"Is Deadfire fun to play"

1687121589293.png

Delterius

Arcane
played as a priest and then as a wizard. with the latter i had the most fun focusing on debuffs at first and then conjured weapons for the longest time. but really wizards are about a breadth of options. sometimes nukes win the day, even early on. wizard has a solution to every problem and are a fun class to play. vaporous grimoire gives them a lot of staying power. and blood mage goes beyond even that. compared to priest i found wizard to be more fun from the start, while the other casters are much more focused in what they do best.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
The problem with wizardry in Deadfire is that multiclasses are all so much more fun (and generally stronger) than pure. A druid/wizard is a better blaster than a pure wizard, a fighter/wizard is probably the best tank in the game, a rogue/wizard has psychotic DPS, and so on.

The problem with wizardry in Deadfire is that multiclasses are all so much more fun (and generally stronger) than pure. A druid/wizard is a better blaster than a pure wizard, a fighter/wizard is probably the best tank in the game, a rogue/wizard has psychotic DPS, and so on.
multiclassing was a mistake, tbh, on any rpg it's been implemented on. prestige classes are acceptable, but the 3.x model sucks imo. it just turns into an excel spreadsheet simulator. see pathfinder build threads and the like.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Wizard is one of the few classes that can be perfectly competitive without multiclassing, these fags don't know what they're talking about, that being said multiclassing him with other stuff is also fun - if I'm not mistaken the mathematically most tanky tank build is a fighter wizard combo.

ferratilis

Magister
I don't know how it is for solo play, but I enjoyed playing as a single class Evoker, glass cannon build, hiding behind a tank. All those fireball and missile spells do a lot of damage. Plus it's a lot of fun.

For grimoires, go with either Ninagauth's Teachings or Vaporous Wizardry.

Delterius

Arcane

Wizard and any caster really pairs well with Chanters and Psions, at the very least. But I actually don't care to multiclass as Priests and Wizards. Your higher level spells and PLs being maxed means you'll be destroying those DLC bosses.

Like everything in PoE, its just "meh". Deadfire spells are even weaker than in PoE, but having them be per encounter takes away some of that sting. They're still mostly the same spells, which leaves much to be desired.

Cipher is a better way to go, as it packs more punch and options due to it being Soyers pet class. I think I multiclassed the cipher subclass with passive focus gain and a bloodmage to pretty good effect. I could rotate between each and have a fairly inexhaustible spells per encounter.

Shaki

Arbiter
multiclassing was a mistake, tbh, on any rpg it's been implemented on. prestige classes are acceptable, but the 3.x model sucks imo. it just turns into an excel spreadsheet simulator.

That's precisely what makes it good. If I don't have to spend hours planning my build, then the game has a shit system.

Delterius

Arcane
Like everything in PoE, its just "meh". Deadfire spells are even weaker than in PoE
tbh i found the right spell to sometimes win encounters on their own. noxious blast against naga archers, chill fog against most humans, weapon conjurations with aoe damage, and so on. late game its even more absurd, with the right items you'll be nuking bosses dead with one or two casts. the whole 'magic is not so powerful anymore' has been overhyped garbage since 3E.

@Deliterius I imagine that you're correct. Whatever it is I just can't stay invested in the game long enough to get a satisfying build. I just don't enjoy most of the spell and class design. It makes me quite sad. I want to like these games.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
avoid this game franchise if ure an RPG veteran
What game franchise should be expanded upon if one considers oneself a RPG veteran?

There hasnt been many truly exceptional CRPGs in the last 10 years

Knights of the Chalice I-II - great games
Kenshi - morrowind spiritual successor with a squad twist
Grimoire - wiz7 on steroids
Underrail - cult classic
Escape from the Pit - great remake of a cult classic
Legend of Grimrock I-II - was a hit
Neo Scavenger - very cleverly designed little game
Brigand Oaxaca - Morrowind/Deus ex spiritual successor
Tales of Maj Eyal - possibly GOAT roguelike RPG

And recently Space Wreck which is very well designed and Generforge 1 remake

And you still have Colony Ship, Urban Strife (JA2 successor), Archaeland, Call of Saregnar and SKALD too look out for

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Knights of the Chalice I-II - great games
Kenshi - morrowind spiritual successor with a squad twist
Grimoire - wiz7 on steroids
Underrail - cult classic
Escape from the Pit - great remake of a cult classic
Legend of Grimrock I-II - was a hit
Neo Scavenger - very cleverly designed little game
Brigand Oaxaca - Morrowind/Deus ex spiritual successor
Tales of Maj Eyal - possibly GOAT roguelike RPG
Age of Decadence - The great filter

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wizards in the Pillars of Eternity games never "felt" impactful or powerful to me compared to full casters in other systems, but then, no class feels impactful or powerful due to Balance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom