Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is the state of gaming really as bad as people claim?

Trotsky

Arcane
Sales have never been better and even codexers buy the latest shit despite griping all the time. I'm not sure what to think anymore.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's subjective. Throughout all the years, ever since the dawn of gaming, there have been shitty trends and shitty games. Many of us codexers are old grumpy dudes that are filled with nostalgia about the games that we loved in our youth. After your cherry has been popped by certain games in your youth you'll never feel the same way again. Certainly, the AAAA over-budget market has gone too far into derpiness the latter years, but this shit has always happened in various degrees. There definitely are some very good, new games.

KK1001

Arbiter
Every single AAA game of the past decade has been mediocre at best and absolutely garbage at worst.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Games are shit because game studios are shit and are run by idiots, hiring idiots doing idiot shit.

The problem with the games industry today is that developers don't give a shit beyond doing their job. Yeah, they work overtime for scraps but that's attributed to the bad management of game studios and not the ambition of employees.

There aren't any young creative designers picked out from the Q/A-department to design new games like in the old days. It's like in music. Take almost any rock or metal band, and you'll see that their best album is, if not their debut, one of their earlier albums. Young, highly influenced and ambitious. That's when creativity shines.

The games industry and studios shits on people who aren't already established.
And everybody who are established and working in cRPG design today are old and impotent, shriveled up and dry, senile and confused.

The only way for people to break in are through indie games development and who the hell would submit themselves to that?
There was a glimmer of hope when people could create modules for NWN and such, and get hired that way. But there isn't anything like that today, because see the previous paragraph.

Not even crowdfunding could save this sinking ship.
The only thing that can save it is a nuclear explosion at E3 2016.

EDIT: I thought this was a crpg thread but this goes for any genre.

tred

Augur
Unfortunately it is indeed pure shit. With each new release (Wasteland 2, POE) we see more clearly that the light is gone.
Can you name a crpg that was released in the last ten years that is truly superior to it's predecessors (besides graphics)? I wish I could. The last game I paid for was Fallout 2 fifteen years ago and I have no regrets.

Unfortunately it is indeed pure shit. With each new release (Wasteland 2, POE) we see more clearly that the light is gone.
Can you name a crpg that was released in the last ten years that is truly superior to it's predecessors (besides graphics)? I wish I could. The last game I paid for was Fallout 2 fifteen years ago and I have no regrets.
the witcher series?
still it's just a drop in the ocean.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just shelled out some 60€ for MGSV:TPP and Stasis, so clearly everything is total shit.

I actually like how comments like this actually prove what they are attempting to disprove.

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Yeah no. Just a reflection of the members' reactionary positions or their lack of mental health in general. Whatever happens the paranoia and defensive attitude will be cultivated, because it became a question of identity. There isn't any truth value to it. The idea in itself that everything is bad doesn't mean anything, you can keep working on that idea and proving it in all kinds of different ways - the burden of proof disappears when you can just twist things and always see something lacking, which there always will be. But this is good, because it proves indirectly that video games have an artistic potential - this kind of debate always was central in the history of the arts. There always were assholes who said that art was slipping and humanity failing, forgetting that good works of arts are rare in all eras. This shit isn't rational; it's a form of rationalization at best

Orion

Cipher
There has been a sharp decline in average IQ of PC owners since the 1980s with the democratization of tech and cheaper prices. Games are just following the market.

tormund

Arcane
As always it depends on genre e.g. fans of proper PC centric fpp shooters are fucked.
This.

Certain genres and subgenres get a steady stream of new releases, from AAA, indie or KS sources. Others, like any sort of PC centric shooters, from Doom to Unreal, are dead, and players that enjoy those games are limited to mods for old games. Singleplayer squad based shooters like RS or SWAT 4 are another example.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sales have never been better and even codexers buy the latest shit despite griping all the time. I'm not sure what to think anymore.

Gaming journalism developed mostly independent of mainstream journalism, a pretty big business that is backed up by some pretty big conglomerates which allows them to spit in the eye of some pretty powerful people and organizations from time to time. The average politician needs the press far more than the press needs the average politician. Gaming journalists started life as a bunch of nerds running blogs. They couldn't stand up to big publishing houses like EA or Ubisoft in the same way, so the companies got license to do pretty much whatever without much in the way of condemnation coming from the press.

Last edited:

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course not, they have never been better

Compare+cod+to+games+like+doom+3+_0d67827167e5155714a560675c868264.jpg

Old-Games-vs-New-Games.jpg

rpg-dragon-age-2-vs-planescape-torment-43F04350441043E0447043D0438044604300-538328_zps9b538221.jpeg

No popular culture product has declined. None!

The-Simpsons.jpg

And it's not like we have heard CEOs talking about streamlining, simplifying, following demographic trends or anything like that. And certainly no one has reduced gameplay to give a more cinematic feel to their games. And no one would dare to create something as comical as a... "walking simulator" and receive a Game of the Year Award for that.

-------------------------------------

True, I may suffer a bit from gamer hyperbolic dementia, but I think the main argument still holds true.

Delbaeth

Learned
You have:
1. more people coming into games
2. more games
3. more sales

So should we be happy, then?
Instead, you have:
1. only a few number of games monopolizing the audience
2. almost the whole audience doesn't know what a real video game is (or just don't care)
3. most of new games are scams
4. most of sales are done during big sales or bundles

Big publishers are struggling and instead of increasing quality, they increase the number of ways to pressure customers (microtransactions, DLCs, unfinished games and so on).
Big mobile developers are struggling, their 'honeymoon' is coming to an end.
Indie developers are struggling, the indie bubble is coming to a crash, with Steam no curation.
Crowdfunding is struggling, we aren't in the Kickstarter mania anymore for 2 years.
Big Indies or AA are struggling, not sure what they should try, a few sticking to heavy prices, while other go full DLCs like AAA publishers.
Video arcade games are almost dead.
Even pachinkos are struggling.

How could be expect quality when most of people only play TF2 or f2p mobile, and don't care about anything else?
Sure you can buy a game for $1 or $2, but is it a good thing in the end?
And if retrogaming is a thing for years, it proves that modern gaming isn't good as expected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom