Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there a game sort of like WoW and Everquest just without quests, with more a focus on exploration and crafting skills(Particulary fishing)?

FrogTheToad

Barely Literate
Looking for a MMORPG sort like WoW and Everquest in design(So not Runescape), without any form of quests or extremely optional quests. A MMORPG focused more about exploration, discovery, and killing mobs.

It was something I always thought was cool about Everquest 1, is you could just go off and not do a single quest. Just taking in the atmosphere and cool zones, would be cool if there was a game with compelling and interesting zones with a lot of stuff to explore and look at. While I don't expect WoW level zones, it would be cool if they were interesting locales. Like the Barrens of WoW, or Emerald Jungle of Everquest 1. Particularly zones like the Emerald Jungle with is massiveness and interesting places to find.

Also this would just be nice, but not necessary, if there was a quite extensive fishing system. No mechanic like WoW, just something like put bait on, put line down, get fish. It'd be cool if it had a massive amount unique fish to collect as well, and what I mean by crafting skills, I don't want survival mechanics more like your typical MMO fare.

anarchy online perhaps? barely any quest, randomly generated dungeons on demand, awesome crafting, even too much mob killing, but "exploration" (no idea what you really mean) is pretty pointless (the place is inhumanly huge) and absolutely no fishing.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There was a perfect one called Vanguard Saga of Heroes but it died after a decade or so. It is being remade with an emulator so you could play that but the combat is a long way off. It is like EQ but it has 3 different spheres, the usual adventurers doing fighting and quests, or you can be a crafter which travels the world looking for rare materials and making things in the crafting mini game. Or you can do Diplomacy which is like a card game. You might like it.

ind33d

Educated
is Ultima Online still playable? i owned a boxed copy but never played it because i'm a psychopath

FrogTheToad

Barely Literate
Why not play WoW Classic or EQ 1 on emulation servers? Those do what you're asking for the best.
I have tried both, I might do that with WoW Classic, but EQ1 I've a played metric shit ton and while Everquest 1 has the smalls details I'm looking for. Not huge fan of the class design.

is Ultima Online still playable? i owned a boxed copy but never played it because i'm a psychopath
While I don't mind a little grinding, I find Ultima Online to be kinda dull.

Sounds like you want one of those Korean Grind MMOs. May God have mercy on your soul.
I would play one if it awarded exploration, and had well designed zones but I generally don't like intense grind of those games.
There was a perfect one called Vanguard Saga of Heroes but it died after a decade or so. It is being remade with an emulator so you could play that but the combat is a long way off. It is like EQ but it has 3 different spheres, the usual adventurers doing fighting and quests, or you can be a crafter which travels the world looking for rare materials and making things in the crafting mini game. Or you can do Diplomacy which is like a card game. You might like it.
I played it and enjoy it but my major gripe is all the enemies are super close together, like you only need to go a few feet to encounter the next level mobs and ad infinitum. I'd like the element of EQ of going through a journey in the zone to find the next group of mobs.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I love it, my number 1 game with EQ. Some unfinished parts but the good bits are great. I used to like playing multiple characters at once. It started with just a tank and healer and then I added a Bard too, and eventually I ran a whole group. I used some free software to make it easy to control all 6 at once.

deama

Prophet
Do you care if it has combat at all?

Kinda sounds like a minecraft multiplayer server with mods is what you're looking for, something like with the distant landscapes mod at minimum:

There should be plenty of mods that slap progression into it.

Or if that's not your thing, can try terraria instead, with lvl up rpg mods and whatnot.

But if you're looking for more of an MMORPG, without really any quests and more your own thing. I think mortal online is probably your best bet, there's no real quests there other than the tutorial ones, and it has some decent exploration. In fact, there's instances where exploring is quite good because you'll get to discover special landscapes or "server thresholds" that sort of desync the player for a few seconds while they load to a new node, allowing you to abuse it when other players don't know about these things.
It also has a pretty big emphasis on player crafting.

NwNgger

Educated
You read as exceptionally homosexual. Your tastes disgust me and I hope you never find a game you like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom