Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Is Shadowrun Returns a cRPG? Case study

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
This is the "If I don't like it its not a real RPG" fallacy yet again.

If you limit the definition to only the small subset of games you enjoy, it becomes meaningless.

It's got combat, progression, and items; it's a (lousy) cRPG.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

If you limit the definition to only the small subset of games you enjoy, it becomes meaningless.

As oppose to the "If I like it then it's a real RPG" fallacy yet again.

If you don't have some kind of tighter definition that relates more to the giants of the genre, the term RPG becomes not only meaningless but potentially fraudulent.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane

I didn't say I liked it. I agree with all your criticisms. But consider this:

NBA Jam and NBA 2k17 are both basketball games

Tecmo Bowl and Madden NFL 2017 are both football games

Kunio Kun no Nekketsu Soccer and FIFA 17 are both soccer games

and they're ALL "Sports" games. See how this works?

Genres are inclusive, not exclusive. If you want to drill down into subgenres like "casual RPG" "tactics RPG" "dungeon crawler RPG" go right ahead. But saying NBA Jam isn't a "real" basketball game because it lacks the detail and depth of another game is foolishness.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

I didn't say I liked it. I agree with all your criticisms. But consider this:

NBA Jam and NBA 2k17 are both basketball games

Tecmo Bowl and Madden NFL 2017 are both football games

Kunio Kun no Nekketsu Soccer and FIFA 17 are both soccer games

and they're ALL "Sports" games. See how this works?

Genres are inclusive, not exclusive. If you want to drill down into subgenres like "casual RPG" "tactics RPG" "dungeon crawler RPG" go right ahead. But saying NBA Jam isn't a "real" basketball game because it lacks the detail and depth of another game is foolishness.

Apples and oranges. Sports games have grown up being lumped together as such. However, all fantasy games are not RPGs, the term RPG specifically relates to a mechanical system or systems, as that is how the genre grew up. You could argue "it doesn't have to be like that" for RPGs, but that's you fantasising about a potential future rather than talking about the reality of the past or the expectations of the here and now.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Gameplay-wise, Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall are barely distinguishable from tb squad-based tactics games like JA2 and X-Com, except for a slightly more detailed story and the PnP rpg setting.

Is the china one really that much more cRPGey? I have a hard time buying that.

Mustawd

Holy fuck, so many 2017 and 2018 join dates ITT.

Might have to go to the doctor and get a pap smear, cuz this shit is definitely giving me cancer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's an RPG because you create a character with custom stats, skills, and appearance, and as you progress through the game you gain experience by solving quests, which you can then use to increase your character's stats.

How is this not an RPG?

Big Wrangle

It's an RPG because you create a character with custom stats, skills, and appearance, and as you progress through the game you gain experience by solving quests, which you can then use to increase your character's stats.

How is this not an RPG?
Only good RPGs are real RPGs, obviously.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

How is this not an RPG?
Only good RPGs are real RPGs, obviously.

To be fair, I covered this in the OP. You're not addressing what it doesn't have, you're just addressing what it does have. If the only criteria is character creation + exp from quests to further extend character development, then it's no wonder every man-jack decides to call their game an RPG if they think they can squeeze more sales from it, from Assassin's Creed to... well...

Like Borderlands!

:happytrollboy:

If someone is developing an RPG, and they establish character diversity and then level it tied to exp, then surely that's just the first step in making an RPG, not the final design. Take Diablo, for instance, a game considered to be RPG-lite with most everything stripped down to it's bare aRPG streamline, the game still has all the elements of an RPG aside from a p&p origin to its mechanics. It also has character creation with custom stats, skills and appearance which, as you progress through the game you gain experience by solving quests, which you can then use to increase your character's stats, but Diablo is not discussed in GRPG. Shadowrun, which has quantifiably less RPG mechanics and expectations than Diablo is somehow a GRPG game? Even though I managed to find some enjoyment from it, I still felt somewhat cheated and defrauded as a result...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In an old discussion I had with the late great Excidium which I can't find now, I once claimed that a certain game was "less of an RPG" than another game.

Excidium took great exception to that. There's no such thing as "less of an RPG", he said, only a bad RPG. At the time I thought he was overreacting, but there's a lot of wisdom in that.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

In an old discussion I had with the late great Excidium which I can't find now, I once claimed that a certain game was "less of an RPG" than another game.

Excidium took great exception to that. There's no such thing as "less of an RPG", he said, only a bad RPG. At the time I thought he was overreacting, but there's a lot of wisdom in that.

Or simple laziness, both of mind and keyboard fingers.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
I think pretty much everyone wanted more content and depth from Shadowrun than what we got. I recall keenly at the time when I complained about this fanboys would storm out of the woodwork screeching "IT WAS A KICKSTARTER GAME THEY DID THE BEST THEY COULD."

Hahahahaha I don't hear that excuse as much any more. In any case I never played the sequels, did they ever add any more real depth?

I will say I was surprised at the content of Battletech given HBS's history. Now just take the open mission design of that game and make a real Shadowrun title pretty please.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I think pretty much everyone wanted more content and depth from Shadowrun than what we got. I recall keenly at the time when I complained about this fanboys would storm out of the woodwork screeching "IT WAS A KICKSTARTER GAME THEY DID THE BEST THEY COULD."

It's about time-management combined with the skills of your team.

Serpents in the Staglands only had a handful of people, got a pittance from a Kickstarter & made a kinda non-complete RPG... but their RPG actually felt like and played like a cRPG, a fully fledged one with all the expected facets of a good cRPG. They seemed to know what they were doing and had the skills to implement an RPG system and it's gameplay. It felt lacking, but not in a mechanics or genre deficient way, just in a lack of actual content, similar to Baldur's Gate 1's many non-maps interspersed with higher content maps.

For Shadowrun Returns they appeared to have more money and greater artistic skills, but completely lacked any knowledge or skills at creating any sense RPG mechanics or gameplay. They appeared to have spent an awful lot of time and effort producing beautiful screensavers that have zero impact on the game. See that row of offices behind the glass wall? You can't go there. See that part of the city behind a fence? You can't go there. See all the detail on that advertising billboard? You can't interact with that.

I can't help feeling that Shadowrun Returns (Dead Man's Switch) devs are not really that much different to many people's example of a modern AAA RPG dev team, in that all they're giving us are pretty pictures, first and foremost, and everything after that is more of a tack-on.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
The answer is obviously yes. Yes...it is a kind of role-playing game that one can play on his or her pc. What a fucking stupid question.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hold your horses people! We still haven't decided on What is an RPG! How could we assess if SR is a cRPG or not without that?!

Joking aside, of course it is an cRPG you faggot!

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
IncendiaryDevice thinks I'm retarded for pointing out the obvious. Tell me IncendiaryDevice; what makes Shadowrun Returns not a kind of role-playing game that one plays on his or her PC? Or are you just a fucking retarded button masher?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom