Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*IT* IS COMING. (Diablo 3 beta)

Kraszu

Prophet
Implementing a hotkey for potion would push the release date? I find it hard to believe. They have hotkey system already.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Now if you don't mind me going off on a tangent. I was just checking out the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter trailer. Let's ignore the cringe worthy dialogue and action sequences for a second and focus on something else. The high heels. WTF WAS UP WITH THE HIGH HEELS?
:x

Yeah besides that, the game looks okay.
:M

Castanova

Prophet
Kraszu said:
Implementing a hotkey for potion would push the release date? I find it hard to believe. They have hotkey system already.

Implementing a new hotkey means implementing new interface elements. It also means that their programmers, who are already probably working 18 hours a day, would have to ignore something else of higher importance in order to find time to execute the new feature. And what about XYZ new feature that's also convenient but not critical? Can't they implement that too without pushing release? So, yeah, it sounds trivial but it's not. Plus, I bet they've got a bug tracker with like 10,000 open bugs listed right now that have to be fixed.

The restricted UI is quite amusing when you keep in mind that it would probably take me a grand total of 5 mins to whip up a script that you instantly respec/change out skills/weapon swap/etc with the push of a single button.

Castanova said:
Those answers are from a Community Manager. In other words, a guy who mods a forum for a living. Something tells me he doesn't exactly have his finger on the pulse of why the game designers are doing what they're doing.

Those answers are from a Community Manager. In other words, a guy who makes a living from know how not to piss your playerbase off with what you say online. Something tells me that if he is doing his job right then he wouldn't be saying shit that anyone with two eyes can see would piss your player base off if he didn't have it cleared from higher up.

Implementing a new hotkey means implementing new interface elements. It also means that their programmers, who are already probably working 18 hours a day, would have to ignore something else of higher importance in order to find time to execute the new feature. And what about XYZ new feature that's also convenient but not critical? Can't they implement that too without pushing release? So, yeah, it sounds trivial but it's not. Plus, I bet they've got a bug tracker with like 10,000 open bugs listed right now that have to be fixed.

You are joking, right? Right? RIGHT? Assigning a hotkey is the kind of job you would give to a $7.25 an hour intern who just finished his first week at the company.

Needles

Scholar
Diablo Economy website
:salute:

also:
Blizzard said:
Eine Mechanik entsprechend der dualen Talentverteilung, wie es sie bei World of Warcraft gibt, ist derzeit nicht geplant für Diablo III.Wir gehen unterschiedlichen Möglichkeiten nach, wie man das System gestalten kann, dass es möglichst viele Freiräume bietet, aber man nicht das Gefühl hat als müsse man die ganze Zeit mit offenem Skill-Fenster durch die Gegend laufen, um mitten im Kampf auf umständliche Weise die Fähigkeiten seines Charakters der derzeitigen Situation anzupassen. Zurück zu der Stadt gehen zu müssen, wäre uns zum Beispiel zu restriktiv und würde dem Spielspaß eher Schaden. Eine Option wäre vielleicht den Prozess ein paar Sekunden kanalisieren zu müssen, damit das Austauschen nicht direkt im Kampf möglich ist.Was sind eure Gedanken dazu?

Just fucking disable respec you faggots.
It's kind of sad that Blizz design decisions regarding D3 make me rage more than any other dev's at the moment. For some reason I've been under the impression that Blizzard would be immune to the decline (I know, according to some, they actually started it... which might or might not be true, but in my opinion they always managed not to fuck up too badly the next time around).

Gregz

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
The restricted UI is quite amusing when you keep in mind that it would probably take me a grand total of 5 mins to whip up a script that you instantly respec/change out skills/weapon swap/etc with the push of a single button.

You are joking, right? Right? RIGHT? Assigning a hotkey is the kind of job you would give to a $7.25 an hour intern who just finished his first week at the company.

Yup, the real fun will be watching the arms race between the botters and Blizzard. Especially with the AH sales being so conventient for casual gamers.

Needles

Scholar
By the way, if someone is interested: First public emu has been done a few minutes ago (damn these hackers are fast). You can't do shit except log in and run around with your character.

https://github.com/raistlinthewiz/d3sharp/wiki/FAQ the FAQ

http://www.mediafire.com/?8h2w279wz49yanp stuff you need (compiled).

http://www.blizzhackers.cc/viewtopic.php?f=236&t=483696 IRC chan (also #d3sharp)

5fhkjb.jpg

I don't have anything to do with the effort, so don't ask me.

Interesting

Educated
This is will fun to keep a watch on.

Hackers/Bots/Exploiters/Farmers vs Blizzard

its important to note that Blizzard has been making DEFENSIVE design decisions since the beggining of the project and they will certainly be doing reactive design decisions weeks after the game releases. I cant wait to see the battle unfolds.
Another thing of notice, is that the number of hackers/etc (and therefore the quality its bound to have some decent ones) interested in this game will be huge, alongside all kind of people interested in making money through the real money marketplace (i.e. hacks/exploits/automation/knowledge).
Blizzard will try to remain on top of the nastyness, Im sure I will waste a lot of time in the most insidious internet corners doing my leecher homework.

Castanova

Prophet
Overweight Manatee said:

Um, no? Unless you plan on supporting the new keyboard command via a readme.txt file (which Blizzard doesn't tend to do), you need to implement the hotkey, the functionality, and the new GUI elements. Yes, it's easy but so is any of the other 1,000 items on their to-do list.

Look, if you've never worked in a professional programming environment with project management procedures in place, then you really shouldn't be judging. Programming big pieces of software with large teams produces lots of minor situations just like this that, taken out of context, seem retarded indeed.

Castanova

Prophet
Needles said:
By the way, if someone is interested: First public emu has been done a few minutes ago (damn these hackers are fast). You can't do shit except log in and run around with your character.

Not even your character, you have to use the character it gives you. Anyway, I was on their IRC channel when this got released. The guy hardcoded a whole shitload of stuff to get it to work and you still can't do anything except walk around a single area. There are no monsters and you can't talk to any NPCs. I think a real emulator is a long way off.

Castanova said:
Overweight Manatee said:

Um, no? Unless you plan on supporting the new keyboard command via a readme.txt file (which Blizzard doesn't tend to do), you need to implement the hotkey, the functionality, and the new GUI elements. Yes, it's easy but so is any of the other 1,000 items on their to-do list.

Look, if you've never worked in a professional programming environment with project management procedures in place, then you really shouldn't be judging. Programming big pieces of software with large teams produces lots of minor situations just like this that, taken out of context, seem retarded indeed.

Hotkey should be as simple as binding a key to a function, the functionality already exists (you can drink potions manually), and there are no new GUI elements needed at all (unless you count adding an option in a config menu, which should be handled automatically if you have a decent setup).

I feel bad for whatever shop you work at. When a customer puts in a request for a feature like this I can push out an update to the test setup in 10 mins at the most.

Castanova

Prophet
The point isn't the ten minutes it takes the junior programmer to do it. It's:

1) A decision-making designer needs to read the user feedback
2) His boss told him the game is feature complete so he needs to decide he wants to fight for this
3) He needs to fight for the new feature
4) Once approved he needs to put it into the system
5) The project manager needs to assign it and prioritize it
6) Junior programmer programs it
7) Internal tester needs to spend time testing it
8) Needs to be pushed out to a wider test base

Altogether that's probably a couple hours plus the game designer is putting his ass on the line for pushing features in after it's feature complete and risking a delay.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Castanova said:
1) A decision-making designer needs to read the user feedback
2) His boss told him the game is feature complete so he needs to decide he wants to fight for this
3) He needs to fight for the new feature
4) Once approved he needs to put it into the system
5) The project manager needs to assign it and prioritize it
6) Junior programmer programs it
7) Internal tester needs to spend time testing it
8) Needs to be pushed out to a wider test base

That's more or less how it works at my place of employment. Hell, I'd probably have to spend nearly 10 minutes on the documentation alone.

bert

Arcane
CrazyLoon said:
Now if you don't mind me going off on a tangent. I was just checking out the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter trailer. Let's ignore the cringe worthy dialogue and action sequences for a second and focus on something else. The high heels. WTF WAS UP WITH THE HIGH HEELS?
:x

Yeah besides that, the game looks okay.
:M

Woah is this a trailer for the new WoW expansion? :retarded:

Castanova

Prophet
Meh, they look fine. This is one of the few contexts where it actually makes sense to have unrealistic-looking armor since you're looking at your character from so far away. Plus, whoever plays Diablo-style games in order to make their guy look cool is a tard anyway.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh right, the game will make up for it with challenging gameplay and multitude of builds.

Cynic

Arcane
Armor sets mostly look totally fucktarded. Some are not too bad, but really...come on. I agree you'll be looking for a zoomed out distance but still some of the Barb stuff is fucking horrendous.

waywardOne

Arcane
Interesting said:
This is will fun to keep a watch on.

Hackers/Bots/Exploiters/Farmers vs Blizzard

its important to note that Blizzard has been making DEFENSIVE design decisions since the beggining of the project and they will certainly be doing reactive design decisions weeks after the game releases. I cant wait to see the battle unfolds.
Another thing of notice, is that the number of hackers/etc (and therefore the quality its bound to have some decent ones) interested in this game will be huge, alongside all kind of people interested in making money through the real money marketplace (i.e. hacks/exploits/automation/knowledge).
Blizzard will try to remain on top of the nastyness, Im sure I will waste a lot of time in the most insidious internet corners doing my leecher homework.

Blizzard is going to get its ass handed to them by magnitudes of derp. Ubisoft was just prep work for the scene. Now that there's a Real Money economy in the game, every scenester from Kiev to Taipei City will be drinking gallons of Red Bull to make every digit of Blizzard server code their bitch.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
When someone is demanding something he should fork the project, work on the fork and implement it himself. That's a simple rule which worked well for me. Junior programmer, intern? That implies hierarchical system which is a disaster in the game development. Game development requires creativity even at "bottom" and basically there is no "bottom". A company where programmers have no initiative, can't alter design decision, and generally only types down what they seen in rigid design document is a company which tends to release bland games like GalCiv2.

Implementing hot key for healing potions implies gameplay based on spemming said potions, which would reduce tactical options and could result in a bland gameplay.

Implementing something like that would require extensive playtesting, and don't forget play testers can occasionally call shitty feature great feature cause they might have rose glasses. So adding something like that would delay release by at least 14 days (or 3 months), and can hurt gameplay quite a bit.

Castanova

Prophet
Angthoron said:
Oh right, the game will make up for it with challenging gameplay and multitude of builds.

Actually, um, yeah? Or are you pretending to judge the game's difficulty by the first hour of the game on Normal? If you have inside information then please, by all means, let us know.

Why don't you get a couple friends, mess around with the skill planner on the Diablo 3 website, and see if you all come up with the same builds. Guess what? You won't.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yes, because there's no hands-on gauging right now. In theory, you can have dozens of different builds for the same class/spec in WoW, too, except you don't, not really.

Once you parse some logs and check out some performances, you can build a one-fits-all type of a build for each class and just roll with it. Noobs can try something different, but that's what noobs are for, to be fodder for cookie'd daddies that bought a tier 2 from cash shop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom