Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Is the Vita still shit?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah yes, another one of these kinds of threads. I feel the need to ask this since my commute to work is about two hours long yet I still find myself playing TxK, Don't Starve and Zen Pinball 2 over and over and over again. So, to get straight to the point, is there anything recently made on the Vita that's worth checking out or taking another look at?

What I've played so far, that hasn't been previously mentioned:
  1. Persona 4 Golden (It was alright)
  2. Rayman Legends (Kind of boring)
  3. Ragnarok Odyssey (which I found to be shit)
  4. Unit 13 (the less we all speak about it the better)
  5. Uncharted (couldn't stand more than 10 minutes of it)
  6. Soul Sacrifice demo
  7. Disgaea 4 demo
  8. Ys Celceta (Pretty good)
  9. Demon Gaze (Simplistic but nice dungeon crawler)
  10. Operation Abyss (Step up from Demon Gaze, step down from original)
Probably some other stuff too. I'm looking for something that's pretty lengthy, maybe a JRPG. PSP and PS1 games are fine to mention too. Imported games can also be mentioned, I guess, but I've never tried a moonrune-only game so I'm still hesitant about that.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've been eyeing Vita, but I'm waiting for the new SaGa game to be announced for (and released in) the West, plus some other upcoming title I forget, before I can convince myself to buy it.

Currently, the only games on Vita that I really want to play are Ys Celceta and Operation Abyss, which isn't quite enough for me to pick it up.

Have you played Conception II? I know it's some kind of creepy Jpn fanservice game, but apparently it's a dungeon crawler RPG as well so I'm curious.

There are also a couple of Atelier games on the Vita, in case you haven't played those on PS3 or whatever platform they originally came out for.

Siveon

Bot
I've been eyeing Vita, but I'm waiting for the new SaGa game to be announced for (and released in) the West, plus some other upcoming title I forget, before I can convince myself to buy it.

Currently, the only games on Vita that I really want to play are Ys Celceta and Operation Abyss, which isn't quite enough for me to pick it up.

Have you played Conception II? I know it's some kind of creepy Jpn fanservice game, but apparently it's a dungeon crawler RPG as well so I'm curious.

There are also a couple of Atelier games on the Vita, in case you haven't played those on PS3 or whatever platform they originally came out for.

Well, there's that Trails in the Sky Action RPG set in high school. Something something Cold Steel. That's coming out later. There's also the EDF 2 port coming onto the Vita, which I am looking forward to but isn't out until September. There's also a few decent sounding indie ports like Axiom Verge and Darkest Dungeon, but again, unreleased. SaGa is an upshot whether it'll be localized especially since Square is being pretty stingy about what they bring over here nowadays. Lastly there's Dungeon Girls 2 (or something like that) which was seemed pretty meh in the demo to bother.

As for Conception II, I tried the demo to it and boy was it a snoozefest, the dungeons were linear, the plot just kept going on and on and the combat wasn't anything special to keep interest after the ~30 minute demo was over.

I've never tried anything Atelier related on the PS3 but every impression I got from everyone was some sort of mix between an open-ish JRPG and Reccetear. Could be good but that shit is digital only and my memory card is only 4 gig big. A decent memory card (32 or 64) is like 60 or 90 dollars. So, it's hard to tell if it's worth all the trouble.

monster hunter is alright for a few hundred hours

so is wipeout

aaand thats the sum of all games i played on my psp brick

I've done my time with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite but Wipeout does look good and it is really cheap. Same goes for LBP, actually.

I'd suggest Danganronpa 1 and 2, murder mysteries where imprisoned high schoolers try to off each other and get away with it for a 'get out of this death trap free' card. All the while taunted by the mysterious mastermind in the form of a cute/demented bear mascot.

Siveon

Bot
I've given that one considerable thought, so it's actually quite a possibility that I'll try at least one of them out in the future. Though, since it's a VN thing, I'll probably finish both in like a week.

Siveon

Bot
Not much of a glowing endorsement, but I'll take your word for it.

Siveon

Bot
Physical is preferred but I'd be willing to bite the bullet. My favorite game on the thing, TxK, is purely digital so it's not a huge deal-breaker.

I knew I was gonna have to get one of those 16gb+ memory cards anyway.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I play Lumines: Electrical Symphony every now and then. It's the Vita's Tetris.
I guess you have played Yactics Ogre and FF Tactics. I know they are PSP games but those are the first two games I'd recommend.
If ou have any interest in the FF series, FFI-X are playable on it.
Legend of Heroes was decent and I am waiting for Second chapter. Going to pick up Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 when they are out.
If you thought Celceta was decent, you could always give Ys Seven a go.
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is a solid VN. I don't usually play those, but this offers a lot of playtime if you want to complete everything.
If you like beat 'em ups, I am enjoying Dragon's Crown.
Geometry Wars 3 is also solid. A twin stick shooter that I like despite being awful at.

Yet a few more unreleased games include Salt & Sanctuary (Souls ripoff in 2D), Ys 8, SaGa 2015 and the new Odin Sphere.

Siveon

Bot
There is Tetris on the Vita, I believe, but I've taken a look at Lumines and it does look like another good time waster to add to my collection.
I'll finally try out Tactics Ogre but if I'm playing FFT again it's going to be with some kind of mod since I already beat like 85% of the game already. At least TO is on sale for...10 bucks?! That's a sale? Fuck SE in the corn hole.
Frankly I have no interest in the FF series whatsoever, aside from VI and IX, and I already have the latter (I refuse to play through bad loading times). Maybe I'll stop being such a bitch about playing PSX games on my Vita and actually try them out.
Already have Legend of Heroes for PC and I'm planning on going through 1 & 2 on it. Probably gonna pick up Cold Steel since Falcom + Action RPG = Hype.
Good point, forgot about Seven.
I wasn't in the right mood when I first tried it out on PS Plus (text dumps, ho!) but I could always give it another go.
Seems meaty enough, how's the playtime?
Didn't know that was even on the Vita, thanks!

I still have my doubts about SaGa being localized, but I am looking forward to at least hearing about S&S, Ys 8 and Odin Sphere.

For my resident Vita goers, are any of you interested in playing EDF 2 at all? I just realized it has online so that might also be cool.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
About Dragon's Crown: I haven't played very much myself, to be honest. I got the PSV version via PS+ but I also have the PS3 version bought since it released. I'm now playing it on both systems thanks to cross save. I'm expecting that it will last me for around 25 hours or so? Not entirely sure.

I bought a 64GB card and have most of my digital PSP/PSX games on the Vita. Another srpg is Wild ARMS FX. Not as good as Tactics Ogre or FFT, still a very solid game.

Siveon

Bot
I'll check it out, but I heard there was some slowdown for the Vita port? I'll still get it, but I kinda want to know. I'm no newbie to the PSP, so I already know about stuff like Wild ARMS FX.

I'm still annoyed that some PSP games still aren't on the Vita. I miss my go-to grindan games like Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Dragon's Crown does have slowdown on Vita when there's lots going on. If you aren't very sensitive, it's playable, imo.

Siveon

Bot
Fair enough, I've played PS2 games before so I can get into it.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I see that the PS TV (which plays most Vita games) is on sale for $37 on Amazon. Is it worth picking up?

Courtier

Prophet
Is it worth picking up?
It doesn't work with all games so you'll have to look up whether the ones you own do. If you really want to play them on the big screen with a ps3 controller and stuff I'd say go for it, $37 is decent. Remember that you don't have touchscreen functionality with it, and even though there's a sort of replacement using buttons for it, games that rely on the touchscreen are pretty much unplayable with the PS TV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom