Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is HL2 innovative? DISCUSS

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
[Edit]: I never asked for this to be a separate topic but whatcha gonna do...

Fallout 3 looked worse than Half-Life 2, which was released in 2004, remember?
Gameplay-wise HL2 was a pinnacle of innovation, no arguing here, but visually... sorry, it was barely OK for 2004. Particularly, lighting was total crap so everything looked flat including character models. Now FO3 didn't look like a proper 2008 game (e.g. Crysis Warhead) but it was a solid lightyear ahead of HL2 in terms of gfx tech.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Gameplay-wise HL2 was a pinnacle of innovation, no arguing here, but visually... sorry, it was barely OK for 2004. Particularly, lighting was total crap so everything looked flat including character models. Now FO3 didn't look like a proper 2008 game (e.g. Crysis Warhead) but it was a solid lightyear ahead of HL2 in terms of gfx tech.

new-meme-oh-you-make-me-cry-laughing_fb_415341.jpg

pippin

Half Life 2 looks great. At least they could manage to do good facial animations and somewhat coherent physics.
Insert image of Dogmeat flying in the air here.

Pinnacle of innovation? HL2? Jumping and crawling puzzles. Long walks. Live cinematics. Gimmicky predefined physics setups. What was the innovation?

Athelas

Arcane
Well, it was ported to consoles, no? I imagine basic health care would be considered an innovation in many third world countries.

Doktor Best

Arcane
HL2 was basically a tech demo for the source engine, which revolutionized the physics engine and motion capturing in computer games.

It only delivered on the technical aspect but well atleast it delivered there, whereas fallout3 was like christmas for a little kid and instead of a lego castle it got sexual abuse as present.

granit

Scholar
HL2 one of the most overhyped piece of shit games out there. Why it is so popular I will probably never understand. Its shit.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
It's a shooter with horrible gunplay, i'll never understand how people like that game let alone saying it has ''INNOVATIVE GAMEPLAY''

Mech

Cipher
HL2 one of the most overhyped piece of shit games out there. Why it is so popular I will probably never understand. Its shit.
If HL2 is shit, what FPS do you consider awesome?

Black

Arcane
The fuck was innovative about HL2? What about it changed the FPS games forever?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
For the sake of educating the ignorami I'll answer as is that were a serious question.

HL2 featured physics simulation and physics-based puzzles as significant parts of gameplay. E.g. Gravity Gun. Today it doesn't sound like much but before HL2 the closest thing to using physics in FPS gameplay was rocket jump.

Black

Arcane
For the sake of educating the ignorami I'll answer as is that were a serious question.

HL2 featured physics simulation and physics-based puzzles as significant parts of gameplay. E.g. Gravity Gun. Today it doesn't sound like much but before HL2 the closest thing to using physics in FPS gameplay was rocket jump.
A lot of games prior to HL2 had "physics" puzzles even if they weren't as "great" as physics of HL2. Which still doesn't answer the question, how did it change FIRST PERSON SHOOTER games, because I doubt you think of physics puzzles when somebody mentions the term "FPS".

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Which still doesn't answer the question, how did it change FIRST PERSON SHOOTER games, because I doubt you think of physics puzzles when somebody mentions the term "FPS".
Decline is universal. Why make physics like in HL2 or AI like in FEAR when you can make mindless online shooters that sell like hot pies? Which brings us back to Falllout and Bethesda. Just like Bethesda is a symbol of RPG decline, Activision is a symbol of FPS decline.

granit

Scholar

What? Quake 3 has "better" physics. What are you smoking? Stop it with the HL2 fake hype

Black

Arcane
Which still doesn't answer the question, how did it change FIRST PERSON SHOOTER games, because I doubt you think of physics puzzles when somebody mentions the term "FPS".
Decline is universal. Why make physics like in HL2 or AI like in FEAR when you can make mindless online shooters that sell like hot pies? Which brings us back to Falllout and Bethesda. Just like Bethesda is a symbol of RPG decline, Activision is a symbol of FPS decline.
I thought you were talking about how HL2 was incline and innovation when it comes to FPS games?

granit

Scholar
Next someone is going to say that Avatar was an innovative movie.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Here is a game released before Half-Life 2 that did the physics-based shooter (albeit third-person shooter) much better
Like you said, Psi-Ops wasn't a first-person game. It also couldn't possibly influence HL2 because "before" here is 5 months before. But I agree that it did make good use of physics.

I thought you were talking about how HL2 was incline and innovation when it comes to FPS games?
HL2 and FEAR were incline but good times didn't last long because X360 and PS3 were already on their way and smelled like money printing machines.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Yeah, you've yet to argue how HL2 was incline as far as FPS are considered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom